new engines

mayflower

TB Lurker
Credits
A friend of mine that works for GHB construction is going to volvo school . They were telling him by 2010 cat will not be able to meet apa standards for road trucks and thier machinery . they will be replacing thier engines with Detroits Commings an volvo engines The new volvo engine will not be able to be worked on because they are not making any extra internal parts. they will be a throw away engine. The muffler for this engine will cost about $2,000 dollars because it has a after burner in it to reburn excess polutions. the exhaust will burn about 1500* an will be built from stanless steel Has any one heard any thin about this

I for one can't belive that CAT won't be able to compete. That means they are saying that, they do not have the technology.I have a friend who's son teaches at a diesel school has has heard nothing of this.

I believe Volvo will ba a throw away.My opinion,
the rest of the truck is junk,why not the engine.As for Cat,they chose a different route to meet emission specs than everyone else.I think they are farther ahead because of the re-engineering of the fuel system<ACERT>rather than the easy egr system

Dont want to get in a pissing match,we have a difference of opinion.I agree,the volvo is smoother and quieter.But since I have been in the volvo,Oct 05,it has been towed 3 times,plus an additional 6 day breakdown.Since Dec 98 till the volvo,towed 1 time,3 days for that repair and 1 other 6 hr breakdown.That is truck related,not tires

A friend of mine that works for GHB construction is going to volvo school . They were telling him by 2010 cat will not be able to meet apa standards for road trucks and thier machinery .

2010 is the final year in the current plan to reduce the emissions. Nitrogen oxides (NOx) is the target.

Volvo is ahead of the curve on this as European standards take affect later this year. There is an interesting read at: Diesel Technology Forum: Mack Trucks Inc.

At any rate I am sure CAT will meet the standard when the time comes.