SAIA | New pay scale

PistonRing83

TB Veteran
Credits
What is the new pay scale for linehaul now? I know the top-out is 0.60 but what are the starting rate, 6 month and 1 year rates now? I always have people asking about what we pay but now with the raise I have no idea what to tell them.

Starting pay is one of those "varies by region" things.. .54 is starting pay around the cgo region, and it takes 6 months to get up to the full scale of .60.. Tack on another .02 for teams. Anybody know the new "hourly" rate for Linehaul? City?

Is the city top out pay the same for DLS terminal as well?
Top pay in the Dallas region is 24.66 ... It use to be 18 months to top out. But if you started at the 12 month rate you could actually top out in a year. With the driver shortage they have been doing that along with a 3K signing bonus in Dallas. But things may have changed so it would be best to check with HR. But top pay in Dallas is 24.66 + OT after 45 ... How fast you get there would be determined by the terms you agreed to when you came on board.

Last edited:
It's important to remember that all compensation packages will be based on your particular region. Ask a local Saia driver or mechanic and perhaps they may tell you. If your lucky enough to get on here however things will be explained in full at your orientation.

See I wasn't explained the terms as far as "when" the raises will kick in and my trainer at DLS mentioned something about being that I was hired off the street I might not have to wait the full 18 months bc I came on with driving experience. But since Mrs. Chris has been out working in Lubbock all week I couldn't clarify anything until Monday I guess. I can't even order my uniforms it's saying my employee number is invalid still, guess she hasn't put me in over there just yet.

See I wasn't explained the terms as far as "when" the raises will kick in and my trainer at DLS mentioned something about being that I was hired off the street I might not have to wait the full 18 months bc I came on with driving experience. But since Mrs. Chris has been out working in Lubbock all week I couldn't clarify anything until Monday I guess. I can't even order my uniforms it's saying my employee number is invalid still, guess she hasn't put me in over there just yet.
Just try to relax until Monday and you get your ID number. Everyones situation is different ... Everything depends on your experience level as far as pay progression. Everything will be explained next week. Enjoy your weekend and just be happy you have the opportunity to work for one of the best LTL companies in the business. It's not easy getting on here because SAIA has very high standards. Many drivers wish they were in your shoes. You made the cut. Congrats.

Word in Cleveland (our northeasternmost terminal) is that we are expanding into the northeast, starting with PA/NY... But that's mostly just a rumor.

I used to think that Saia would move into the Northeast but not now, too many headaches with the union.
It's probably part of it. But I'm sure Rick doesn't want to mess with our outstanding operation ratio. Expansion plans go straight to the bottom line if you don't have the density of freight to support the expansion. Lots of established carriers in that region. And although SAIA has a superior product it is a tough market to be in. Our niche is in the South. Sometimes bigger isn't better. Just ask YRC.

Yeah but I wonder over the last 3 to 5yrs how many companies have called Saia wanting them to haul there freight and Saia say I'm sorry but we don't haul to NY/Boston or along that coasts just curious

Yeah but I wonder over the last 3 to 5yrs how many companies have called Saia wanting them to haul there freight and Saia say I'm sorry but we don't haul to NY/Boston or along that coasts just curious

I'm pretty sure we would pick up the freight going to the north east and just have a different carrier take it to the delivery point. I see a lot of Canada freight saia picked up and I know we don't go that far north.

I'm pretty sure we would pick up the freight going to the north east and just have a different carrier take it to the delivery point. I see a lot of Canada freight saia picked up and I know we don't go that far north.
We interline with Land Air Express in the northeast. Their Buffalo terminal is listed on the employee Terminal/Meet location tab. And we use Concord in Canada.

We interline with Land Air Express in the northeast. Their Buffalo terminal is listed on the employee Terminal/Meet location tab. And we use Concord in Canada.
And that's good enough for me. My opinion is leave well enough alone. Why mess with a good thing. But that's just me. They could expand next week and I'm sure if they did things would be fine. That's not my call. I drive a truck. I drive it safely and professionally. Our leaders have built this company to be a major player in this industry. Let them do their job and I will do mine. They obviously know what they are doing with the operation ratio being what it is and our CSA score moving up to #4 ... We have some of the best equipment in the business. Even our older equipment is maintained in perfect order. We have a way to go but we are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
Rick O Dell has been saying for a while that we need to expand our existing footprint before anything else. But like you said Train they could expand to the northeast next week. Just gotta go with the flow.