Yellow | Looks like a tight fit to me

Root Access

TB Lurker
Credits
Glad nobody was hurt. This one is going to be very hard to explain at the panel. Good luck to the driver involved. News Link.
05bridgenj3.jpg

Ok I have to ask:rolleyes1: How is this could happen. I seem to remember years ago that I was told all NY bridges were marked a foot less than they really were but that still misses by 6 in. I need to understand cuz I just don't wanna believe a rdwy driver could do this:poster_oops:

In NY City the clearences are definitely marked about a foot less than what they are in actuality. Just take a ride on I 278 (Bklyn Queens Expy. There are signs telling trucks over 12'3'' to exit, but clearly we are able to travel the full length of 278 in Bklyn and Queens without having a clearence problem in a 13'6'' box.

A few weeks ago, I had booked off one day and in my travels found an ABF pup wedged under a local train trestle marked 12'3''. I told the driver to dump the air in his tractor and trailer tires and get the hell out of there before NYPD came around. Well in the process who shows up? NYPD. The cop gave the driver a good tongue thrashing and asked him what should stop him from writing 35 tickets with about $3000 in fines. Somehow the cop must ave been having a good day as he set up flares, told us to keep dumping the air from the tires and get that truck out from under his bridge!! We finally got the truck to the point where he could move it a little and someone from a towing company came by and told us Hiway patrol was also on the way. I told the driver, just ram it out in reverse, you aint gonna do any more damage than already has been done. He got out well before Hiway Patrol got there. Don't know what happened at his job but I was told he's still working.

wolf said:
Ok I have to ask:rolleyes1: How is this could happen. I seem to remember years ago that I was told all NY bridges were marked a foot less than they really were but that still misses by 6 in. I need to understand cuz I just don't wanna believe a rdwy driver could do this:poster_oops:
NY bridges are marked a foot under actual. This accident appeared to be in Ohio.:poster_oops:

Docksteward said:
Oh those signs........I thought they ment that the bridge was 12 feet wide....my bad!!!:hysterical:
:shutup2: DS please tell me your not getting your cdl:bicycle: and will stay on the dock.I'm thinking we would all be safer:bye1:

TheBigR said:
NY bridges are marked a foot under actual. This accident appeared to be in Ohio.:poster_oops:
Chit happens every day and man I have done some stupid things in my career:poster_stupid: :Zzzz: :hypnodisk: Sad part about it nobody but a driver would understand

Yep....that one should be a doozie at Committee!
I hope he just takes time served with no back pay to avoid that one going to the Committee!.......KK

wolf said:
:shutup2: DS please tell me your not getting your cdl:bicycle: and will stay on the dock.I'm thinking we would all be safer:bye1:
Heck, Toxic has been telling me all I need to know to be a trucker!! I've even started giving driving directions using resturants as landmarks!! He also said he could show me how to avoid all of those weigh stations!! Time is money :wink1: LOL DS.

13.6 bridges

There is no excuse for this , it says 12 !
Even in Chicago I was hesitant to go under the 13.6 exactly bridges.

we had a casual about a year & half ago who smashed part of the roof of a st. job he was driving in the Coney Island area. he did not report it at the time of the accident occuring,instead he continued along with his day and returned to the yard. when they asked him what happened, he say he didn't realize any damage existed :rofl2: needless to say, that was his last day. i heard he's at Yellow now driving trailers:hysterical: