SAIA | need someone to check the handbook

Demolitionman

TB Veteran
Credits
3 guys I know are suspended b/c they have a Saturday part-time driving job. IIRC, the handbook says Saia frowns upon it, but it cannot interfere with your hours to work at Saia. I left my handbook there when we parted ways, I am just curious if my recolection is correct. That terminal has went to hell recently.

Altho I have never worked for Saia, most company's have a simalier(sp) rule. If you are employed 'off-site', it must not "interfere with your responsibilty here at XXX Freight Lines". Most Safety Depts.( and DOT regs.) require you to log all hours that you are compensated for at another job, even if it is not a driving job.

I didn't see anything that it was a no no. They cut so many driver to 30 hrs a week that they have to work a part time job to survive. cut policy is not being followed they work who they want to and cut other driver multiply times a week.

Jack, I know what your saying, but from the company point of view they offer the employee a complete 'benefit package',ie; health benefits, AD+D, short-term and long-term disability. The company doesnt wasnt some other company getting a free ride, if you get hurt away from your main employer, the main employer is stuck with paying the medical payments for you.

Agreed. If we get cut, the company isn't going to step in and pay my bills. Heck, at my barn there is one guy who hasn't been cut in three years, while the rest of us are on rotation...so a guy has to do what he can to feed his family

I was cut twice from my current job this week, but both were my choice. I understand what everyone is saying, but its really no different than some that do contracting or whatever else on the side that does not involve driving. The guys were not running illegally on either side. They were on atleast days at Saia, and made sure they had their 10 off and reset in. But in the end we know it is their playground....but still.

So, if I drive full time for Saia (which I do), and I take some side work doing construction on my days off, is that allowed? I mean, really, this is getting ridiculous...where do you draw the line? Shingling and siding is physically demanding, so I get tired. Do I need to log that? Or, if I am hauling grain on my days off...is that allowed? I mean, seriously. What is the standard Saia? And is it universal, or just followed "here and there" like so many other rules? I'm totally confused. Only thing I'm not confused about is seeing the bills on the counter...the bank needs their money too

geez, did they really have to fire them? I suppose it wouldn't work to sit down, employer to employee, and communicate that they would have to choose. Sometimes big brother can be a real pain in the you-know-what...

They did fire all 3 on Tuesday. They all left the terminal and went straight over here and went to work. The basis of the firing is Saia says you have to report your hours to both employers according to DOT regulations. One of them called the DOT and spoke with an officer. The officer said that is not true, you just need to be able to show an officer your hours if they ask. Now a days it is as simple as bringing out your phone. He plans to appeal.

They did fire all 3 on Tuesday. They all left the terminal and went straight over here and went to work. The basis of the firing is Saia says you have to report your hours to both employers according to DOT regulations. One of them called the DOT and spoke with an officer. The officer said that is not true, you just need to be able to show an officer your hours if they ask. Now a days it is as simple as bringing out your phone. He plans to appeal.
The DOT doesn't set company policy. You break the rules and you face the consequences just like every one else.

Let me also add that anything HR does is for the overall success of this company. No company likes to terminate any employee because much has been invested in them. Some of you think that they sit in that Ivory Tower and think of things they can do to terminate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most on here know I will always side with the company .... ALWAYS !!!! It comes from my background I suppose and the fact that my loyalty will always be with my company. Familiarity breeds contempt. Many bring things on themselves. I know what humility is and many on here don't. If I was ever fired from here I would accept it and walk away graciously knowing that somehow I messed up .... I know that God is always in control ... If anyone would tell you the shortest, surest way to happiness and all perfection, he must tell you to make it A RULE to yourself to thank and praise God for everything that happens to you. For it is certain that whatever seeming calamity happens to you, if you thank and praise God for it, you turn it into a blessing. What life means to us is determined not so much by what life brings to us as by the attitude we bring to life. Not so much by what happens to us as by our reaction to what happens. Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue!

So, without getting all religious...the company sure didn't have any qualms when they did the layoff a few years back. And don't ever forget that they didn't layoff management, they went right after drivers and dock first, then cut some office staff. No HR, no sales, just operations. It all happened for a reason all right: because some folks in the company are way overpaid in the first place, and didn't set up the company to be successful in the event of a recession. OD didn't layoff, didn't cut wages...Saia did, and that speaks volumes about the people calling the shots. Very very sad