XPO | need advise

jamrock

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi, just need some advise from yu older guys. I have being working for conway six month now, i came out of school. At my terminal (which is philly) it is slow and seems like it is not picking up. Everyday i was told that it is going to pick up but it look like it is not. Some guys going on vacation and we are going to work their route but what about when they come back, it is going to be slow again for us. I like this company and i thank them for taking me on board but things is getting harder for me, i have a family and have bills and student loan to pay. i am about to move on but i am the kind of person that do not like to jump from job to job.

jamrock said:
Hi, just need some advise from yu older guys. I have being working for conway six month now, i came out of school. At my terminal (which is philly) it is slow and seems like it is not picking up. Everyday i was told that it is going to pick up but it look like it is not. Some guys going on vacation and we are going to work their route but what about when they come back, it is going to be slow again for us. I like this company and i thank them for taking me on board but things is getting harder for me, i have a family and have bills and student loan to pay. i am about to move on but i am the kind of person that do not like to jump from job to job.
from what others have told me about other companies, it'll pretty much be the same, unless there's a terminal for someone in your area that is waayy short drivers or something.

obviously you have to do what you have to do to survive. if con-way isn't working you enough to survive then you need to find another place to work to feed your family. however, if con-way is working you enough to survive off of, just weather it out. the freight industry is not the most stable and there are going to be good years and bad years. right now you're in a slump because you are at the bottom of the totem pole and this isn't the best year for freight (obviously). however, things will change. freight volumes will pick up over time, you will build up your seniority, and the pay checks will get bigger and better. overall, con-way is a great company to work for and i think you made a great decision to join them. if you can, hold out. it may be hard right now, and honestly, next winter will probobly be hell. but in the long run, you will be better off having stayed it through.

well when i first started for the first year it was bad, the bottom of the flex board. only worked for 3-4 days a week, but i was able to stick it out. now been with the co for 6 years now, and i am glad i stayed with it .now i got a good city start time .:bgroovy:

jamrock said:

I was in the exact same boat as you. I haven't had more than 2 days a week since January. I held out as long as I could but wound up getting starved out. With a foreclosure and a repo looming I had no choice but to bail on Con-Way last week and went over to PJAX. I'm not going to say this was an easy choice or maybe a wise one, taking a pay and benefit cut, but it was a necessary one for the benefit of my family. Con-Way is a good place to work, but the barn I was at, they overhired. At PJAX I'm already getting more hours than I need and will have a city run within a few weeks. Hated to do it and it was a hard decision, but you do what you gotta do.

You should do what you feel is best for you/your family... As a general rule freight picks up as warmer weather moves in... But I don't know enough about Philly area terminals to say whether it's best to bail or stay... Hopefully freight picks up quickly and you don't have to make a hard decision...

Good luck no matter what you decide, MG

I say stick it out ,
you have only been there for 6 months
and you are on the bottom of the board .
Give it at least another 6 months .
Good luck whatever you do .

jamrock ,maybe ask your service center manager if you could go to another service center close by and work out of there for a few weeks ? i dont know baout the metro teminals ,.but here in the midwest if its slow they will ask us if we want to go to another barn and work,..conway pays for hotels,gas and food not a bad deal ,..you just have to be away from home during the week. just an option.

Don't mean to start no stuff, just offer an alternative. At FedEx Freight, we're covered up. I'd say that since you only have 6 months invested, right now, you've got nothing to lose; no matter where you go.

Good luck.

nobody said:
Don't mean to start no stuff, just offer an alternative. At FedEx Freight, we're covered up. I'd say that since you only have 6 months invested, right now, you've got nothing to lose; no matter where you go.

Good luck.

He said he just got out of school. Does Fedex hire with only 6 months exp?

thanks for advice

if i could go to fedex i would. fedex and mclane are two company i am looking at. but for the moment i am taking it slow to see if things change here, if not then i have to move on.

Ditto! I'm with Jamrock, but the FXF out here wants at least a year under your belt:( and Meclane won't even return my calls. Thought about going to ODFL but they may be going through the same no-freight bs.

jamrock said:
if i could go to fedex i would. fedex and mclane are two company i am looking at. but for the moment i am taking it slow to see if things change here, if not then i have to move on.

If you are talking about mclane(food service delivery). You are looking at a 53' of all hand freight on the floor nose to back. I know some guys that WORKED there. Emphasis on WORKED. You deliver to restaurants and small mom and pop stores and unload by hand at each account.. So I’d check on that.

RevItUp said:
He said he just got out of school. Does Fedex hire with only 6 months exp?

Not sure, and, honestly, don't think so. But, keep on trying, and maybe let the folks at FDX know you're available, and maybe they'll make an exception for you, (we're famous for making exceptions, trust me on this one).

Best of luck.
Lou