SAIA | New metro trailer rentals

Moonburn

TB Lurker
Credits
I work at a big hub. Yesterday I noticed old Walmart trailers, turned Metro rental trailers on our yard. They had a small metal insignia with our name, Saia, above the airline connections. Has anyone else seen these at their terminal?

Make sure you pretrip any Metro trailer!! I dont work for Saia but we used Metro a few years ago, I was constantly finding serious defects. Missing springs, bad brakes, busted hubs, 1 that hadn't been inspected in 8 years.

I work at a big hub. Yesterday I noticed old Walmart trailers, turned Metro rental trailers on our yard. They had a small metal insignia with our name, Saia, above the airline connections. Has anyone else seen these at their terminal?
3 possible reasons- Yellow closes down, T-Force or UPS go on strike. Any ltl driver that was around for the last stike it was ugly freight shipments !

3 possible reasons- Yellow closes down, T-Force or UPS go on strike. Any ltl driver that was around for the last stike it was ugly freight shipments !
When you say ugly what do you mean? I work for Estes but most of l.t.l. companies are fairly close in what we do.

When you say ugly what do you mean? I work for Estes but most of l.t.l. companies are fairly close in what we do.
when UPS went on Strike in the late 1990's shipper try to dump as many small shipments on their regular LTL carriers as they could. Yes there was FedEx Ground but they weren't nearly the size they are now.

Changes with Yellow and T-Force will definitely impact us but you think a UPS strike would effect us in LTL? I don't see us picking up parcel volume. Rumor is Fedex is saying they won't be taking UPS customers if they don't switch to them well before a strike.

when UPS went on Strike in the late 1990's shipper try to dump as many small shipments on their regular LTL carriers as they could. Yes there was FedEx Ground but they weren't nearly the size they are now.
I figure all the l.t.l. companies will try to grab as much as possible not really caring about the folks who actually do the work on the docks and trucks. I like my company but i also know im just a number. Thats why when i see other drivers no matter who they work for i respect them for the fact that we are all making sacrifices and at many times very tired driving day or night going thru the same old same old. We are a brother and sisterhood no matter the name on the truck. Nobody who has never been driver would understand our life.

I figure all the l.t.l. companies will try to grab as much as possible not really caring about the folks who actually do the work on the docks and trucks. I like my company but i also know im just a number. Thats why when i see other drivers no matter who they work for i respect them for the fact that we are all making sacrifices and at many times very tired driving day or night going thru the same old same old. We are a brother and sisterhood no matter the name on the truck. Nobody who has never been driver would understand our life.
Thats a very interesting scenario.
The Teamsters called a Master Freight strike, I believe it was 1994, I was working for non-union Overnite at the time. We were overwhelmed by freight from day 1. The brain trust that ran Overnite then, which was owned by Union Pacific RR, in their infinite wisdom they went after new freight and neglected our former shippers. By the third or fourth day the whole system choked up, no empties, no room on the dock, total confusion, nothing moved. About a month later when it was back to "normal" there was a massive drop in shipments, the old customers were pissed and cut way back, the new shippers went back to the Union carriers like nothing happened. There we were with our you know what in our hands. It almost brought the Company to closure; I was told that it was one phone call away and if that investor wouldn't have acted it was over. Took several years but it worked.
My point being, if there is an LTL college course this would be lesson #1.
Hopefully your management took that course...

Thats a very interesting scenario.
The Teamsters called a Master Freight strike, I believe it was 1994, I was working for non-union Overnite at the time. We were overwhelmed by freight from day 1. The brain trust that ran Overnite then, which was owned by Union Pacific RR, in their infinite wisdom they went after new freight and neglected our former shippers. By the third or fourth day the whole system choked up, no empties, no room on the dock, total confusion, nothing moved. About a month later when it was back to "normal" there was a massive drop in shipments, the old customers were pissed and cut way back, the new shippers went back to the Union carriers like nothing happened. There we were with our you know what in our hands. It almost brought the Company to closure; I was told that it was one phone call away and if that investor wouldn't have acted it was over. Took several years but it worked.
My point being, if there is an LTL college course this would be lesson #1.
Hopefully your management took that course...
And where did your #1 leader come from ?

Didn't Saia buy a bunch of pups from ups freight? Whatever happened to them? Were they for road use or storage?
They are on the road. The Saia trailers with the wraps/graphics are the old UPS Freight trailers. There's still some waiting to be converted sitting around my yard but most are in use.

Way too many Metros at IND. Just park them on the drop pad, wtf. Take 5 minutes to organize the yard & save hours in productivity & frustration of employees.

Way too many Metros at IND. Just park them on the drop pad, wtf. Take 5 minutes to organize the yard & save hours in productivity & frustration of employees.
San Antonio been Custer all week with the rental trailers. But then again, I don't have MBA from Georgia Tech.... Just saying