Pitt-Ohio | New Hino Tractor

ltltrkr

TB Veteran
PREMIUM
Credits
I saw a brand new S/A Hino tractor the other day in NJ. I guess you guys are testing one. I also read the article in the news section that they stopped production till end of 2021 in US and Canada over emissions .

Glider kit?.. that would be funny to see . a hino tractor with a '98 detroit seies 60 under hood
No glider. Hino opened a plant in W.Va and Canada to supply the new tractors( Both singles and screws) for sale. Unfortunately their engine didn't meet 2021 emission standards. So they closed it till they can revamp and restart in 9/2021.They had big plans for the US and Canada for tractors.

No glider. Hino opened a plant in W.Va and Canada to supply the new tractors( Both singles and screws) for sale. Unfortunately their engine didn't meet 2021 emission standards. So they closed it till they can revamp and restart in 9/2021.They had big plans for the US and Canada for tractors.

it would have been the single axle version
2020_series_rebuild_xl_lead.jpg

122920-Hino-Manufacturing-Suspension.jpg

I’m not sure how many they bought, or are testing but I know of two, one in Pittsburgh and one in Norristown. I’m not surprised to see them adding single axle tractors to the fleet after several years of buying only tandems, but wouldn’t have guessed they’d be Hino’s. I think they are really looking at cost and probably cringe at the idea of buying a new tractor that can’t be used on both p&d and linehaul. I’ve seen a couple of new single axle Anthems as well.

I’m not sure how many they bought, or are testing but I know of two, one in Pittsburgh and one in Norristown. I’m not surprised to see them adding single axle tractors to the fleet after several years of buying only tandems, but wouldn’t have guessed they’d be Hino’s. I think they are really looking at cost and probably cringe at the idea of buying a new tractor that can’t be used on both p&d and linehaul. I’ve seen a couple of new single axle Anthems as well.
They can probably buy just so many singles that won’t be used in LH. It would be a cost saving and use them in the tighter areas. They will probably sell well in certain parts of the country, the straight trucks sell well. With UD brand (Nissan) ending in North America they will try and push in.
We were supposed to get a few testers at Duie when Hino put it all on hold. They have a better cab and more room than the small single axle freight liners.
The next will be what happens with International as Volkswagen changes them with full ownership.

My terminal serves mostly suburbs and rural areas, so we likely won’t be getting any single axles or 32’ trailers that some terminals have. We do however have 28’x13’ straight trucks, up from 24’x12’6”, as well as a few non-cdl straight trucks. We also have one Sprinter van but I don’t think it gets used every day

My terminal serves mostly suburbs and rural areas, so we likely won’t be getting any single axles or 32’ trailers that some terminals have. We do however have 28’x13’ straight trucks, up from 24’x12’6”, as well as a few non-cdl straight trucks. We also have one Sprinter van but I don’t think it gets used every day
That’s a big straight truck!

I believe they are CDL. I’m not sure but I think we have had these trucks for a couple years. I’m linehaul so my eyes are usually closed when I’m at the terminal though.

These are CDL and the largest of the straight trucks. The “S28” in the unit number stands for straight truck, 28 foot body. The Non-CDLs are HINOs with white cabs and unit numbers beginning with “NS16” for non-CDL, 16 foot body. I’m not sure about the “H” in the unit number for the larger trucks, possibly for “high” because of the height?

I think the “h” is for heat like our ht trailers?
Wow, I can’t believe I never thought of that, but I’m sure you’re right. I don’t know what terminal you’re out of but if you went into Harrisburg up until a few years ago they had what appeared to be a Mack Vision tractor that was converted to a tandem axle straight truck. It was the only time I ever saw an H in the unit number and because it was so large I assumed the H stood for High or Heavy. To my credit, this was before they went nuts buying heated trailers and the H prefix became common.

Gotta wonder if one would be better off in a single axle and pup trailer
I think the idea is to limit the number of single axle tractors as and short trailers and this must be a more cost effective way to achieve 28’ of cargo space. These are also 13’6”, I wrote 13’ up above. They do have a limited number of single axle, 32’ lift gate trailers at certain terminals though.

I’ve been to Harrisburg once unfortunately (layover) 3 or 4 years ago. Only thing I remember was that the yard was tight. For staffing purposes it makes sense to do the big straight trucks as opposed to tractors because not all drivers have class A.