Yellow | Murphy and O'Brien Respond To Yellow's Captive Propaganda Meetings Which Started Monday!

Seems the bend over has run it’s course. Members, if you are there, it seems to me he’s giving you a heads up on your walking papers. Be proactive if this makes sense to you.. If not, then ride this wave as you see. Goood luck, brethren..

So what's the consensus, are most of you guys going to stay in trucking in the post-Yellow world, or move on. If you're staying will you stay with freight or trucking in another field?

Isn't a "less-than-desirable" contract and keeping a large Teamster presence in LTL better than a massive reduction of Teamster jobs in our industry? Just posing the question since there's a lot at stake here if Yellow shuts down.
No. There comes a time when you can't give anything else and still claim to to represent the best interests of all of the members.

No. There comes a time when you can't give anything else and still claim to to represent the best interests of all of the members.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, as someone who has been a Teamster since 1971 and who has experienced the elimination of thousands of Teamster jobs at hundreds of Teamster represented companies in our industry, I think a more pragmatic view must be taken before we end up with literally no Teamster representation anymore in LTL. Just my opinion looking at the bigger picture.

Isn't a "less-than-desirable" contract and keeping a large Teamster presence in LTL better than a massive reduction of Teamster jobs in our industry? Just posing the question since there's a lot at stake here if Yellow shuts down.
No it’s not …….we either need to get a management team in place that can actually run a trucking company or they need to close the gates …….why should anyone be forced to work for lower than what they re worth?we bailed this company out in 2009 and we’re promised to be made whole.that didn’t happen.in fact it got worse.they keep chipping away at our wages benefits working conditions and keep making stupid decisions and ruining this company.I said on here a couple weeks ago this is gonna end when the union refuses to deal with the company.I think O’Brien has to get rid of all ties to yellow freight…….if he negotiates another lame ass contract with yellow how will he ever talk another company into going union? He isn’t Hoffa.he actually wants to grow the union not skim off money and play both sides of the fence while lining his pockets.good luck to all.and fair winds and following seas

No it’s not …….we either need to get a management team in place that can actually run a trucking company or they need to close the gates …….why should anyone be forced to work for lower than what they re worth?we bailed this company out in 2009 and we’re promised to be made whole.that didn’t happen.in fact it got worse.they keep chipping away at our wages benefits working conditions and keep making stupid decisions and ruining this company.I said on here a couple weeks ago this is gonna end when the union refuses to deal with the company.I think O’Brien has to get rid of all ties to yellow freight…….if he negotiates another lame ass contract with yellow how will he ever talk another company into going union? He isn’t Hoffa.he actually wants to grow the union not skim off money and play both sides of the fence while lining his pockets.good luck to all.and fair winds and following seas
Last time I checked nobody is being "forced" to work. And if you think "growing the Union" will happen if negotiations fail and Yellow shuts the doors then you're really delusional. No one has been able to "grow the union" in LTL in decades, get real.

Please keep in mind, this is the first time Yellow has received serious resistance from Teamster leadership since the first MOU. The company has always negotiated in public with the empty pockets routine. If they had simply asked for a straight change of operations and zip code realignment, they wouldn't be in this position. If they want to change the contract, they'll have to pay for the privilege!

Please keep in mind, this is the first time Yellow has received serious resistance from Teamster leadership since the first MOU. The company has always negotiated in public with the empty pockets routine. If they had simply asked for a straight change of operations and zip code realignment, they wouldn't be in this position. If they want to change the contract, they'll have to pay for the privilege!

You tell'm. No more empty pockets routine. Now that they're flush with cash we want some.

Yellow took on a lot of debt to buy Roadway. It was a risk based on the economics of the day. Then came the "great recession" of 2008. Yellow never recovered. I retired from Yellow in 2004, before the crash and after the Roadway purchase. Yellow/Roadway was doing well. I don't believe the concessions were to screw over anyone. The concessions and real estate sales were necessary to generate enough cash flow to remain viable. The union members can agree to work for the compensation package Yellow can afford, or strike and force Yellow into bankruptcy.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, as someone who has been a Teamster since 1971 and who has experienced the elimination of thousands of Teamster jobs at hundreds of Teamster represented companies in our industry, I think a more pragmatic view must be taken before we end up with literally no Teamster representation anymore in LTL. Just my opinion looking at the bigger picture.
When you consider the massive amount of Teamsters that will be eliminated with this COO and replaced with subcontractors, not to mention giving up work rules that were hard fought for by generations past. Then there are all the lost benefits and pay we've already given up, plus the future of the young guys just starting out who are looking at little to no retirement benefits. All this so the senior guys can draw a few more paychecks at the expense of everything else. No, I understand the IBT's position on this.

If Yellow wants to do this they need to pay a competitive wage and return benefits so these young guys will be able to retire one day. The question I hear on these boards constantly is "where is the money going to come from?" Well, it's not my problem, but a couple of suggestions would be from the money from the wages of the thousands of jobs that will be lost when the road drivers displace the dock workers. Possibly the money that was previously spent on thousands of hotel rooms daily. Maybe the thousands of dollars this company spends daily on layover pay for the thousands of drivers sitting in those hotels because the can't seem to coordinate freight. Maybe stop wasting millions of dollars on stuff that they can do without. A good example of this, I see new bathrooms at the 580 Little Rock terminal. We aren't talking about new toilet paper holders, we're talking a 100% tearout of a perfectly functional bathroom. My guess is about a $50-$60K remodel with new terrazzo floors and fixtures. Possibly cut the bonus program to once a year and only if the company is profitable.

The biggest problem I see with this new COO is it doesn't address the real problem with this company, management. What will you be willing to give up next time?