XPO | New Conway applicant

banditone

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm a new CDL holder and put in an app last week. I'm in S. Cal. Met with guy in charge and had informal interview. They want me to come back next week for formal interview.

He said sometimes they work 14 hours a day ,but right now it's about 6. OT starts at
8 and 40 hours.

Why such a gap in hours? Isn't 14 pushing on slave labor? Seems like a night job. Am I missing something? Are all LTL's night jobs?

banditone said:
I'm a new CDL holder and put in an app last week. I'm in S. Cal. Met with guy in charge and had informal interview. They want me to come back next week for formal interview.

He said sometimes they work 14 hours a day ,but right now it's about 6. OT starts at
8 and 40 hours.

Why such a gap in hours? Isn't 14 pushing on slave labor? Seems like a night job. Am I missing something? Are all LTL's night jobs?
first off welcome banditone to truckingboards.
the gap in hour has to do with freight levels on heavy days you can work up to 14 hr.and when freight is light they may only work you the hours that you are need. dot reg say you can work up to 14 hrs a day.and yes 90% of our fright move at night.most ltl company's move 75% or more of there freight at night.

I just found this site today. Lots of good reading. Seems lopsided that they can send you home early, but keep you late when they need to. I tried Conway because they will hire rookies. I'll see what happens. In the meantime, I'm gonna shop around and see what's available during the daytime. Thanks for the quick response.

Add a sentance

New hires don't want to work night and weekend anymore in the industry. This is contributing to the Driver shortage the industry has. Along with applicants that have DUI and DWI on there records. And people who have accidents in commercial vehicles on there records. This is what I am hearing at our barn from Management and Drivers also.