Central Transport | Low Morale

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Many believe that this company is so mismanaged that they may not even be around for much longer. Just one of the many reasons for low morale. High turnover is another reason. It's difficult to feel like part of a team when the members of the team keep changing. A high rate of employee turnover encourages the remaining employees to leave the company in search of better working conditions. Low pay and poor benefits is another reason for low morale. When you are underpaid you feel undervalued, stressed, and most likely will be looking for another job. I don't know the winning formula for rebuilding a company, but it seems to me that common sense would tell you to address low employee morale.

Many believe that this company is so mismanaged that they may not even be around for much longer. Just one of the many reasons for low morale. High turnover is another reason. It's difficult to feel like part of a team when the members of the team keep changing. A high rate of employee turnover encourages the remaining employees to leave the company in search of better working conditions. Low pay and poor benefits is another reason for low morale. When you are underpaid you feel undervalued, stressed, and most likely will be looking for another job. I don't know the winning formula for rebuilding a company, but it seems to me that common sense would tell you to address low employee morale.

A perfect storm a brewin Runawaytrain, all factors working against what remains. As many have said before, too many from top to bottom are looking to get out, many have already. All the cheerleading BS coming from corporate rings hollow and reminds me of scripture found in Matthew chapter 23 verse 27 and 28. Ok boys, gonna have to take the Bible off the shelf , blow off the dust and look it up yourself. Could be good for you too!

A perfect storm a brewin Runawaytrain, all factors working against what remains. As many have said before, too many from top to bottom are looking to get out, many have already. All the cheerleading BS coming from corporate rings hollow and reminds me of scripture found in Matthew chapter 23 verse 27 and 28. Ok boys, gonna have to take the Bible off the shelf , blow off the dust and look it up yourself. Could be good for you too!
I'm proud of you Stunhsif for being the first to comment on this thread. And being man enough to throw the bible in the mix....Its kinda like the backlash in schools over religion....We can't turn this into a religious forum because this is not the place for that...Too many different people may become offended....But since you put it out there I will state my opinion and move on....Those verses in essense are calling management hypocrites...And I agree, yet its not for us to judge them. We all are hypocrites to some degree so I try to stay away from those sort of things....No one is perfect so lets just leave it at that....And I'm not implying you are judging them, I'm just saying we are not in the GOD business and our job is tough enough just trying to rise above such non-sense we must deal with on a daily basis here. Lets worry about taking care of our families and being the best human being we can and let GOD sort out the rest. Having said that lets steer away from religion and get back to the thread. Morale is one of the most important things in the success of a company, without it you are doomed to certain failure. Its the heart and soul of a company and without it you have nothing but apathy. All we get is a song and dance. We are tired of it....We want results.

Hell, Train. Pick a thread--any thread- read the first 5 replies. That will tell you why morale is so low. These guys are so beaten down, feel so rejected with the steady stream of bad news that seems to be constantly pouring out of the corp. sewer that nobody believes what they hear on the corp. radio channel. We keep getting told of all the new accounts coming on board but have yet to see the freight. The internal posting of 91.3% of estimated shipping projections doesn't seem to hold up to all the new business coming on board, now does it. People are tired of the crap but are still too afraid to make the jump like $outh$ide did when he got the chance. But then again, when OD was sinking, their people didn't all jump ship either. No one wants to admit defeat, having lost all hope. They still hope that maybe CK WILL be able to pull this whole thing off and save "our" company and our jobs, but will we still be here to find out???

Hell, Train. Pick a thread--any thread- read the first 5 replies. That will tell you why morale is so low. These guys are so beaten down, feel so rejected with the steady stream of bad news that seems to be constantly pouring out of the corp. sewer that nobody believes what they hear on the corp. radio channel. We keep getting told of all the new accounts coming on board but have yet to see the freight. The internal posting of 91.3% of estimated shipping projections doesn't seem to hold up to all the new business coming on board, now does it. People are tired of the crap but are still too afraid to make the jump like $outh$ide did when he got the chance. But then again, when OD was sinking, their people didn't all jump ship either. No one wants to admit defeat, having lost all hope. They still hope that maybe CK WILL be able to pull this whole thing off and save "our" company and our jobs, but will we still be here to find out???
You just don't know what to believe....I thought we cut loose BBB but last week I picked up some. A mistaken dispatch I really don't know but its just poor management communication skills in general that continue to destroy morale. Like I said....A song and dance is all we get. When was the last time we got anything but that? Proven results...Why won't CK address the growing pains the company is having and ask us to hold on? Why can't he build bridges instead of walls? Where is honest and open communication? Morale is so underestimated. It's so bad people can't even find the strenght to post about it. It is absolutly destroying this company. If you can't shake your people out of apathy all the greatest management decisions will be in vain...Yes it's that important. He may not be able to give us any more money but he could at least put out a video and put to rest alot of these rumors. Telling us there is reason for hope and despite all that is going on we are still moving in the right direction. Maybe he thinks it will be looked at as defeat I really don't know but he needs to do something....anything to lift morale out of the gutter. Because without us he doesn't stand a snow balls chance in hell.

Just like any higher up person, Ck is being fed what they want him to know, which is a typical way of doing business, but a sad way too. If a General wants to know how the war is going, he should skip the Colonels on the golf course and Officer's Club and find a Private or Corporal on the front line who has nothing to lose by telling him how it really works around here

he could give a rats ass about a driver, to them we're a dime a dozen and if you don't like it leave. he does'nt deal with that, the t.m.s do.

he could give a rats ass about a driver, to them we're a dime a dozen and if you don't like it leave. he does'nt deal with that, the t.m.s do.
You are right it is not his job. It is the TM's job for the most part. But to say he doesn't care is a bit unfair. His job is to make this company grow. To improve the numbers. But the only way to do that is to change the culture of this company. You have heard me say it over and over that apathy among the team members is a major problem. Morale is at rock bottom. That has to change for him to be successful. He's not a bad man and I'm sure hes doing the best he can with what he has to work with. But now is the time for him to start addressing morale issues...I think he has made some good moves. And I think he cares for the most part at least to the degree that he is able to. No, we are not part of his direct family. Our children don't play together with his. We don't know him other than the fact that he is our president. He's done a fair job, but not a great job. As we move forward into 2013 we shall see his skill set big time...His legacy will rise or fall depending on his leadership ability. And thats the bottom line.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with you on being unfair, but he does'nt want to listen to some bottom feeder driver, he's up in the tower looking down at us peasants. he will only interact with his fed ex cronies.

i agree with you on being unfair, but he does'nt want to listen to some bottom feeder driver, he's up in the tower looking down at us peasants. he will only interact with his fed ex cronies.
If that is true and he is so arrogant and egoistical then he is doomed for failure. If he can't learn to be humble and learn to listen to feedback from his drivers then he will fail. If he thinks he is a better human being than me or you then he will fail....If he judges a mans worth on what he has or the success he has attained in life then he will fail. I so hope you are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hope so too. but if our immediate boss and office people don't listen, i doubt if their bosses will. i know we had people in contact with corp about issues at our terminal, but nothing has changed and it's been going on for a long long time.

When you have high turnover and you put a temp or even a new driver in a different truck everyday your sure to hurt your equipment. It takes time to get to know your truck, the way it shifts and drives. That learning curve is terrible on trucks....When I take off and someone else drives my truck and I get it back there is almost always something wrong with it. I baby my truck....I love my truck....I take great pride in keeping it clean and in good working order. No one except the regular driver will take care of it. I don't share my truck with a linehaul driver, it's a single axle with a little over 200k on it and it runs like a top. Now when I take off I try to find a driver I know that can drive and shift properly to drive it. Having the same guy in the same truck everyday really means alot. Having drivers take pride in what they drive saves this company so much in maintenance. It's the little things that add up and go straight to the bottom line.

An excellent post Train here and in the entire chain on this posting. CK is not a bad guy, he just thinks all his folks over at FDX are smarter than all the folks that were here before he came. He is no smarter than the ones before him, in fact he has proven himself to be a very poor money manager compared to the guy before him MK. As well, he has brought over a bunch of new mgmt folks from FDX that appear far less experienced and knowledgeable than those that he fired. Like a baseball manager, he brings all new people to the team he manages. I personally don't have much hope but will ride it out till the cash runs out.

I'm riding it out too brother....I'm just hoping for change...Call it blind faith...Call it whatever you like. Faith makes things possible....not easy.

Your fedex people left fedex because they knew they could not climb the ladder any more. now there are your trash

It would be interesting to know where these FE guys went to work, i know some have posted the names, but what about the others? just wondering if they went back to FE or not

I tell you what, theses fine folks from FE must have taken lessons from Chicago politicians on cronyism, New positions are not even posted, they are just quietly filled with more FE people.

Another great way keep morale down.

Welcome to the "new and improved" Vitran.