Yellow | NEW 241 Drivers already laid off!

DragBikeMike

TB Lurker
Credits
looks as if the 7 or 8 new drivers we had come on board 2 weeks ago have already been laid off.:nutkick:

I spoke with one of our dispatchers on my way out today and he mentioned it . Neither of us were impressed...

wow... 3 years in a row of having guys quit their old jobs and come to us to get passed down the gauntlet that in the end will sour everyone.

Getting quality drivers in this day a nd age is hard - and as word gets around about how YRC is handling their staffing needs, they will find it even harder to get guys willing to ride the poverty horse for a few years.

I quit recommending Roadway to acquaintances after 2 guys were laid off before the ink was dry on their ID badges a few years back.

One guy still will not talk to me (he quit a job where he had been the number 1 man - and had 17 years with them...).:hide:

It is an embarrassment for us as Drivers - and for our Corporate standing to resort to this method of "filling the voids"...:1036316054:

I know the logic of why YRC does this - but in the long run it will hurt us.
I also understand the logic the Union has towards keeping the guys on hand and senior busy and productive - but the flow of freight should be more predictable for us - especially in an age where our market share has shrunk to a core group of customers.

Know the feeling brother, have filed grievances to have the company replace the guyz we lost due to retirement and utility. TM dragging his feet and now at this time of year I'm like you, telling guyz to stay away till spring then apply. We are short 7 guyz on the city side list, labor day day weekend , end of the month and the city board exhausted. You know the math and then they wanted me to work over 60 hours. Yeah right like that will happen and have an accident over my 60 hours and they will drop me like a bad habit.

Trying to move more with less my work for alittle while but over the long run you lose your effectiveness and productivity of manpower when we get burned out. Whatever happened to the safety issue they use to pound into us.

14 day wonders

years ago yellow freight (before yrcw) had a terrible reputation for hiring 29 day wonders. Work the new hires 29 days then let them go. I was told they quit that practice because they could not get qualified driver to come to yellow. I guess with this fast paced, hurry up world today yrcw can only give the new hires 14 days now

29 day wonder

This is a despicable manner in which to treat people. But it just shows the lack of regard yrc has for its people. I would not recommend a friend of mine to quit and hire on at yrc, (yes I have a few friends, but not enough to lose any).
Wait, did I say people? I meant resource. There is no more Personel Dept, now it's Human Resource. You know, resources to be used and disposed of, replaceable inanimate objects; tires , fuel , drivers. :nutkick:

I wouldn't tell anyone to come back to roadway. I've seen it to many times how layoff guys come back then before first check their gone again. As weeks and days go by more and more teamsters are seeing YRCW true colors. Even the boys who live for yellow & blue are tasting the brown flavor.

Bro's

I think we should stop the old Yellow old Roadway crap. I've got very little Roadway pride left and we are soon going to be ONE. Soooooooo lets look at our Roadway & Yellow brethren (and sisters) and forget the old days, roll up our sleeves, put our work gloves on and kick some non-union A$$:nutkick::funky::1036316054:

well Roadway never did this prior to Yellow...
I think it is an Overland Park Kansas decision...

Mike Smid .......ex Roadway Ceo?.......hmm wonder .......is it his fault?.....Is it the market?......Is it the fact that Roadyway up until few yrs ago wasn't buying new equipment except for road units they we're still using the cab over fords..........I worked for Roadway in the mid 90's and they we're trailers with holes in the floors in almost everyone.....holes in the roof.....holes in the wall.....Fork lifts so old that they we're constantly breaking down....I asked for dunnage to put between the freight and they told me load it without it......Yellow may be many things but we use loading decks, air bags, plenty of load locks....if trailer is bad they fix it within a week.....I have noticed since yellow took over Roadway I am seeing more new city units new trailers not sure of the forklifts or dunnage issues........I have been with yellow since 95 and by the time this all goes down I will have a bit over 14 yrs and 16 with the teamsters.....Do I like what is happening no ...Do I agree with dovetail yes.......it is the teamster thing to do...anyone that says different that person has no concept of being a teamster is........will I lose my job maybe, maybe not but if I do I know that I can hold my head high when I tell people I am a true teamster...no endtail bullcrap.....:1036316054:

i think we should stop the old yellow old roadway crap. I've got very little roadway pride left and we are soon going to be one. Soooooooo lets look at our roadway & yellow brethren (and sisters) and forget the old days, roll up our sleeves, put our work gloves on and kick some non-union a$$:nutkick::funky::1036316054:
well said my brother can i get an amen?.....:1036316054:

ready for a fight?

I think we should stop the old Yellow old Roadway crap. I've got very little Roadway pride left and we are soon going to be ONE. Soooooooo lets look at our Roadway & Yellow brethren (and sisters) and forget the old days, roll up our sleeves, put our work gloves on and kick some non-union A$$:nutkick::funky::1036316054:
Im non union usf reddaway/ca.. and Im ready for rolled up sleeves, work glove, non union butt kicking, because it will end when you roll up on me.....!!!!!:smilie_132:

Loss of sleep?

WOW, now I'm not going to be able to sleep during the day worrying that your somewhere out there looking for me............NOT!:hysterical: