My 1998 Saturn laid down on me...

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
Yup thats right I drive a 1998 Saturn back and forth to work everyday because I am not going to put the miles on my GMC 2500 or buy the gas for it. I commute about 60+ miles a day

This 1998 Saturn has a special auto transmission in it that made it a very popular car for RVers because you could flat tow it in neutral and not burn the trans out of it, When I had a motor home I actually used this old car as a beach car and pilled it behind the Winnebago.

Well I sold the Winnebago and kept the car and the towbar , I always keep the towbar in the trunk incase I break down so I can just come get it with my 2500 and not have to pay a 200$ tow bill.
Thats what happened today. The Saturn laid down on me ,well really it didn't but it did. In order to get the key out the car has to be in park like most vehicles but the car was in park and it was stuck in ACC and would not move to start or remove. I messed with it a while and thought I better stop before I broke the key. Called the wife to bring me the 2500 and hooked the tow bar and took it home thinking it was the end of the Saturn. It burns a little oil but the AC works and it gets 30 mpg or so so I got a pair of pliars and started working on that key and I be dammed I got it all unstuck and it lives for another day.

Long live the Saturn

Yup thats right I drive a 1998 Saturn back and forth to work everyday because I am not going to put the miles on my GMC 2500 or buy the gas for it. I commute about 60+ miles a day

This 1998 Saturn has a special auto transmission in it that made it a very popular car for RVers because you could flat tow it in neutral and not burn the trans out of it, When I had a motor home I actually used this old car as a beach car and pilled it behind the Winnebago.

Well I sold the Winnebago and kept the car and the towbar , I always keep the towbar in the trunk incase I break down so I can just come get it with my 2500 and not have to pay a 200$ tow bill.
Thats what happened today. The Saturn laid down on me ,well really it didn't but it did. In order to get the key out the car has to be in park like most vehicles but the car was in park and it was stuck in ACC and would not move to start or remove. I messed with it a while and thought I better stop before I broke the key. Called the wife to bring me the 2500 and hooked the tow bar and took it home thinking it was the end of the Saturn. It burns a little oil but the AC works and it gets 30 mpg or so so I got a pair of pliars and started working on that key and I be dammed I got it all unstuck and it lives for another day.

Long live the Saturn
How's the radio? :17142::17142:

At least you didn't need to replace the starter, battery, ignition switch, and run long cables from the trunk battery to the starter.....for months.
Until you finally figure out it's that the pushrod from the clutch peddle that's not sitting in there perfectly, which is the problem.

You figure out your problem quick.

Long live the Saturn
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt the dealer will help you with a warranty claim. Every mile you put on it is like money in your pocket. Everything on the place has been out of warranty for many years. The 94 Silverado that has survived the driving of one son & my wife has 323,000.

It's got electric windows but the driver side window won't come down. It don't have tinted windows
Good that it stopped working when it was up. I drove an old Caprice to work for many years that I considered to be depreciated to zero. It was good on fuel & low maintenance. I did not lock it at work because I figured nobody would steal it. I did not want the door window broken out if somebody wanted to open the door. It had some 'Battle Scars' from the previous owner so it wasn't a target for thieves. I know I saved many dollars on payments alone over the years. I even drove it on a few long vacation trips. It was very dependable & never left me on the side of the road. I figured if it did break down a long way from home it wasn't worth the cost of towing it. I planned to just coast into a salvage yard, pull the tag & ride a bus home.

right at 200k runs great though
There was a driver at out terminal who would buy Volkswagen diesels with over 100K miles for giveaway prices & drive them for years. He had a Rabbit, Jetta & even a pickup. They got in the 50 MPG range. For a while others made fun of his 'Junkers' but when fuel got up to $4 a gallon several asked him if he knew where they could find one. They had been driving new duallies to work, making payments & getting in the 10-12 MPG range.
Two of my frieds in the shop bought old Mercedes diesels & ran them on vegetable oil they got free at at restaurants. The restaurants had been paying for disposal of used cooking oil & were glad to give it away. All they had to do to the oil was to strain it. Yes, the exhaust smelled like french fries.