Holland | Newbie Info

ihatefordtrucks

TB Lurker
Credits
Can anyone tell me, will Holland hire a driver with convictions of:
68/55 in past year;
and 53/35, seat belt (non-moving), and unsafe commercial vehicle (non-moving), in past two years. 1 suspension and 1 at fault accident over 7 years ago.

What are the ups and downs, perks, etc.. of this company. I don't want to commit to this (if they will hire me), if it is not a good company to work for. Also, what is the union all about, (ups & downs??). I don't really know anything about the union. I would be hiring for a city driver or combo dock/city. Also, I know it sounds petty, but are they good on maintaining air conditioning in the trucks? Thanks all for the advice.:smilie_132:

Since it is slow now. I would say they would not hire you with that record. Just my 2 cents though.
Can anyone tell me, will Holland hire a driver with convictions of:
68/55 in past year;
and 53/35, seat belt (non-moving), and unsafe commercial vehicle (non-moving), in past two years. 1 suspension and 1 at fault accident over 7 years ago.

Just make sure that you write down on your application all of your violations. If you don’t they will consider it as lying or hiding the truth, it is best to be honest. That way you won’t waist you’re time or theirs. Just my thoughts, good luck Stimpy

Wow!! Some bad luck there in a short period of time. The only thing you can do is put your application in and see what happens. As far as your other questions, you will need to make your own judgements if you are hired, as what some people see as good, others will not agree. Your best bet is to talk to one of the city drivers at the terminal you want to work at, as a good terminal manager can make a big difference in his drivers attitude.
Good Luck!!

In the over all skeme of things I would go teamster or bust just my 2 cents.... Oh yea one more thing, definately be honest on your app. Just some friendly advice. Good luck....

I had never worked union either, I thought I knew union workers from the food and auto plants that I had been to. I was pleasantly surprised by the group of hard working teamsters we have, at this terminal anyway.
There has been a hit to morale lately but in reality, from talking to guys from the other barns, this is one of the best companies to work for.
A couple of years ago you wouldn't have a chance with that record but now they need drivers (well maybe not this minute but in a month or two) And I think they only ask/check for the last 7 years, It's not clear in your post whether the 53/35 and seatbelt was over 7 years ago or not.
If you come to the city you need to be prepared to be on call with a 1 hour notice to get to work, could be a couple of years doing that before you could hold a bid start time, most likely afternoon dock will be the first bid you could hold. Although they didn't fill the dock bids last time so even the bottom guy could have gotten a start time.(silly people)

I had never worked union either, I thought I knew union workers from the food and auto plants that I had been to. I was pleasantly surprised by the group of hard working teamsters we have, at this terminal anyway.
There has been a hit to morale lately but in reality, from talking to guys from the other barns, this is one of the best companies to work for.
A couple of years ago you wouldn't have a chance with that record but now they need drivers (well maybe not this minute but in a month or two) And I think they only ask/check for the last 7 years, It's not clear in your post whether the 53/35 and seatbelt was over 7 years ago or not.
If you come to the city you need to be prepared to be on call with a 1 hour notice to get to work, could be a couple of years doing that before you could hold a bid start time, most likely afternoon dock will be the first bid you could hold. Although they didn't fill the dock bids last time so even the bottom guy could have gotten a start time.(silly people)

We get two-hour call in notice at our local, and it is in the contract.
:smilie_132:

Our line haul get a two hour notice but they only want to give city men 1 hour. Although they hired a couple of guys that are about an hours drive away and they had to bring out the wording that the time must be "reasonable" and since they hired them knowing how far they are from the terminal they had to back off. That was a favorite tactic of some, call at the absolute last minute.