ABF | New Macks in 042

Dirk_Diggler

TB Lurker
Credits
Has anyone seen the new Macks in 042? I was told that there were four or five in there. Are we going back to them this year? I heard that these ones had more leg room.

Sunday morning there were three makes sitting in the yard. I was told they are to be ran between 042 and 051 only. They are testing these out. Thats what yard sup said.

Man am I glad I retired. More 14's is just what I never need!

Awww come on froggy. The 14s were the pride of the fleet. Bob never had his pic in one of those. I'll bet his head didnt fit.......If these new ones are as comfortable as those 14s, ya know I tried but I just cant say how I really feel on these boards.

it's so funny, when we got the 11000's and everyone liked them, and trucker bob must have seen the responses that we all filled out about how much we all liked them. It took a year and 6 months for them to complete the survey, then he must have rolled over for many sleepless nights. NO MORE VOLVOS! His heart must have been pumping fast as he signed the order for 500 new macks for the 14000 series. That will teach them! No one likes macks compared to volvos!. Then he ended up with 500 crappy macks that couldn't keep a fan belt for an entire trip. And no one had replacements. lol, breakdowns everywhere. And not a replacement belt to be found. Serves him right. And now he wants to try them again because they give him a half dozen to try out for free.

Macks

The Macks in question are evaluation units. All highway Macks have Volvo engines this year. (Volvo owns Mack) The Mack engine had to have too many add ons & more EGR to meet the emission standards. The feedback that I hear is they are doing much better than the 04 units.
From what I hear there will be no order placed on new units until there is an agreement on the contract. There will be only 400 on this order unless business is better than expected in 2008 is the rumor I hear.
I think that Mack had to prove to former customers that they had a better tractor now than the last year or two so they put some in the field.

The Macks in question are evaluation units. All highway Macks have Volvo engines this year. (Volvo owns Mack) The Mack engine had to have too many add ons & more EGR to meet the emission standards. The feedback that I hear is they are doing much better than the 04 units.
From what I hear there will be no order placed on new units until there is an agreement on the contract. There will be only 400 on this order unless business is better than expected in 2008 is the rumor I hear.
I think that Mack had to prove to former customers that they had a better tractor now than the last year or two so they put some in the field.

As long as a MAN can fit in those tractors thats fine. Seems as if the MACK cabs are made for little people. The STERLINGS have plenty of room, but ride like buckboards. I just wish that the company would consider a VOLVO tractor, as we had in 2001. There were objections to those, but that of small significance. (e.g. side visor) Those had the room, comfortable seats, and a reasonably good ride. For the life of me I cannot understand why the company insists on equipment that is basically designed to make the workers comp. department busy. There are drivers who are on the sick board, and forced to retire(you heard it here second) because these sterlings are brutal on the skeleton.
If the company is looking for more productivity, they need to address these real concerns. A good tool brings brilliant results. A cheap tool brings mediocre to poor results.

Who is going to evaluate these units? Will it be some mechanic and a guy with a suit and tie, or will it be the guys who have to endure the so called "highway unit" for 500 miles a day.

When they have their photo opportunity with all the bosses, is the last time they see the inside of these trucks. I challenge any of our "fellow employees" to take just two weeks behind the wheel of some of these "highway units". I am quite certain that there would be some adjustments made. Better seats, about another 18 inches in length on the front springs, and reversion to the softer air ride. (If I am not mistaken the Sterlings are 24,000 rears, and the 10 Macks, and Volvos were 22,000).

You know we have the best damn drivers on planet earth. Why cant we give them the best tools available. "Good enough" is really not good.

macks @ 042 have volvo engines and volvo suspensions. free from mack for our evaluation. macks are lost when they leave the quarry.

goody after you wear them out on the road then you can give them to us in the city. Mack is the worse tractor I have ever driven for ABF in the 21 years I have been with them and I drive a mack every day. I would love to have Bob ride with me for one day on ohio pothole roads and see if his back hurts as bad as mine does

:cuss::furious:
I hate the Mack's on the road! Even the mechanics i talk to hate the Mack. I get pissed every time i see one on my bills! The engineers who design the Mack's cant be over 5' 7" No power hands down the worst truck i ever drove makes total sense we would get them back again. I love the Volvo tractor comfortable seat good ride enough leg room most of the drivers i know like the Volvo. No way we will get the Volvo back. I guess we are lucky we don't have the Mack every year.:maddance3:

u know what i really loved about the 14's, the way u would be cruising down the interstate, then mysteriously start to lose power, only to realize, the damn thing has popped out of gear, AGAIN!!!

Yes, I remember that feeling. Just cruising along and feeling good. Suddenly look down because everyone seems to be passing me, only to find out I am not in gear. Jeez, lets hear it for macks! And they used to be a real work horse? Built like a mack truck was a slogan used for years.

Yes, I remember that feeling. Just cruising along and feeling good. Suddenly look down because everyone seems to be passing me, only to find out I am not in gear. Jeez, lets hear it for macks! And they used to be a real work horse? Built like a mack truck was a slogan used for years.

you mean you didn't get the bungee cord problem solving device?

you mean you didn't get the bungee cord problem solving device?

Hey ain't any of you "Fellow Employees" got a dang phone with a camera on it?

Some pics of these new puppy dogs would be nice!

Hey ain't any of you "Fellow Employees" got a dang phone with a camera on it?

Some pics of these new puppy dogs would be nice!