LTL and Food Service New York City

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
I have a question,

How do you LTL guys in New York City manage to do your jobs? I mean the traffic is horrendous, and I'm sure some of the spots you deliver into are insane and I'm not even talking about the backing, I'm talking about the crazy steps and staircases and all that other stuff. Like I couldn't imagine what a disaster being a food service or beer delivery driver in New York City would be. All the crazy steps and back door and side ally deliveries it would have to be crazy. A lot of these older buildings weren't built to have Sysco or US Foods haul 900 cases through them a week.

Even freight guys, I know sometimes you guys have to grab the two wheel hand truck and truck stuff into places I bet it can be quite the challenge.

although i never did food delivery in NYC, i did have to get a 53 footer into the various areas of the city.

how many times i needed to go the wrong way down a one way street.

how many times, there would be a NYC mounted police officer (usually in pairs) that i told them i have to make a delivery, and they said...
"go ahead driver"....!!

i never saw so much cooperation from any police like in NYC..!!

in any event, i had to make yet another delivery in the city, i had to double park. this was in or very near the "fashion district", and i could see all the pretty gals walking, carrying thier portfolios. i was double parked directly across the street form the NYC fire/police repair garage.

already, the fire trucks needing repairs were also parked in the street..!!

talk about a tight squeeze with me double parked...

the guys unloaded me in super quick time.

when i left, i got lost...of course...

i cannot tell you the number of times, i was told (and shown), i was number 1 in everyone's heart.....

but to me.....screw the NYC food deliveries...

if they are hungry...??

they can go to Joisey and feed thier fat faces.

I deliver in Tremont/Ohio City and while it's not NYC it's no joke either. Yesterday I had to make a delivery to a restaurant that sell designer burritos, and it was double park or pull in some indent, where some fool put a cone and wrote on the street NO PARKING. Well I said oh screw it, we won't be here that long and I parked. Well naturally the customer took a little longer paying the bill then I would have liked (typical) or else it would have worked out fine. Any how one of the people who lived there wanted to pull in the drive way and I would have moved the truck in a minute with out any kind of argument or anything. Any how this fool throws his car in park and storms out of the truck and starts ranting raving screaming and hollering arms flailing in the air and everything! So I said to the customer "I better go fix this, excuse me for a minute." I walked outside and this man starts hollering and flailing his arms at me and it was actually kind of funny, I just walked right by him like he wasn't even there paid him no mind and moved the truck up some so he could get through.

The man at the restaurant said to me "Don't worry about him, he's been yelling like that for the past 2 years, this isn't the first time, that's happened, won't be the last.He's been screaming like that since we moved in here."

Another guy who worked at the restaurant and saw everything said to me "Welcome to our world."

Too bad it's not legal to sedate most people with a dart gun.
Such WOULD HELP MANY OF US.
- - - -
KUDOS to you inner city food delivery personnel!!
How you complete your duties daily is just wonderful as I, like MANY OTHERS, have not such PATIENCE and FORTITUDE which are WHY I, having given such duties a few shots, do not perform such duties!!

THANK YOU!!
CHEERS!!

I'm sorry, did you say designer burritos?

I try to be very respectful, except to the fools who squeeze their car in between the dumpster and the dock, and I have to be in the dock on an angle and have to use the dock leveler that doesn't quite work because I'm not in straight, and they want me to move now? Well why did you park there? Didn't you see the no parking loading zone sign? Do you know what yellow paint on a curb means? How about the yellow crosshatch on the pavement with no parking printed in large letters there?

Designer Burritos:
If ya ain't by a bathroom, they make an interesting design on yer underwear...:)