Yellow | Merger with the south/w southern modified seniority

Boyscout

TB Lurker
Credits
With the merger insight and lots of job loss, I would like to know the opinion of folks on the "suitcase seniority" rights of merged employees or those who will feel the full impact at the bottom of the road board at Yellow....

Just wondering how the union will see to the use of this modification in the south once the layoffs begin after the DOVETAIL.

Will we see road guys two states away using this supplement to bump around for the next two yrs?

I was kinda wondering the same thing myself. Seems like if you get layed off now its best to bump in somewhere before you can't get back on again because of all the dovetailed Yellow drivers. I'm assuming you are allowed to use the SMS to move if your job is elminated because of a merged terminal?

I'm not in south but thought there needed to be an opening to transfer.
Southern modified seniority is the process used for linehaul drivers (only) in the southern region... If a linehaul driver is laid off at any terminal in the southern region, he can exercise his modified (suitcase) seniority and bump into any southern region terminal that he can hold with active seniority, meaning he can bump into any southern region terminal where anyone junior to him is still active and working... BUT, the driver exercising his modified seniority and moves to another terminal in the south, does so on his own dime (no moving expenses)... Recall rights to your original domicile is a bit complicated and would take a while to explain here...

Mechanics, clericals, city and dock people, in the south, still utilize terminal seniority only...

With the merger insight and lots of job loss, I would like to know the opinion of folks on the "suitcase seniority" rights of merged employees or those who will feel the full impact at the bottom of the road board at Yellow....

Just wondering how the union will see to the use of this modification in the south once the layoffs begin after the DOVETAIL.

Will we see road guys two states away using this supplement to bump around for the next two yrs?
Any changes or modifications made to southern modified seniority will be explained in any/all decisions from the committee hearing the cases concerning the southern region... We will have to wait until then...

Speaking as a man that lost his job this last spring due to some using the SMS, I think it sucks. You may have seniority at another teaminal but you have no seniority at mine. That should be changed to if you bump you go to the bottom of the new board. I would not have been laid off if three other socalled brothers had not moved in form Dallas. You make your bed by going to work out of state you should have to lay in it!

where is the problem? The use of seniority is all we have left. In 1972 there was a federal court decision that forever split the road boards from ALL other classifications. So if as a road driver when you are laid off (from the bottom of the board) all you can do is bump another location. Not like anyone here is thinking of the brotherhood, only me first and to heck with all the others. Seniority is gained one day at a time. After time, you too will see the benifits gained. go to Central Conference (Ohio Rider) if you want single line seniority. where it is not another road driver that bumps you, but your union brother from the dock, city, or yard. The outcome is the same, you who have NO time will sit at home while others with more time work. It is the same at the "Non Union" lines. Check for yourself.

where is the problem? The use of seniority is all we have left. In 1972 there was a federal court decision that forever split the road boards from ALL other classifications. So if as a road driver when you are laid off (from the bottom of the board) all you can do is bump another location. Not like anyone here is thinking of the brotherhood, only me first and to heck with all the others. Seniority is gained one day at a time. After time, you too will see the benifits gained. go to Central Conference (Ohio Rider) if you want single line seniority. where it is not another road driver that bumps you, but your union brother from the dock, city, or yard. The outcome is the same, you who have NO time will sit at home while others with more time work. It is the same at the "Non Union" lines. Check for yourself.

Just to let you know, here in K.C. Yellow / Roadway / ABF / Holland are all in the Central Conference. "NONE" have SINGLE line seniority. All have Road as one & City / Yard / Dock as another. You can not Bump from City to Road or from Road to City.

Truckinokie, are you the BROTHER who has yet failed to join the union? Other conversations with you, has left me with the impression that your not a big fan of how the UNION is structured.
Please tell me your not that guy, because your kind of talking out both sides of your mouth.