Need advice

Moneyman01

Proud to be a dad!
Credits
Guys Im in a pickle. I like my job for the most part but working 6-7 days a week is making it very hard to see my son. Im a single dad (i have my son everyother week) but I work so much I never get anytime with him. Hes always at daycare or with my parents. I was told i would be forced to work on my days off once in a while not every week. Since Im not on routes (extraboard) I have lost atleast 200 dollars a week in pay to. Way it sounds I still have an opportunity at another foodservice company. Working 4 days a week and having set routes and make 60k to start. What do you guys think?

Guys Im in a pickle. I like my job for the most part but working 6-7 days a week is making it very hard to see my son. Im a single dad (i have my son everyother week) but I work so much I never get anytime with him. Hes always at daycare or with my parents. I was told i would be forced to work on my days off once in a while not every week. Since Im not on routes (extraboard) I have lost atleast 200 dollars a week in pay to. Way it sounds I still have an opportunity at another foodservice company. Working 4 days a week and having set routes and make 60k to start. What do you guys think?

Personally, 4 days a week and 60k would be the PERFECT scenario for me. Nothing, in my opinion, is more important than time with the family. I currently work 5 days, M-F, and Mrs. Pflash is off Sunday and Wednesday. I would do almost anything to have that Wednesday and the weekends off to spend with her and the kids. Fortunately, Wednesday is USUALLY an early day for me so I'm envisioning relaxing by the pool as a nice middle of the week treat when the kids are out of school.

Is 60k a pay cut for you? If the money is close, I'd take the 4 day job without even blinking. In my scenario, I'd be okay to take a little cut in pay for the schedule. How old is your son? My twins will be 12 in July and I missed so much of their childhood because of my previous job and its screwy hours. You don't get that time back, brother.

Again, that's just my opinion. Only YOU can decide what's best for you, and I can't even imagine what it would be like to only see my kids 50% of the time. Take it from me, make your time with your son as meaningful as possible.

I would at least try to find out what some of the other "routed" drivers are working to see if it might not be something worth waiting for your own route, but I would suspect that with you being a low man you'll be bouncing around filling in on vaction routes. One of the other things I always liked to look for is place that doesn't run 7 days a week, that way you have at least one maybe two days off (sat/sun).

Thanks guys. No I took a pay cut from my last job to come here. I mainly came here for personal reasons (moved back home for fiance, then she left me) and I really liked my last job and the company I drove for. I would make the same amount at this company as I did at my last job.Only thing is I'll be delivering only to Asian resturants. It would be nice to have a 4 day work week. Also my son just turned 1 aroound 2 weeks ago.

kboom I have asked around. Ive been told it might be 3-5 years before I start to get to the good "part" but yet there still working 6 days a week but usually not as often. Its pretty much if you have hours for the next day you are working. Ive asked how much they take home in 2 weeks. Usually 2500 but thats at 6 days a week. At this other job my buddy (who can get me a job there) is taking home 1600-1700 every 2 weeks so to me its almost the same. Yeah It might be harder work because your 2 wheeling and doin 10-15 stops a day unlike MB where we use rollers and only 4-7 stops a day but having a life might be worth it. I dont know. I've talked to GT about it and its kinda of a toss up. I could retire from MB but I dont want to be stuck there and not being able to spend time with family. I dont know its a hard decision. Ive even heard senior drivers dont recommend MB to anyone because of the tough life and some of them said if they had to do it over they wouldnt go there.

Oops one more thing Kboom. I do have a bid but its not extra board. Im a overnight spotter. AKA yard boy

I know that you will do the right thing for you and yours, something to think about, nothing good comes easy, there is always sacrifice, even at Asian Foods, there will be BS, after all its a Sysco company, take it from me, there will be BS! Another thing, I don't remember, is Asian Foods union? I wouldn't work for Sysco in any form in a non-union environment, ask the guys at Sysco Arkansas, they are afraid for their jobs everyday, managment threatens them day after day, they have impossible goals to obtain.

I am not sure you are giving this job a fair chance, however, if you are unhappy, and REALLY unhappy, life is to short for that.

You know I will support you and stand with you whatever you decide, your a great friend, I only wish the best for you.

Remember Brother, there is a difference between to good to give up and giving up something thats good.

I like the quote Starkravinloon has, I think he still has it, "there comes a time in everyones life when you have to choose to turn the page or close the book" I'm paraphrasing of course.

Keep us posted, we all care what happens to you!

GT

GT I know what your saying but I dont want to miss out anything on Jacksons life. Hes only little like this once. When I do have him i really only get to see him 1 full day and maybe a hour the other days if Im lucky. You know how my ex is. If she finds out its not gonna be good. This is why I might have to do something.

No Asian foods is not union. The drivers voted it down because they feel they dont need a union. Everyone seems happy at Asian foods except senior guys. Mainly because of cameras. Sysco in Fargo drivers are happy to. Must be just certain centers

n
GT I know what your saying but I dont want to miss out anything on Jacksons life. Hes only little like this once. When I do have him i really only get to see him 1 full day and maybe a hour the other days if Im lucky. You know how my ex is. If she finds out its not gonna be good. This is why I might have to do something.

No Asian foods is not union. The drivers voted it down because they feel they dont need a union. Everyone seems happy at Asian foods except senior guys. Mainly because of cameras. Sysco in Fargo drivers are happy to. Must be just certain centers
I think you have made up your mind, thats ok, you and only you know whats best for you and yours, I have been where you are now, my mind is made up but there is that bit of uncertanty, I hung on at Fedex because of that exact thing, hung on way to long, if your mind is made up like I think it is, no sense in waiting around, give Asian foods a call.