Yellow | New April 1 Wage Rates In Ohio!

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
April 1, 2002 that is...back when it was big $$$$! Multiply by 130 to adjust for the cumulative inflation and compare with wages today.

Depends on which location your at, some have strictly dock bids, other terminals are all combo dock/drivers.

Dream, get the point the OP was making. I made my comment because I was surprised to see that in some areas, a non cdl worker can earn nearly as much as a driver. It doesn't make sense to me.

Where I work, our non cdl dock men earn a little over half of what a driver working the dock earns. It seems to me that dock men are not a sufficiently valuable enough asset to justify their relatively high pay.

load your own trucks .see how that works out .then check the other thread about gallager basset .you will need the info

btw figure it out they were at full rate with med h/w and pension so it was more than current wages

Longblade, I do load my own truck sometimes and I don't mind, I unload and load trailers at night on the O/B dock and I also drive a P&D run. I have a CDL and get paid driver wages, our dock workers make way less than I do, as they should, because they do not have my knowledge, experience, and they don't take the risks I take either as part of my job. If my company ever puts dock worker pay as close to mine as what YRC does, I'll be upset about that because I don't think I am a more important asset to my company than they are. And I read the Gallagher Basset thread and I don't see how it is relevant to this discussion.

Longblade, I do load my own truck sometimes and I don't mind, I unload and load trailers at night on the O/B dock and I also drive a P&D run. I have a CDL and get paid driver wages, our dock workers make way less than I do, as they should, because they do not have my knowledge, experience, and they don't take the risks I take either as part of my job. If my company ever puts dock worker pay as close to mine as what YRC does, I'll be upset about that because I don't think I am a more important asset to my company than they are. And I read the Gallagher Basset thread and I don't see how it is relevant to this discussion.
This will make no sense I'm sure. You are no more important to the job than any clerk, mechanic, or even the Janitor for that matter. It would be a just a few days before your standing around doing nothing without others that support the operation. Could go on for days but it would be all in vain I'm afraid. :notworthy:

This will make no sense I'm sure. You are no more important to the job than any clerk, mechanic, or even the Janitor for that matter. It would be a just a few days before your standing around doing nothing without others that support the operation. Could go on for days but it would be all in vain I'm afraid. :notworthy:

You said a mouthful. Every function supports the end product, SERVICE. I don't think hammerdownat62 understands what respect or dignity really mean.

Personally I find that without drivers or dock workers my job gets much easier..............................of course that pesky revenue(or lack there of) thing comes into play.

not trying to push any buttons but loading your city load with a pallet jack is not the same as loading a couple 23,000 pups to go down the road . you may be the exception but my point is that most guys who are used to sitting and turning a steering wheel all day have no clue the skill it takes to work the dock and load trailers correctly..
You may think that driving is so much more important than loading a good money making trailer.but i assure you its much harder than any one who hasnt done it thinks
btw its pretty dangerous too

Personally I find that without drivers or dock workers my job gets much easier..............................of course that pesky revenue(or lack there of) thing comes into play.

It's ALWAYS about money isn't? :hide::Emoticon_digging:

not trying to push any buttons but loading your city load with a pallet jack is not the same as loading a couple 23,000 pups to go down the road . you may be the exception but my point is that most guys who are used to sitting and turning a steering wheel all day have no clue the skill it takes to work the dock and load trailers correctly..
You may think that driving is so much more important than loading a good money making trailer.but i assure you its much harder than any one who hasnt done it thinks
btw its pretty dangerous too
I agree with everything you say. But on my dock, we drivers double as the forklift operators and sometimes dock men. I work at Con-way where we are trained on all the jobs involving our trade. You and I, we come from different trucking worlds. So you see, from my POV, if they paid a dock man even close to what they paid me, I'm going to be upset. I sometimes load my own trailer in the morning if I come in and I'm still waiting on freight, so I understand the benefit of having good forklift operators because I am a forklift operator, a dockman, a yard jockey, and a city driver and sometimes a linehaul driver, if they need me to be. From my perspective, it makes no sense to pay non-CDL employees 90% of drivers wages. Our company saves money because we are all cross trained and it makes us more competitive, at least that's my opinion. And right now, I'm more worried about my company remaining profitable against a bunch of new driver rules and emissions regulations that is strangling our industry to death. So as far as I'm concerned, the less my company can pay some temp dock guy to lump the freight, the better chance I keep my job going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said a mouthful. Every function supports the end product, SERVICE. I don't think hammerdownat62 understands what respect or dignity really mean.
Albag, I read your posts and you seem to me like a pretty decent guy who talks in a common sense kinda way. I'll tell you what I understand about respect and dignity They are things which aren't usually reciprocated in most work places, including yours. You have a contract in place that requires that mgmt treat you a certain way, there are guidelines as to disciplinary procedures, and things they can and cannot do to you, but that has nothing to do with respect or dignity. Your company couldn't care less about any of you drivers any more than my company cares about ours, so don't kid yourself into thinking that you're respected and that your employer wants to treat you with dignity. Like me, you're nothing more than a body and we can both be replaced.

I agree with everything you say. But on my dock, we drivers double as the forklift operators and sometimes dock men. I work at Con-way where we are trained on all the jobs involving our trade. You and I, we come from different trucking worlds. So you see, from my POV, if they paid a dock man even close to what they paid me, I'm going to be upset. I sometimes load my own trailer in the morning if I come in and I'm still waiting on freight, so I understand the benefit of having good forklift operators because I am a forklift operator, a dockman, a yard jockey, and a city driver and sometimes a linehaul driver, if they need me to be. From my perspective, it makes no sense to pay non-CDL employees 90% of drivers wages. Our company saves money because we are all cross trained and it makes us more competitive, at least that's my opinion. And right now, I'm more worried about my company remaining profitable against a bunch of new driver rules and emissions regulations that is strangling our industry to death. So as far as I'm concerned, the less my company can pay some temp dock guy to lump the freight, the better chance I keep my job going forward.

hd, most at union eols do every job as well. Conway employees are not alone nor exceptional. Please add to your list, notify clerk, general maintenance, dock supervisor, dispatcher, salesperson, sometimes playground monitor and kindergarten teacher.

There will always be an argument that some deserve to be paid more or less than others. In general, wages must be suitable for survival. That's the whole "UNION" concept that seems to escape your vision.

Albag, I read your posts and you seem to me like a pretty decent guy who talks in a common sense kinda way. I'll tell you what I understand about respect and dignity They are things which aren't usually reciprocated in most work places, including yours. You have a contract in place that requires that mgmt treat you a certain way, there are guidelines as to disciplinary procedures, and things they can and cannot do to you, but that has nothing to do with respect or dignity. Your company couldn't care less about any of you drivers any more than my company cares about ours, so don't kid yourself into thinking that you're respected and that your employer wants to treat you with dignity. Like me, you're nothing more than a body and we can both be replaced.

In theory, the pure dock employee is as skilled at their job as the driver is at their's. Those men and women freeze in winter and swelter in summer. Their work allows a driver to maximize his/her HOS for driving. The respect and dignity I refer to is from one employee to another. In today's America most employers consider employees as a necessary evil.

In theory, the pure dock employee is as skilled at their job as the driver is at their's. Those men and women freeze in winter and swelter in summer. Their work allows a driver to maximize his/her HOS for driving. The respect and dignity I refer to is from one employee to another. In today's America most employers consider employees as a necessary evil.
That is because their considered resources, not people. The company has a human resource department, do they not? See, when people are viewed as a resource (a number, instead of a person) attitude towards another person changes, sometimes it could result as positive or negative. Of course, when climate changes of social behavior from an employer or employee becomes unsustainable within a business, practices of workplace bullying could become a problem.

Now the company IMO, should be practicing more ethical solutions for a sustainable business. If it was up to me albag, I would use the developmental ethics and philosophies of Ecopedagogy. Because in order to have a successful business, a company must integrate by promoting ethical responsibility that would reflect on the economic, social, and environmental aspects of a business. IMO albag, the key is constructing a third way view for 'visualization' and 'collaboration' to have a successful business.

IMO albag, the company should restructure this business into a corporate governance, and employees should become more communitarian (everyone works together and gets treated the same) which could create for a safer work environment for everyone. Of course, it is not going to happen overnight, but I'm sure as time moves forward people will adapt to the culture change in a work environment.

hd, most at union eols do every job as well. Conway employees are not alone nor exceptional. Please add to your list, notify clerk, general maintenance, dock supervisor, dispatcher, salesperson, sometimes playground monitor and kindergarten teacher.

There will always be an argument that some deserve to be paid more or less than others. In general, wages must be suitable for survival. That's the whole "UNION" concept that seems to escape your vision.
List updated, as to your second sentence, I understand the concept of sustainable wages and the union's mission to make that happen, but I don't agree with it as I don't agree with a federal minimum wage. I think that people's wages should be set by forces that exist in the labor market, supply and demand, entry level wage vs experienced level wage, more skill vs less skill, who makes more for the company vs who makes less. Wages should not be set so that a worker can sustain a minimum standard of living because that causes rising prices. A person should learn to live within whatever means they have and if they want more, then they should do what they need to do to make themselves more valuable to an employer. Capitalism allows for most working people to be upwardly mobile if they want to be. No system is perfect, but I think our system is the best at providing the most people with the most opportunity most of the time. I think that union contracts and minimum wage laws artificially inflate wages and benefits and place undue burdens on companies in ways that have negative price effects for consumers who use the service or product provided by the union shop or paid at a minimum wage. My two cents, thanks to all for not running me out of your group.