Yellow | lunches and breaks

When I was P&D it was at smaller barns and for the most part we had a pretty good rapport with management and terrific stewards besides. Totally different atmosphere at larger locations for sure. I was lucky.
Your right Triplex. Those times were different and the men on the jobs were different. We for the most part stuck together. That meant a whole lot. We were a union back then. Men listen to their stewards and the stewards stuck up for their men. Teamster unity helped management see the buisness a little better. That's when driving was a great job. Damn, I'm showing my age.

Your right Triplex. Those times were different and the men on the jobs were different. We for the most part stuck together. That meant a whole lot. We were a union back then. Men listen to their stewards and the stewards stuck up for their men. Teamster unity helped management see the buisness a little better. That's when driving was a great job. Damn, I'm showing my age.

Roady, it's still better to be around showing showing your age than for people to be saying at your wake "Gee, he sure looks good doesn't he?" :smile new:

boosis, I get told all the time that I am TOO OLD SCHOOL. That being said, if I don't get my lunch before the 6th hour, shame on MY azz. It took me about 1 week with my current dispatcher to work out the kinks after the merger. It was eventually discovered that I would, in fact, do my job to the very best of my ability. However, it was also discovered that I would get my lunch before the 6th hour, come hell or high water. I am not going to run around for some dispatcher all afternoon with them telling me it is just too busy for me to get my lunch break on time, while they, at the same time, can't be understood because of all the crunching and smacking I hear on their end, due to them eating their lunch.

i'm telling ya, just take ALL your breaks right at the 5th hour, until he runs out of aneurysms and temper tantrums. might be a month or 2. after he runs out of steam, and has conceded defeat, just take a lunch. he will probably forget how he used to be, and come out and pat you on the back for doing a good job.....

Boois the supervisor first mistake was him calling me on my personal cell phone and if it was him that hung up on me that would have been his aaazzzzzz... Me personally i peddle the same area so I know when to shut down for lunch and breaks without getting behind. There are days I do get behind and couldn't take my lunch during the 4th and 6th hour. Alot of city guyz will get that freight thats out there first to take care of our customers.. It does happen but I will tell you it could be the 10th hour and if a lunch wasn't taken I will take it on O/T before getting back to the barn.
T/C's, I will service them on time (ie: b/4 noon), but it goes both ways when it comes to management trying to dump on you. There are ways to get back at them if they start acting stupid (ie: i run it the way it was loaded). I'll ask them do you want me to work unsafe? I will get my lunch and breaks.
Bottom line is there are days you won't be able to get it in and other days you'll get it in and some, so there is a balance if you manage it right.
If they **** me off I'll shut down and take my 1/2 hr lunch and then take another 1/2 hr cause eating a good lunch will make me take a healthy wicked :crap::coffee1:

For a lot of years at Roadway I peddled freight in the city for a dispatcher who I did not get along with. But we developed a working relationship. I would get the job done and she would leave me alone to do it. It doesn't get better than that.

Last edited:
always told the the dispatch if that peddle run was loaded right you could get 20-25 stops delivered and a few pick ups. If it isn't loaded right then expect 8-10 stops delivered for that day. I will run that run the way it is loaded since they think they know it all....Management will always try to blame the dock guys for messing up a peddle run.
My rebuttal to them is "don't blame the people who load, blame the people behind the glass who code the bills" or as we say don't blame the loader, blame the coder!!:grin:

The "Cadillac" of caskets! :usa:
Wonder if you can get the chrome mud flap girls on them caddy's??? Or would you still have to have have someone buy them at the truck stop and have them fastened on?????

Send me your credit card number. I'll see what I can do
PM Elwood at Barkley's One in the Caymans, and he will wire you the $$$$$$

I advise against extravagant spending to honor those that have passed, unless it is with the intent of celebration of life; e.g. large gathering with high quality 'spirits' and imbibements, including fine entertainment and heartfelt crooning by those in attendance.

My style:
MnXav9z.jpg

Set me on fire and then burn down the house!!!

No offense, jimmy, grew up in a household that demanded certain frugalities. I know the product you represent to be the finest in our land.

I advise against extravagant spending to honor those that have passed, unless it is with the intent of celebration of life; e.g. large gathering with high quality 'spirits' and imbibements, including fine entertainment and heartfelt crooning by those in attendance.

My style:
MnXav9z.jpg

Set me on fire and then burn down the house!!!

No offense, jimmy, grew up in a household that demanded certain frugalities. I know the product you represent to be the finest in our land.
I shall celebrate your life and influence, regardless! Now I need to move on from this conversation, you're scaring off my customers.

I shall celebrate your life and influence, regardless! Now I need to move on from this conversation, you're scaring off my customers.

Jimmy, your customers can run but they can never hide from the potential, ultimate need of your product..