Central Transport | new video

Are hand-held scanners being used or implemented at any of YOUR centers? Right now, there is ZERO accountability for when, where, and who is causing freight damages. I am not implying any one person. There are many things put into motion that cause so many os&d claims. These new scanners may help narrow it down a little but, I doubt that their use will be able to "pin-point" which scanner holder positively caused a claim. Say some guy in Alanta unloads a skid of light bulbs, and finds one ctn crushed, and enters that in his hand-held scanner. He loads skid onto trailer destined for Bimingham. Then, a different Atlanta dockworker drives into Birmingham trailer and say crushes two more ctns of bulbs and does'nt enter THAT into HIS scanner. So now the trailer is in Birmingham and their dockworker dicovers 3 ctns of bulbs are now crushed. How can you hold anyone accountable?

exactly. if only one person is allowed in a trailer, then you can point fingers, but of course that is impractical.

exactly. if only one person is allowed in a trailer, then you can point fingers, but of course that is impractical.

Not exactly true. I have seen a system where you have loaders and unloaders before. Basically freight is stripped from trailers and put to the dock, then one guy will load a run... I have suggested this point before actually.

Take your top guys, who know how to load, assign them say 5 doors apiece. They are responsible for loading those doors and destinations. Other dock workers unload incoming freight behind appropriate door and post the bills in a coop per destinations. This actually has quite a few benefits. First, city trailers are stripped quicker as they are not loading the freight merely putting it on the dock. This frees up doors and negates the need of putting trailers to the yard to have them brought back in again. Second, one guy is loading a trailer. This means he can load the trailer the correct way, the first time. Less damages and will drop a lot of the overweight issues. This of course is just a brief summary.

But hey, what do I know. I am just a dockworker who deals with freight everyday.:TR10driving03::LMAO:

well, if you can make it work, more power to ya! what can i do to help that idea along? then we would have on person to talk to about that ripped up skid, or side damaged from peeling it down the wall like a bumper car.

well, if you can make it work, more power to ya! what can i do to help that idea along? then we would have on person to talk to about that ripped up skid, or side damaged from peeling it down the wall like a bumper car.
I consider that a positive remark.....What can I do to help that idea along? Yep....very positive.

Do yall know what would be really nice? I think that it would be so nice if when, a dock worker who is fixin to move a 7,8, or 12 skid shipment over and he sees like 3skids on the trlr he is transferring it to, he will have the "wherewithall" to pull those 3 skids back and nose up his 12 skid shipment! Wouldnt that be awesome? That a dockworker, say in Nas, memphis or atl, would even think about the guys at the sattelite terminals who are bustin their humps to get city routes loaded by 9? Oh yea, I still see many dockworkers STILL love to stack on "Do Not Double Stack" freight!!! I am putting you on notice! I am watchin you! When I see that crap come in like that, I just whip out my little Samsung tablet a take pics of your handy-work, along with the trlr #!!! We are getting closer to finding out WHO THESE CULPRITS ARE! THE ROUGH HANDLING OF OUR CUSTOMERS FREIGHT MUST STOP! It will stop when these few "culprits are lining up to recieve Obam's 99 weeks of unemployment compensation!!!

we have a driver who had one skid in the nose and filled the rest of his trailer with freight that was going to one place. they had to strip the entire trailer to get that one skid out.

We have in the past, had drivers too lazy to evenkeep their pallet jacks pulled to the rear of trlr and as they made their pickups, gradually coverd them up. So, we gradually sent their pallet jacks of to the break-bulks.

We have in the past, had drivers too lazy to evenkeep their pallet jacks pulled to the rear of trlr and as they made their pickups, gradually coverd them up. So, we gradually sent their pallet jacks of to the break-bulks.
I pull mine off everyday and lock it up....Because if I don't the dock will run over it like they have before and bent my handle...Or someone will take it and say they didn't know it was mine......It only has my name all over it. I guess they can't read.

I pull mine off everyday and lock it up....Because if I don't the dock will run over it like they have before and bent my handle...Or someone will take it and say they didn't know it was mine......It only has my name all over it. I guess they can't read.

no no no, it is that they can't read, they just don't care. if you lock them up at my place, someone will cut the lock off and send it out saying "you didn't buy it, you don't own it" and you know it goes to the worst equipment treating driver

no no no, it is that they can't read, they just don't care. if you lock them up at my place, someone will cut the lock off and send it out saying "you didn't buy it, you don't own it" and you know it goes to the worst equipment treating driver
I bought my own for 50 dollars at a local pawn shop....And if someone cuts the lock they will face severe consequences. Many guy's have bought their own for the very reason you mention. It's was well worth it for me....And of course if the Train is forced to leave Vitran for whatever reason it will be loaded in the back of my pickup as I head to the house.

Last edited by a moderator: