Averitt | New Hours of Service changes, does it affect you ?

Iceman

Company Man
Credits
As a Shuttle driver I can't tell that it will affect us much, except for a required 30 minute break. Will it affect our Truckload drivers?

About the only thing it will affect is the 34hr restart..getting back to the yard early saturday morning and leaving out sunday nite are OVER with. Those mandated breaks are going to put a crimp on our delivery times,Cookeville will just HAVE to deal with it.

I know for a fact they have a plan in place, this wasn't unexpected. Keeping the 11 hour rule was a pleasant surprise.

Well the 34 hour rule will help and hurt me. I'm a combo driver and the last month or so been ONLY getting a 34 hour restart. I've been getting in early on my second off and just enough time to reset and leave on Sunday.

With the changes dispatch will have to get me in by Thursday evening so I can get the restart in time to leave on sunday, thus no more running 3400 to 3500 miles a week.

It's going to get to the point where the industry is going to have to rethink how they compensate drivers. The government is making it impossible for pay by mile to be viable...

It's going to get to the point where the industry is going to have to rethink how they compensate drivers. The government is making it impossible for pay by mile to be viable...
Nice thought, but I'd imagine the biggest change you may see is less miles. I understand your point, no driver wants to get less at the end of the week, but common sense tells you it has happened and will continue to happen. In order for the companies to re-think how they compensate drivers, they'll have to re-think how they charge customers, ultimately paying the drivers the same amount for less productivity? More cost to the shippers = more cost to the consumer and on and on. I'd re-think my household budget and not hold my breath for anyone to put the driver anywhere near the top of priorities.

Then it will get to the point where the industry can not attract new drivers...increased driver shortage means they will have to rethink. If shippers can't get trucks to haul their freight then the costs will have to raise for consumers...we have the government to thank for that...

I like the break requirement. I have always taken full advantage of the hour that FMCSA has allotted us (AE's 30 minute break is BS). New drivers are not coming into the industry because of all of these regulations and I cannot say as I blame them. The companies are going to be forced to do it differently but we still have a year or two before this is the case.

I truly cannot wait until I can retire and permanently remove myself from this god awful profession once and for all and watch it go right down the tubes (where is on the fast bath of being).