SAIA | New P&D driver

dogman

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi, everyone i'am a new P&D driver starting in Denver next week.I don't know what to expect?Is this job real physical?I did over the road last 2 yrs,line-haul for 7yrs,&food service delivery for 22yrs.Any comments positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is very physical. Typiclt a OTR guy tends to loose 10lbs the first month. Have you Steel toe boos ready. I would recomend buying the Steel Toe sneekers they tend to be more comfortable.

If you have done food service deliveries, you should have an idea of the amount of physical labor. It won't be quite the same level of activity as freight haulers don't fingerprint everything all the time.

Like cstaats said you will need steel toed footwear and you would want to prepare yourself physically.

i started as a city driver with saia after delivering for pepsi. the job was a breeze to me b/c the labor involved was no where near that of pepsi. some days are better than others. there are times you will not even need a pallet jack or hand truck, and other days you will be using them all day. just remember to not get in a hurry and if you feel you cannot or should not do something, DONT DO IT! you will have an occasional residential delivery, and again if you feel you should not take a truck to their house DONT DO IT! all in all i enjoyed it, i just wanted to move on to linehaul b/c it's at night, and it is more money and less work.