New Penn | Modified Work

Irishman107

TB Lurker
Credits
Any terminals other than Cinnaminson have a modified work program. New Penn started this about a year ago and has been nothing but problems. Thanks in advance for any help.

The Employer may establish a modified work program designed to
provide temporary opportunity to those employees who are unable to perform their
normal work assignments due to a disabling on-the-job injury. Recognizing that a
transitional return-to-work program offering both physical and mental therapeutic
benefits will accelerate the rehabilitative process of an injured employee, modified work
programs are intended to enhance worker's compensation benefits and are not to be
utilized as a method to take advantage of an employee who has sustained an industrial
injury.

It may sound good but I think that the program sucks!!! At Red Star it was more like being punished. If an injured worker could walk, he was forced to come to work on TRWP (twerp). Instead of being allowed to stay at home until we were able to return to work, we were forced to go in & shuffle papers or do some "make work" project for 8 hrs a day...unlike workmans comp the pay rate is only 85% of scale & taxable.....The company would push the comp doctors to release the injured employee to TRWP because in most cases it was cheaper than paying comp.

The Employer may establish a modified work program designed to
provide temporary opportunity to those employees who are unable to perform their
normal work assignments due to a disabling on-the-job injury. Recognizing that a
transitional return-to-work program offering both physical and mental therapeutic
benefits will accelerate the rehabilitative process of an injured employee, modified work
programs are intended to enhance worker's compensation benefits and are not to be
utilized as a method to take advantage of an employee who has sustained an industrial
injury.

It may sound good but I think that the program sucks!!! At Red Star it was more like being punished. If an injured worker could walk, he was forced to come to work on TRWP (twerp). Instead of being allowed to stay at home until we were able to return to work, we were forced to go in & shuffle papers or do some "make work" project for 8 hrs a day...unlike workmans comp the pay rate is only 85% of scale & taxable.....The company would push the comp doctors to release the injured employee to TRWP because in most cases it was cheaper than paying comp.

I think that is a YRC thing as they started this at Holland also, where in the past Holland never had light duty. I know here in Atlanta you get 85 percent of you hourly rate and workmanscomp makes up the rest so you are getting your regular hourly rate. I hurt my knee stepping in a hole in our yard in Mobile Al, and YRC has a third party called Gallagher Basset that handles their workmans comp that tries every way in the world to get you to do the modified work. The lady at Gallagher Basset told me that YRC is big on this idea, so I told her I wasn't. The thing is as long as the company doctor okays you for light duty if you don't do the light duty, they cut off your benefits and do not pay the workmans comp benefits to you, or they tell you they can't release your benefits unless you do the light duty. I was off work from June 9th of last year until the 5th of July and opted to pay my own health and welfare which is not cheap but I could hardly walk so I certainly wasn't going to have my wife take me to work at 7 in the evening and pick me up at 3:30 am for the shift my nice terminal manager picked for me. I think the real story is they want you so miserable that they want you to bolt back to work before you are healed.

UPS has a great set-up when it comes to light duty. I worked 4 years for them and when a driver who gets hurt on the job they are entitled to light duty. the kind of work available for them are to wash a line of package trucks, shuttle packages throughout the facility without touching a single one, or do clerk work. basically clerk work is fixing addresses in the compter. all this and they keep their hourly rate the same :1036316054: they can also fill in at the feeder (trailer) dept. depending on the attitude of the center manager.