FedEx Freight | Need help learning how to drop and hook a set of doubles.

trucksrfun

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi I'm in the process of getting a job in the ltl industry and unfortunately have never broke down or hooked up a set of doubles and I have to know how to do this for this company during the drive test and they don't train. If anyone is willing to show me in person or let me get some hands on experience I would greatly appreciate it. I have already watched all the videos I can and I need the in person experience. I would even be wiling to pay someone for their time. I have called trucking schools with no luck. I live an hr north of the Los Angeles Ca area and an hr north of the Ontario/Fontana Ca area. I have already taken the drive test once and failed in the beginning of the hooking up because I was very nervous and the drive test instructor could tell I had never done it in person. The hiring manager is giving me one more chance but told me to go get hands on experience and call her back. I have very limited time or I will lose this opportunity all together.

Hard to beat actually doing it. I can not help there but if you do here is a tip. Spot the dolly right against the trailer. Drop a glove or something else about 2 feet past the eye but just on the outside of the tire. This will give you a reference point when you back the lead trailer up to the dolly. Try to stop lead trailer tire close to the market object. If you are straight then you have a very short distance for the dolly to travel. This will keep it from missing the pin if it turns while hooking.

Probably former management, now looking for work in the field he used to manage. That's not you is it Bill?

I'm an actual driver honestly trying to get hands on help. I posted in so many forums because it gets to more drivers and the possibility for more help.

Ditto RC. Suspicious. All you need to get hired here it seems is a heartbeat, the hot shot trainers do the rest. Sounds like a troller trying to get somebody fired.

If you really want a job in ltl look on line at FedEx.com/careers they will give you a chance, and if you can get it hooked without tearing anything up you get the job. As a matter of fact when I went to work here hooking a set wasn't part of the road test, and since most places it's not can't understand why it would keep you from getting a job but then I'm not in cal either

I'm an actual driver honestly trying to get hands on help. I posted in so many forums because it gets to more drivers and the possibility for more help.

Well good luck to you then. You claim to be a driver, but can't accomplish the first task before leaving the yard. I know everyone starts somewhere, but it's not a job that anyone can do. The dumbing down of our career is insulting at times.

Here is what I did.

I drove my personal vehicle to a Con-Way hub, thats close to my house. Parked next to their lot, and just watched, for abt 45min, guys hooking, and breaking sets down.

Also, when our guys give "Road tests", to new hires, they walk you through the hooking, and breaking down process.

Overall, its common sense, as long as you understand how the air system works between pulling 2 trailers.

Dude if you cant even hook a set how the hell are you going to know how to control a set. Boy glad I'm not driving those roads in Cal.
Oh, for crying out loud. Doubles are not any more difficult to drag than a long single trailer. In fact, in some ways, they are easier to pull. Stop making it sound like we are special. We are, just not in that way.

Guardrail

Abf expects the driver to not only know how to do it but to do it like you have been doing it for years. At least the test drive instructor at my terminal is an extreme stickler.I have hauled bottom dumps and pneumatics so I know how to haul them.