FedEx Freight | new volvo engines

roundabout

TB Lurker
Credits
hey wanted to see if anybody is driving a new truck with a Volvo engine. We have one in LUG, It has a 435 hp engine. Cat fish who runs our Atl turn says it pulls and runs good. :USA:

Are you sure about the horsepower? The old red ones have 430 cummins,I know the new tractors have a bigger engine that is actually a 500/Thats what my 6ooo series KW has in it.The transmission not being a super ten makes a differencre also.Im surprised they would buy anything but Cummins after all these years.

fastmover said:
Are you sure about the horsepower? The old red ones have 430 cummins,I know the new tractors have a bigger engine that is actually a 500/Thats what my 6ooo series KW has in it.The transmission not being a super ten makes a differencre also.Im surprised they would buy anything but Cummins after all these years.

All the "old red volvo's" I've ever seen have the itty bitty
M-11 Cummins, which is a 330 hp motor, or feels like a 230 hp motor...

365Volare said:
All the "old red volvo's" I've ever seen have the itty bitty
M-11 Cummins, which is a 330 hp motor, or feels like a 230 hp motor...
guys remember where you work?doesn't matter how many donkeys under the hood fx will tune them down and put half the donkeys to sleep:police:

14wheeler said:
guys remember where you work?doesn't matter how many donkeys under the hood fx will tune them down and put half the donkeys to sleep:police:

Very true. I believe the M-11's are rated 330-375. But like you said, its probably set at 230.... :loser:

We have a few KWs here in KCY with Caterpillar C12s and they are the absolute slowest trucks in the fleet. Red Volvos will put these to shame uphill! lol

roog

roogie said:
We have a few KWs here in KCY with Caterpillar C12s and they are the absolute slowest trucks in the fleet. Red Volvos will put these to shame uphill! lol

roog
Fortunitely, the new KW's with Cats have C-15 power. AND 10 speed Eaton tranny... I hope they will not buy any more Auto/Ultra-Shifts...I have seen way too many drivers stranded because of the Auto's.

fastmover said:
I guess I am off by 100 horse! So are the new units 400hp or 500?
These new computer controlled engines have an advertised hp rating on the plate on the engine, It usually reads "ADV"....BUT that is irrellevant... They will be set by FXF for whatever HP and RPM they choose. What I really like about having a 15 liter engine, such as my current Cummins is that the engine brake works really good compared to the 12.7 or whatever liter Cats we have already. Aren't we all glad that we got away from the M-11 crap.

:moped: :TR10driving03: :woohoo1: we have the same volvo engine in all of our 05 and up tractors over here at saia 435 is what it says on the plate all aluninum block and heads they say they got them to pull triples out west they really pull great 65 up hill 65 down hill unless you put it in NEUTRAL it took us about a year to get all the bugs worked out of them

Roundabout said:
hey wanted to see if anybody is driving a new truck with a Volvo engine. We have one in LUG, It has a 435 hp engine. Cat fish who runs our Atl turn says it pulls and runs good. :USA:
I got one of the two sent to GBO does run an pull good. one of mech, at shop was asking how it does I told him ok then he told me that the reason he asked was the volvo motors just say the 435hp puts 435hp to the ground I guess the old red racers set at 330 to375 peremiter with the super 10 lost hp I am not a mech.you can only set cruze at 65 thats it,little better holding peddel on floor,Jake isn't that great but I'm very happy.

You'll always lose HP through the drivetrain, it's part of the process of converting kinetic energy from one rotating direction to another (ie: from front to back down the drive shaft to the left and right, out from the center differential to the axles).

Most of the time the estimates are about 15% is lost through this transfer.

roog

I heard the new freitshakers have the MERCEDES ENGINE and that the guys runnin them love them, MERCEDES is a proven dependable engine over in EUROPE according too everything ive read about them.

The new Freightliners do have Mercedes power, although I'm not sure which one.

My parents have a 24' Winnebago that is Mercedes powered, a 5 cylinder 2.7L diesel and my Dad raves about this little engine. It pulls their Scion behind it without a hitch, he loves it.

roog

We are running Mercedes motors in our Freightliners, we are told that they are basically a Detroit Diesel engine.