Estes | Looking for info

Tgree

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello. I am currently employed at XPO and looking for a change, for obvious reasons...

I am looking at the Wisconsin terminals and trying to understand the structure at Estes. I have talked to a couple drivers for Estes and have been told there is little to no dock work if you choose. I have heard options such as hostling or just waiting for loads.

My questions:
Is it true for Wisconsin (and maybe other states as well, not sure) that there is no forced dock work?
Could someone break down the different options for bids at Estes? City P&D, Extra board, Line haul, ect. and what they entail? At XPO(in my terminal) we have two options, City P&D and Linehaul. No flex.

Hello. I am currently employed at XPO and looking for a change, for obvious reasons...

I am looking at the Wisconsin terminals and trying to understand the structure at Estes. I have talked to a couple drivers for Estes and have been told there is little to no dock work if you choose. I have heard options such as hostling or just waiting for loads.

My questions:
Is it true for Wisconsin (and maybe other states as well, not sure) that there is no forced dock work?
Could someone break down the different options for bids at Estes? City P&D, Extra board, Line haul, ect. and what they entail? At XPO(in my terminal) we have two options, City P&D and Linehaul. No flex.

It's hard to say for sure as every terminal is different. I can tell you what my terminal does but your best answer is going to come from the terminal you're looking at.

At my terminal, most our p&d guys currently aren't doing dock and that's because they run their asses off. They are doing unloading with pallet jacks at customers though.

Linehaul depends on your run. Some guys do little two hour runs, work dock few hours and come back. Some guys drive all night. Typically the drive all night positions are harder to get as that's what the senior drivers hold. Keep in mind, you're making 20+/hour on the dock as opposed to 0 dollars just sitting in the truck not moving.

I don't know much about how extra board works but I believe they just drive, downside to that is you don't have the hometime regular linehaul guys have.

I'm a jockey at my terminal and we next to never have drivers come help in the yard, even with an extra yard truck being available. The only exception is they might have a driver come out and do some hooks.

I will say, don't be afraid of the dock. I've seen 70 year old guys go in there and be perfectly fine. It's really not too bad at all and sometimes can be a nice break from your typical schedule.

Linehaul / extraboard has no forced dock work. Hub is similar to linehaul but usually has a few hours a night of dock work built into the run.

Are you looking to run the road? If you don't want to work the dock at all, linehaul is what you seek. You'll start off on the extraboard, you'll be out 5 days and off 2. You'll stay in motels. After you've acquired some seniority you'll be able to get a bid run where you'll be home daily or every other day. The only work you'll do other than driving is hooking and breaking your set and sometimes putting them to the door.

Something that's different here than at XPO... your seniority is based on your category. Meaning if someone switches from linehaul to city they start on the bottom of the board. Best way to do things here is to start where you want and stay there.

City P&D- Flat rate per hour, normally no forced dock work but they may ask you to help out if needed.
Combo- You can work P&D, cover linehaul runs, work dock—You can do it all. And when you bid off into P&D or linehaul, your time in combo follows you. Example: Say you worked as Combo for 16 months then a open linehaul run gets added and you want it, you bid on it and get it, then you will carry those 16 months with you now you have 16 months seniority as linehaul.

Linehaul runs are all driving
HUB runs are driving and some dock work
Xtraboard is 5 days out then back 2. My guys get 2700-3000 Miles a week. Several make $2,000/ week