XPO | Looks like YRC gonna vote on 5% cut...

OK so maybe you misunderstood what I said. I said they were SMARTER:clap: not genius! Hindsight is 20/20 and i'm pretty sure every CEO in every company has made some mistakes or bad decisions. But who knows, maybe you've never made a bad decision and your perfect. If that's the case then go ahead and burn our leaders from the stakes. If not, then cut them a little slack and realize they are not trying to destroy this company or your job. They are doing everything they THINK is right so that we all have jobs in 6 months. Some people actually believe that Zollars is trying to destroy YRC to prove a point to a certain group of workers (can't say it on this board). I doubt that is true, but i'm pretty sure our upper management isn't trying to hurt YOU:nutkick:

I have burned Dave Miller on here more than once about decisions he has made. Dont drag my decision making into this when you were talking about management. I have cut them alot of slack here as of late because of the economy taking a dump. Before the economy took a crap they spent and spent and spent and WE ALL had wages taken away because of POOR decisions that were made by the UPPER level management. I FULLY understood your post. I dont have millions of dollars to spend so comparing my decision making to there decision making is absolutely stupid.

Dave M. was a poor choice from the outset. I don't know why he was even considered let alone given the postion.

I met talked to them man once at my old barn...stunning arrogance. He may be good at what he does...I don't really know and am not qualified to say one way or the other. But I can honestly make an evaluation based on personal knowledge. His personality definitely isn't the type to be at the forefront and the face of out company.

Rat

I am sticking by my earlier prediction that they will survive ONLY by shrinking at this point.

No LTL has ever shrunk to profitability. Many have tried, tho. Very, very, very tricky thing to do because density is the name of the game in LTL. Not like truckload where it is much easier to shrink capacity to demand.

Barring a sudden and unexpected up-tick in the economy, I believe that YRC's chance of survival at this point is 0%. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not hoping this happens. However, to those of you who think that YRC props up the wages in this biz...you are wrong. They are currently destroying LTL wages and bennies because if the yes vote passes, they will be working for LESS than non-union wages.

No LTL has ever shrunk to profitability. Many have tried, tho. Very, very, very tricky thing to do because density is the name of the game in LTL. Not like truckload where it is much easier to shrink capacity to demand.

Barring a sudden and unexpected up-tick in the economy, I believe that YRC's chance of survival at this point is 0%. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not hoping this happens. However, to those of you who think that YRC props up the wages in this biz...you are wrong. They are currently destroying LTL wages and bennies because if the yes vote passes, they will be working for LESS than non-union wages.

Yep,the race to the bottom is on.:biglaugh:

Unfortunately, you are right for the most part.

The old adage that IBT wages set the bar for the rest of the industry is passe'.

Regardless of what happens to YRC the wage base will remain the same if nothing more than the competition for good drivers.

Companies would have you believe thay can hire just any Joe off the street to so this job....not so or they would be doing it already. These managers seem to think that just because they have an education thay are somehow qualified to accurately evaluate what it takes to do what we do.

Drivers are so used to being unfairly berated by non informed managers they have become numb to what they actually do for a living. These folks see nothing more than numbers...and drivers have become nothing more than numbers. Stops per hour...bills per hour..etc...number crunching for the sake of it.

But I am one who is always willing to learn...

Please Mr. 25 Year Old supervisor tell how to do better pre-trip...tell me how to better negotiate pulling an empty set on solid ice...please inform what is the best way to operate in heavy fog....or a white out...or 6+ inches of snow...

And please Mr. 25 Year Old supervisor please inform on the best way to move freight around my trailer to do pick-ups whilst at the same time doing deliveries...I need to know how (in your opinion) to do it better.

And while were at it please tell me what is the best way to limp a flat tire into the terminal...off the rim or on...smokin' or not and for the love of God how fast can I go. You supervisors have all the answers so please let me know.

Simple fact is these people have no friggin' idea what we do and what it takes to accomplish same. And this is just talking about the dynamics of operating the truck...completely bypassing the substantial requirements of being a good LTL driver...and that is in of itself fodder for another thread.

As long as we have the mental image that we are just dirt under the finger nails of wannabees then that is all we will be.

Recognize your skills...and what you have accomplished to acquire those skills and your perspective will be different.

Rat

Unfortunately, you are right for the most part.

The old adage that IBT wages set the bar for the rest of the industry is passe'.

Regardless of what happens to YRC the wage base will remain the same if nothing more than the competition for good drivers.

Companies would have you believe thay can hire just any Joe off the street to so this job....not so or they would be doing it already. These managers seem to think that just because they have an education thay are somehow qualified to accurately evaluate what it takes to do what we do.

Drivers are so used to being unfairly berated by non informed managers they have become numb to what they actually do for a living. These folks see nothing more than numbers...and drivers have become nothing more than numbers. Stops per hour...bills per hour..etc...number crunching for the sake of it.

But I am one who is always willing to learn...

Please Mr. 25 Year Old supervisor tell how to do better pre-trip...tell me how to better negotiate pulling an empty set on solid ice...please inform what is the best way to operate in heavy fog....or a white out...or 6+ inches of snow...

And please Mr. 25 Year Old supervisor please inform on the best way to move freight around my trailer to do pick-ups whilst at the same time doing deliveries...I need to know how (in your opinion) to do it better.

And while were at it please tell me what is the best way to limp a flat tire into the terminal...off the rim or on...smokin' or not and for the love of God how fast can I go. You supervisors have all the answers so please let me know.

Simple fact is these people have no friggin' idea what we do and what it takes to accomplish same. And this is just talking about the dynamics of operating the truck...completely bypassing the substantial requirements of being a good LTL driver...and that is in of itself fodder for another thread.

As long as we have the mental image that we are just dirt under the finger nails of wannabees then that is all we will be.

Recognize your skills...and what you have accomplished to acquire those skills and your perspective will be different.

Rat

That's why I let my drivers do the hiring...I use a driver panel to interview and decide who makes it to me and my staff for interviewing and processing..If you can't get past their smart questions, you will never have to face my stupid questions...I somehow keep ending up with alot of quality people that way..go figure..

That's why I let my drivers do the hiring...I use a driver panel to interview and decide who makes it to me and my staff for interviewing and processing..If you can't get past their smart questions, you will never have to face my stupid questions...I somehow keep ending up with alot of quality people that way..go figure..

Like i always said, it only takes a little bit of effort on your part (managements) in working with your veteran drivers to yield optimal results for operations, company profit etc...

Keep your drivers happy and accomodated all in line with con-way policies, and they will take care of you and more imporantly the company.

Wish more Managers were like you box, but unfortunately, many actualy might even look down on drivers as nothing more than subordinates. There are the few low-lifes that try to screw the company at all opportunities they get, and are not worth what we pay them, but they will get weeded out, and the rest of the drivers who are trying to do an honest job and help con-way be a long lasting company shouldn't get punished along with them.

That is a good idea. Never thought of that.

Have ever considered recommending such actions to the company as SOP???...

Its a damn good idea. I know many companies do it. P&G for one...at least in some of their locations.

An employee panel would allow for some very interesting interviews. Imagine the perspective employee coming in for an initail interview thinking he or she was going to talk to the boss and then find they are going to be grilled by a bunch of old codgers like me...you might BS the boss but you can't BS the people who actually do the job (especially truck drivers as we all know they never BS anyone!!!):biglaugh::biglaugh:.

Seriously though...it is a splendid idea and one that JL should consider doing throughout the entire company.

Rat

I told them the last time they cut our pay... "Just cause the other LTL companies jump off the bridge, doesn't mean that Con-Way should.". But they did. Won't surprise me if they try to get more before the year is out. And then for 2010 mark my word... "Our health insurance will go up again."

If the YRC concessions pass you can bet your bottom dollar we will follow suit...

And yes you are correct in the assumption our insurance costs will go up...that is a given regardless of what happens.

As much as I would like not to believe the company would do this there is really no reason to believe they would not.

There will some reasoning as to being competitive...although the YRC concessions are to be targeted toward debt reduction and not pricing.

I really wanted to believe our current leadership was not going to follow this tactic...but now I am not so sure.
The 2Q reports got the taste of blood in their mouth as to how much profit could be derived from takebacks.

Unfortunately, I feel they will follow this same mindset with the concessions currently under consideration by the IBT and YRC. If the concessions pass then look for more 'adjustments' to your compensation package.

On a side note...

We all better hope and pray that YRC stays the course and survives.

We have neither the manpower or equipment to handle the influx of freight that would result in the closure of YRC...and trust me they will try!

At this juncture I will say we aren't smart enough to say no to additional business that will cripple us...just to many bean counters in this organization to expect any different. We will take on additional freight at the risk of compromising our service percentage...and the failure of same will roll down hill as it always does...more for less.

This isn't over by a long shot.

Most likely you are not going to see a return of your 401K contibutions or your 5% as long as the YRC concessions are still up in the air.

There will some reasoning as to the 2Q results being largely derived from the takebacks.

The video will tell the tale...

Rat

If the YRC concessions pass you can bet your bottom dollar we will follow suit...

And yes you are correct in the assumption our insurance costs will go up...that is a given regardless of what happens.

As much as I would like not to believe the company would do this there is really no reason to believe they would not.

There will some reasoning as to being competitive...although the YRC concessions are to be targeted toward debt reduction and not pricing.

I really wanted to believe our current leadership was not going to follow this tactic...but now I am not so sure.
The 2Q reports got the taste of blood in their mouth as to how much profit could be derived from takebacks.

Unfortunately, I feel they will follow this same mindset with the concessions currently under consideration by the IBT and YRC. If the concessions pass then look for more 'adjustments' to your compensation package.

On a side note...

We have neither the manpower or equipment to handle the influx of freight that would result in the closure of YRC...and trust me they will try!

At this juncture I will say we aren't smart enough to say no to additional business that will cripple us...just to many bean counters in this organization to expect any different. We will take on additional freight at the risk of compromising our service percentage...and the failure of same will roll down hill as it always does...more for less.

Most likely you are not going to see a return of your 401K contibutions or your 5% as long as the YRC concessions are still up in the air.

There will some reasoning as to the 2Q results being largely derived from the takebacks.

Rat
GOOD ONE RAT!!!!
Ya hit the nail on the head with that one!!! Excellent!!!

On a side note...

Rat

Sorry, I disagree...I guess we will let time tell the story..