SAIA | may interview the 19th ohio

stinkyfinger

TB Lurker
Credits
hey guys I'm jus wanting some info on your company.I may interview 1-19 (depends on how busy this guy is)at "the connection" soon 2 be saia in dayton ohio. I wne in 2day and the tm was very confident and positive bout adding on,gave me an app to fill out an said come back on fri after 10:30 and his boss may be able to interview me.He said he has been told the company was goona hire some drivers and they were gonna get bombarded with freight.(this guy appeared EXTREMELY optimistic,that sometimes worries me).I want a city job. I've read jus bout every post in here but dont know when to separate info based on geographical location.Ex.,what happens in nc may not happen in tx. and so on. If anybody can give me info concerning this paticular area or jus some overall info I would appreciate it.Is there any connection drivers on here yet? :funky:

Right now ,all is new for Saia in the north.We're learning Saia's system.An explosion may be in the works,freight wise.Were kinda cautiously optimistic on that issue.Good Luck with the interview.:hysterical:

interview didnt happen!!! went ther to return my app. the tm was on a conf. call told me to give the app. to his boss (who was in town to do i dunno, whatever), his boss said I needed 2 proofs of id,I had included a copy of my license and med. cert.,but he said he needed either copy of s.s. card which i haven't had since the '80's (# is on my license but that dont count apparently) or a copy of my br. cert. I said ok ,he said he (is it him or the t.m.?) wont do anything till 2-1-07. so I said between now n then I would get him a copy of either the s.s. card or br. cert. got to thinking and figured the sooner I get the paperwork bac to them the better. so I drove home (bout 25 miles) and finally found my br. cert. Took it back 25 mile (thank goodness i found gas at 1.75 per gal. !) and handed it to the tm, he took it and me bac to his boss who was in the tm office on his computer with a bag of wendys on the side. I think we both were thinking for a short interview but it jus didn't happen today :chairshot:
oh well !!! sh**t happens! hey I got 20 yrs (come July) accident free, traffic violation free for SEVERAL yrs.,last 10 years same company, and am hoping once I expand my efforts, somebody will pick me up. peace, im gone didn't mean to babble on :funky:

interview didnt happen!!! went ther to return my app. the tm was on a conf. call told me to give the app. to his boss (who was in town to do i dunno, whatever), his boss said I needed 2 proofs of id,I had included a copy of my license and med. cert.,but he said he needed either copy of s.s. card which i haven't had since the '80's (# is on my license but that dont count apparently) or a copy of my br. cert. I said ok ,he said he (is it him or the t.m.?) wont do anything till 2-1-07. so I said between now n then I would get him a copy of either the s.s. card or br. cert. got to thinking and figured the sooner I get the paperwork bac to them the better. so I drove home (bout 25 miles) and finally found my br. cert. Took it back 25 mile (thank goodness i found gas at 1.75 per gal. !) and handed it to the tm, he took it and me bac to his boss who was in the tm office on his computer with a bag of wendys on the side. I think we both were thinking for a short interview but it jus didn't happen today :chairshot:
oh well !!! sh**t happens! hey I got 20 yrs (come July) accident free, traffic violation free for SEVERAL yrs.,last 10 years same company, and am hoping once I expand my efforts, somebody will pick me up. peace, im gone didn't mean to babble on :funky:

You hang in there. Persistence pays off. Now for the BIG question. Where the heck did you find gas for 1.75 per gallon. Here in NC its 211.9 and thats the cheap stuff.

gas in the dayton area wed. an thur. was that price, its up to 2.09 plus, now, 4 the wknd.!!
we used 2 call it "price gouging"" now its called, supply vs. demand, all jus total B.S. !!!

gas in the dayton area wed. an thur. was that price, its up to 2.09 plus, now, 4 the wknd.!!
we used 2 call it "price gouging"" now its called, supply vs. demand, all jus total B.S. !!!

What gets me is during a hurricane, the building supply stores raise the price of plywood and other lumber. They nearly always get hit for price gouging. Show me the difference between this and the oil companies raising the price of gas during holidays when they know good and well there is a high demand for gas. I still believe the government is in on it all. That's why there are never any court cases of price gouging.

stinkyfinger be advised a saia tm is stressed to the limit 99.44 %of the time dont get discurraged if it takes him a little while to get back to you.just call every day and ask to talk to the tm if you dont talk directly to him he probably wont get the message with your driving record you should not have any problem getting on saia is very big on the safety end of things althogh you would'nt know by some of our eqipment but thats improving at a pretty steady pace. good luck

App

My ? to you is have you ever worked P+D in LTL before. I think it is a younger mans game, unless you like that sort of thing. Linehaul is the easiest job I've had, and paid the best too. Keep all your options open.:1036316054:

My ? to you is have you ever worked P+D in LTL before. I think it is a younger mans game, unless you like that sort of thing. Linehaul is the easiest job I've had, and paid the best too. Keep all your options open.:1036316054:

Never worked p&d in ltl Linehaul really don't appeal to me right now. If that was my only choice,yea I would take it.I'm 50 y.o. but in halfway decent shape I think.Is p & d really physical? I mean I'm assuming everything is on pallets nowadays ain't it? How labor intensive is it really? Any info is appreciated!Who knows,I may be trying to get into something that I shouldn"t be getting into!

P&D is the second most labor intensive part of the freight operation behind the dock. Just because it started out on pallets doesn't mean that when it arrives it will necessairly be delivered on pallets. Accounts that are retail, and we have lotsa those, will oftentimes require the use of our green friend (the two wheel dolly). One will become well acquainted with a pallet jack as well. Been there, done that, got the calluses and sore back.

Yea You Better Relize 1 Thing 99% Of The Freight These Days Is On Pallets But When You Have A Great Sales Team Out There Trying To Get Every Shipment They Can Somtimes They Forget About The P&d Driver And You Go To 1 Of These Customers With 2 Pallets Contaning 70 Boxes Of Forms And You Have To Break Them Down And Haul Them Up 2 Or 3 Floors To Were The Customer Wants Them In There Office.p&d Aint Know Gravy Job It Has It"s Good Then It Has It"s Bad Days And Usally The Bad Days Are 4 Days A Week...

Also according to one management leader from GBO: "If you can't do the job, we will put someone in your position that can get the job done."

If the goverment didn't tax gasoline by the gallon, don't you think they'd be more concerned about how much we use?

I flattened all my neighbors tires then told they would have to buy gas for me to take them to work in my SUV'S.

Yeah. That's true- BUT-Damn they sure were cheap. And damn dont they ride better than my Neon that gets 33 mpg.