Me And My Water Heater

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
So my hot water heater started leaking like they always do every 8-10 years or so... So just for fun I thought I would get an estimate .. Now keep in mind mine is super easy access in the laundry room ... Guy came out and quoted me 1500 bucks to change a 400 dollar water heater that will take about an hour to install if that (1100 dollar profit) I went to Lowes, spent 382 dollars and installed it myself in less than an hour. Now I am no cheapo but 1100 profit for less than an hours work? I think not.

One of the greatest gifts my pops gave all of us was the initiative to try and fix stuff ourselves, and we all do, and now more than ever with the sheer quantity of quality how-to's on You-tube almost nothing is out of reach, or at least a good education and be informed on the subject. Sadly today in what should be days of enlightenment people know less and less and pay more and more to have stuff done, most would think $1500 is a pretty good deal.

So my hot water heater started leaking like they always do every 8-10 years or so... So just for fun I thought I would get an estimate .. Now keep in mind mine is super easy access in the laundry room ... Guy came out and quoted me 1500 bucks to change a 400 dollar water heater that will take about an hour to install if that (1100 dollar profit) I went to Lowes, spent 382 dollars and installed it myself in less than an hour. Now I am no cheapo but 1100 profit for less than an hours work? I think not.
you're lucky that you can do that yourself.

i got both of mine at Lowes as well, Whirlpool, but i had to have the Lowes contractor install them...for one apartment, it was a direct replacement, the other one for the other apartment was a first time set up needing piping for both gas and water.

You're in the wrong business.

One of the greatest gifts my pops gave all of us was the initiative to try and fix stuff ourselves, and we all do, and now more than ever with the sheer quantity of quality how-to's on You-tube almost nothing is out of reach, or at least a good education and be informed on the subject. Sadly today in what should be days of enlightenment people know less and less and pay more and more to have stuff done, most would think $1500 is a pretty good deal.

I still do most of my home repairs. My younger son "did not care" about learning to use his hands because it was not cool, so when I am gone he will have to fork out the money for his repairs. However, his wife is good with her hands & maybe she will be able to save them some dollars by doing things he thought was 'not cool' to do.

Did you have FedEx Direct bring it to the house?

I'm in to doing thing around the house myself. Some items is the long run are less of a headache just to pay someone. I had my 50gal natural gas water heater replaced and for just over $1000 for the heater, installation and removal of the old heater it was will worth it to me

I still do most of my home repairs. My younger son "did not care" about learning to use his hands because it was not cool, so when I am gone he will have to fork out the money for his repairs. However, his wife is good with her hands & maybe she will be able to save them some dollars by doing things he thought was 'not cool' to do.

Same thing with my son, he wanted nothing to do with anything mechanical, after he married and had our first grandchild, he calls, says"pop, you need to show me how to change my oil"
On other hand, my daughter can probably rebuild a New Holland hay baler, change a well pump or whatever the need be.

Google tankless water heater
I installed one in my condo and never had a problem with it

Google tankless water heater
I installed one in my condo and never had a problem with it

I have considered going to a tankless if and when the one I currently use fails. I have good well water & the first one here lasted 25 years. I don't have natural gas so electric is my only option. Friends have an outdoor wood furnace that heats their house & water. I heat with wood but I think I don't have enough wood cutting years ahead to justify buying the outdoor furnace at this point in my life.

Same thing with my son, he wanted nothing to do with anything mechanical, after he married and had our first grandchild, he calls, says"pop, you need to show me how to change my oil"
On other hand, my daughter can probably rebuild a New Holland hay baler, change a well pump or whatever the need be.

I changed out a kitchen faucet last week for my younger son & saved them hundreds. The one & installed this time may not be stylish but it will last much longer than the one I removed. The young ones are learning that simpler is better. He does however know how to change his oil but somehow I have done the last few oil changes for him & my daughter in law when I was doing other repairs/maintenance.