FedEx Freight | New hire questions

New Driver

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello,
Today I interviewed with Fedex Freight, for the driver apprentice position. The manager said that she is going to send my paperwork in and it should take two weeks to a month for the background to come back. How long does it usually take before I would get an actual start date? I have nothing on my record, so I’m not really worried about anything kicking back, but from what I’m reading it can be anywhere from a couple weeks to three months before I actually get to start.
I also have another concern about the health care. I am a brand new driver with no experience, and there almost ever major trucking company in my area, but only a handful offer a training program. I need a no bs answer about the healthcare benefits, compared to projected yearly income. From what I thought you guys were always the best, but I’m honestly not that sure. How is this job in comparison to other companies? I have a wife and kids and I want to make the best decision I can make for my family. Thanks.

Ok New, once your background & references are checked, you'll likely start right away. You will need to get your CLP (permit), and start your HazMat fingerprint based background check. You'll work the dock and do computer based education for a couple weeks, then dock work while you wait for your turn in line with an actual trainer. Your job class seniority will begin the day you start hands on training.

I doubt any other company offers a more thorough course. One on one, start to finish. If you can grasp the concepts/techniques you will be on your way to a pretty good career in a high demand field. If you can't grasp it, there are other jobs within the Company that may be better suited for you. No guarantees you'll make it.

As for insurance, I'll let others go deep into that. Not the best/Not the worse, and it's currently changing. :idunno: I will say few trucking companies (if any) offer better for less, Unless you go with a Union carrier.

Most of those currently pay less. Only one pays more (top rate), but you'll start at less $$/hour. That one is UPS Freight. Better insurance for the money BUT, their contract is in negotiation, so again, no guarantees. Lastly, I don't think any of the above offer real driver training. NOT that I'm aware of, anyway.

You are asking good questions... Keep asking. That is a good sign, IMHO :1036316054:

Thank you for breaking it down for me. It’s seems like a pretty good deal as far as the pay and the training is concerned. When I saw the benefits package it honestly gave me second thoughts. Right now it’s not needed but in the future you never know.
I currently work in the medical field and I’m switching careers. I’ve been spoiled for a long time with free healthcare, no deductibles and no co payments. Needless to say it’s going to be a big change for me. I am looking forward to starting, and learning as much as I can though.
I’ve been doing a lot of research and I applied for McLane, YRC, Estes, XPO, UPS Freight, and ABF. ABF was the only one who didn’t call me. Upsf was only hiring road drivers, and I didn’t like the 15$ an hour starting pay. I was going to start with YRC until I learned about all the issues going on over there. I’ve been layed off once before and I don’t want to have to go through that again. I felt like I needed something more secure. Thanks again for all of the information!

Ok New, once your background & references are checked, you'll likely start right away. You will need to get your CLP (permit), and start your HazMat fingerprint based background check. You'll work the dock and do computer based education for a couple weeks, then dock work while you wait for your turn in line with an actual trainer. Your job class seniority will begin the day you start hands on training.

I doubt any other company offers a more thorough course. One on one, start to finish. If you can grasp the concepts/techniques you will be on your way to a pretty good career in a high demand field. If you can't grasp it, there are other jobs within the Company that may be better suited for you. No guarantees you'll make it.

As for insurance, I'll let others go deep into that. Not the best/Not the worse, and it's currently changing. :idunno: I will say few trucking companies (if any) offer better for less, Unless you go with a Union carrier.

Most of those currently pay less. Only one pays more (top rate), but you'll start at less $$/hour. That one is UPS Freight. Better insurance for the money BUT, their contract is in negotiation, so again, no guarantees. Lastly, I don't think any of the above offer real driver training. NOT that I'm aware of, anyway.

You are asking good questions... Keep asking. That is a good sign, IMHO :1036316054:

If benefits are your top priority, you should jump on what’s left of the Union style benefits. That would be ABF or UPS. Our benefits are good. They used to be great. Our deductibles are too damn high. The premiums are average.
No deductibles? No copays? You were spoiled.....meaning I’m jealous. Those are extremely rare benefits nowadays. But you want a career change. That’s totally understandable. I think Fedex would be a very good choice if you’re truly interested in this industry. You’ll be bottom man for awhile. It’ll be tough.
I’m almost 30 years in with this company. So my perspective is way off on what you will go through as bottom man (read: I forgot). This industry is my career. I started at 19, been with this company (Viking) since I was 21. So I have no career change experience. But I’m sure other folks will chime in on what you will experience.
I think Fedex should be in your top two choices.

If benefits are your top priority, you should jump on what’s left of the Union style benefits. That would be ABF or UPS. Our benefits are good. They used to be great. Our deductibles are too damn high. The premiums are average.
No deductibles? No copays? You were spoiled.....meaning I’m jealous. Those are extremely rare benefits nowadays. But you want a career change. That’s totally understandable. I think Fedex would be a very good choice if you’re truly interested in this industry. You’ll be bottom man for awhile. It’ll be tough.
I’m almost 30 years in with this company. So my perspective is way off on what you will go through as bottom man (read: I forgot). This industry is my career. I started at 19, been with this company (Viking) since I was 21. So I have no career change experience. But I’m sure other folks will chime in on what you will experience.
I think Fedex should be in your top two choices.

Another serious post? You're drinking Mtn. Dew again aren't you?

Since you are changing job fields, keep in mind that you may be working more hours and possibly less predictable start/end times than in the past. (Xtra board and getting cut as last bid due to lack of freight).

It gets better as you accrue more seniority.

Also frequently drivers will say they made $80k, 100k, etc last year but they worked 11+ hour days with no OT versus another profession that made 60k in 40 hrs.

Personal time vs income potentional.

Since you are changing job fields, keep in mind that you may be working more hours and possibly less predictable start/end times than in the past. (Xtra board and getting cut as last bid due to lack of freight).

It gets better as you accrue more seniority.

Also frequently drivers will say they made $80k, 100k, etc last year but they worked 11+ hour days with no OT versus another profession that made 60k in 40 hrs.

Personal time vs income potentional.

yep! 12 hour days at 100k plus may sound good on paper but no social life here. Not to mention the take home is more like 70 : (