TForce | Linehaul Trailers

cityman

TB Lurker
Credits
Is the company planning on staying running double pups on linehaul or moving to long wagons ? I have not seen one new T Force branded pup trailer.

53ft singles. Less registrations, insurance, wheels,maintenance and no more need for dollies.
What percent won't scale? The people I talk with are heavy on at least one axle as often as not.
On 4 axles on Interstate hi-ways the gross is only 66,000#, and some units have a 51,000# GVR registration.
Where are the tandems you need to safely handle a long van?

I recall ABF going to all vans, about 35 yrs. ago. The big difference was they were 3 axle vans.
Wonder how that worked out long term?

What percent won't scale? The people I talk with are heavy on at least one axle as often as not.
On 4 axles on Interstate hi-ways the gross is only 66,000#, and some units have a 51,000# GVR registration.
Where are the tandems you need to safely handle a long van?
All the road units we use are double axles power units

We can barely get single axle units so I can’t even imagine getting some tandems!

End of the line service centers are the bottom feeders of the business.
We get all the scraps

That's what i've been hearing, and as i stated in another thread, the latest new tractor we got is a tandem liner.

i'm usually gone before outbound leaves at night, and they usually get back before i arrive in the morning, so i'm not sure what we're doing. The last outside road driver i've seen bringing us inbound freight brought in two pups which was last week.

i think 53 vans are the way to go for linehaul. All the time i did linehaul i RARELY had two different trailers going to two different locations. Maybe 15% of the time if that.

That's what i've been hearing, and as i stated in another thread, the latest new tractor we got is a tandem liner.

i'm usually gone before outbound leaves at night, and they usually get back before i arrive in the morning, so i'm not sure what we're doing. The last outside road driver i've seen bringing us inbound freight brought in two pups which was last week.

i think 53 vans are the way to go for linehaul. All the time i did linehaul i RARELY had two different trailers going to two different locations. Maybe 15% of the time if that.
TForce had drivers last week leaving LEX and pulling pups out on their Baltimore slip and meeting at Jane Lew, WV and switching out and bobtailing back to LEX.. Strange occurrences, indeed …

Ok, i had one of those crappy days where nothing works out and got back today around 8:30pm.

Yes, we are using vans for outbound. Using a tandem tractor. So, i'm ASSuming it's van inbound as well, at least our drivers? Like i said, i HAVE seen outside terminal drivers bringing us inbound on pups recently.

Depends on their strategy
Most Nationwide LTL's use pups
Many regionals in the East are strictly big vans
Seeing the prices paid for the Yellow properties, smaller terminals may be the way to go. Equating to more big vans.... (less doors)
Both work for different strategies.