loss of productivity

There are currently several trucking company owners & owner operators testifying to congress about the hardships this new law places on the trucking industry. Ann Ferro, (This title put on all the documents must cost thousands), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Chief defended the new rules & said it takes time for all of the changes to work. That statement reminds me of Pelosi's famous words "We need to pass this to see what's in it".
It strikes me as strange that the politicians didn't consult people involved in trucking while doing this study which took years & cost millions of dollars.
I doubt that anybody involved in implementing these rules has ever driven anything larger than a Suburban or pulled a trailer longer or heavier than a boat or camping trailer.
Also I wonder how many of the politicians can pass a random drug test like CDL holders are required to do. many like Obama couldn't pass a HazMat background check..
The previous rules took many years to put in place & were working. It is a never ending circus. "Your tax dollars at work".

It strikes me as strange that the politicians didn't consult people involved in trucking while doing this study which took years & cost millions of dollars.

That would make sense, and is why the government doesn't follow a logical course.