Yellow | "New" Blue Freightshaker

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
This past week I looked out on the drop line and saw one of those freshly painted blue Freightliners. I worked in the yard the next day and it was nowhere to be found. I'm guessing that the switchers hooked it out on the next run to 120!! :chairshot: LOL I was of the understanding that they were to be used in P+D?!? Have you guys seen them in linehaul?? DS.

Probably on its way to its new home just in time for christmas. I drove one in the city last week actually rides and turns better than the volvo conversions. Inside was trashed though on both we got in Indy.Indy must get a good price on converting and painting we have seen alot come through get converted and painted and then vanish. 6 internationals from Holland came in and where painted blue and sat for a couple of weeks and then where gone when I got back in friday.

Who ever came up with the idea of converting old worn out junk (10 million miles on the at the minimum) and putting it into City operations needs to be slapped by his momma.

I have to admit, the new paint on the 837/847 trucks makes them look kinda good. I have no problem with yrcw squeezing every last mile out of power as long as the unit can be made safe and user friendly. It's only good business.

I have to admit, the new paint on the 837/847 trucks makes them look kinda good. I have no problem with yrcw squeezing every last mile out of power as long as the unit can be made safe and user friendly. It's only good business.

many of the new blue trucks you see are penske rental trucks repainted.

I know one of the Freightliners is coming to 680-Raleigh. WE have been waiting for a month for it. They took one of our new Macks and sent it to Greenville, SC.

I seen a bunch of them in Buffalo.Their going thru them in the shop and then using them in the city.They also put power steering in them as required.Same old ***** with with new makeup!

Is that like my good friend says..........."Like putting lipstick on a pig"!! :hysterical: What little time I have spent in our trucks......The only problem with the Freightliners is the driver visibility. I could see this as a problem in the city. But I guess it's what you get used to and make sure of your moves before you do them. DS.

251 garage has been converting alot of the freight shakers. All have been shipped out though, along with most of our non air starts. A mechanic told me that a salesman from volvo gmc said that roadway paid 200 extra dollars per truck to not have power steering back when those gems were ordered. That made them a special order item cause power was standard. Roadway didn't want the extra maintnance cost. They sure are saving $ now converting them arent't they. I think they got what they deserve.

here is a link to some pics:

Old Roadway in new colors.

Rob
Hey militaryman4..........thanks for the link. I will try to have my camera ready if we have another roll through. As a side note, we had a couple of Freightliners over at the garage that were newly painted orange and blue with new grills and front bumpers. I think they were waiting to have power steering installed. Sweet looking but I guess RDWY can't decide what colors they want their trucks?!? DS.

no prob on the link - i tend to find myself on many boards (all under the same name though) You know, i figured this whole single color thing was gonna stick, but i hope not. i collect 1/64 scale and have a large Roadway collection (currently at 61 Roadway pcs alone) and that one all blue Peterbilt with the baseball trailer just doesnt fit in with the orange and blue - its just not, natural? i live here in Akron and pass Gorge St quite often and love seeing the old model out front - history right there ya know?

no prob on the link - i tend to find myself on many boards (all under the same name though) You know, i figured this whole single color thing was gonna stick, but i hope not.
I kinda think back to when they started putting the small Roadway Express signage on the pups after the spinoff. The reason was that everyone knows RDWY and the size of the name won't matter, and the cost was lower per pup. Well, I guess it did......because about a year later the big ROADWAY letters were back on the pups!!! Here's a question for all you "old timers" and nostalgia buffs.......back in the 50's or 60's most of the union carriers trucks were red. Were RDWY trucks red also??? DS.

Here's a question for all you "old timers" and nostalgia buffs.......back in the 50's or 60's most of the union carriers trucks were red. Were RDWY trucks red also??? DS.

After looking though Hank's Truck Pictures I would say,no. Butt most of the pics. from 50's & 60's are in black and white. Butt the trucks look to be "Two-Toned'',orange w/blue fenders or grills. All except the H-61 Cabover Macks,(aka."Cherrypickers")which look to be solid orange. I'm not old enough to remember trucks of the 60's, but I do remember as a kid seeing the LONG hooded Macks and Whites rolling up and down hwy.52 through Winston-Salem,NC.
Do any of you "Old Timers" at BIG-R in K-ville,NC remember when the terminal was in W-S? I think it was on Old Lexington Road.

ps.Sorry,I did not mean to ramble on, I just like the "Old School Trucking".:1036316054:

Do any of you "Old Timers" at BIG-R in K-ville,NC remember when the terminal was in W-S? I think it was on Old Lexington Road.
Several of our retired business agents talk about the W-S terminal. I'll ask the retirees about it when they have their monthly meeting next week, they'll remember!!:1036316054: Gotta love them!! DS.

Hey militaryman4..........thanks for the link. I will try to have my camera ready if we have another roll through. As a side note, we had a couple of Freightliners over at the garage that were newly painted orange and blue with new grills and front bumpers. I think they were waiting to have power steering installed. Sweet looking but I guess RDWY can't decide what colors they want their trucks?!? DS.
The word is now, their not going to repaint anymore old tractors-they decided it cost too much money, Duh:hide: