Averitt | new trucks

yoda trainer

TB Lurker
Credits
who is in charge of dolling out new trucks? i always was told that senior drivers recieved the new trucks and new hires got the hand me downs. yet i ran into 3 greenhorns fresh out of a trainers truck driving a 2013 just last week. whats up with that? i've been here 3 years now and i've never had a truck with less than 300k on it!

It's not who you know but who you bl.....! They just were lucky to be in the right place at the right time,,,or from a area that CANNOT keep drivers.
If your happy with what you have keep it.....worry about your weekly miles 1st. Everyone gets "BIG HEADS" about new trucks, they are just new junk. Avrt used to give new rucks to new drivers, just to get them to work for us...those new trucks were soon wrecked, or stained with urine and feces, along with being infested with roaches by those same drivers who became disgruntled and quit. One of the BENEFITS of a older truck is...if you happen to scrape up on something or run it over ...nobody will notice the damage. You get paid for down time after 2 hrs...lots of good money and sack time to be had with a older truck. My current truck 14286 PROSTAR, I received in July after turning down two VOLVO's earlier....broke down twice in the 1st week I had it. This is my LAST truck I will have, when its done in service....I'm done. I told D Broyles this 3 weeks ago at a cookout.....I have had enough, I'm ready to retire!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to clean out my 2013 when I went on medical leave. Six weeks later I am rewarded with a 2008 Volvo and I'm sure somebody straight out of orientation slid right into the one I cleaned out.

But aside from some rattles and minor malfunctions I'm not complaining too much. Right now I'm enjoying the lack of elogs & DEF, and enjoying the 300 gallon fuel capacity.

And nice it doesn't wait forever to drop a gear on a hill and holds ninth until you hit the peak. Not had to use manual yet. 659k on the odometer so don't know how long I can hang on to it.

So you get a new truck. Get a flat, the shop will put some unbalanced tire mounted on a rusty rim on it. My caring for what the truck looks like is null and void. My 13 FL is nasty and as far as I am concerned, can stay like that. I will clean out the little area I sit in and use but other than that, they don't pay me to clean it. They pay me to drive it.