FedEx Freight | Managers

FredEx

TB Lurker
Credits
I've always heard manager pay is based on Snap Shot scores. Wondering if there's ever been any other tests to see if a manager is really a manager.

If a Center has a lot of older drivers with the system for any length of time. The Snap Shot is a breeze. Manager gets high score. Manager gets a raise for.....
Doing nothing.

Does anybody ever pay a visit and watch manager in action?
Can the manager run inbound dock?
Set up city routes?
Dispatch pick ups?
Handle exceptions and other problems called in?
Handle outbound?
Put together city bids to manage hours and have drivers on duty when and where they're needed...?
Drive a forktruck?
Turn on the lights?
Does he panic and ask drivers what to do in an emergency?

Or

Does the manager sit in office playing games while supervisors run the center and manager gets the credit?

I've always heard manager pay is based on Snap Shot scores. Wondering if there's ever been any other tests to see if a manager is really a manager.

If a Center has a lot of older drivers with the system for any length of time. The Snap Shot is a breeze. Manager gets high score. Manager gets a raise for.....
Doing nothing.

Set up city routes?
Dispatch pick ups?
Handle outbound?
Put together city bids to manage hours and have drivers on duty when and where they're needed...?
Drive a forktruck?
Turn on the lights?

Or

Does the manager sit in office playing games while supervisors run the center and manager gets the credit?

Nonsense on pay rate based on snapshot. Part of bonus qualification criteria? I think, YES.

As far as ability to perform operational tasks, I'm observation says yes, they "can" do them. Probably not as proficiently as the person(s) who normally does it, but certainly well enough to get by temporarily.

A good manager "should" let good people do what they do best. THAT is the whole benefit of taking care of your people. They will take care of you, the customer, and staff... A micro-manager is rarely able to control his own time, instead being reluctant to delegate effectively, IMHO.

Doing nothing.

Set up city routes?
Dispatch pick ups?
Handle outbound?
Drive a forktruck?
Turn on the lights?

Or

Hide in his office ?
Never return phone calls ?

Just like drivers.... There are different types of managers and supervisors. Some are outstanding and care.... Some are somewhat engaged but limited (for a variety of reasons), and then there are some that either checked out or simply too incompetent that they shouldn't be there.