Newspaper Article Oct 30

foster1662

TB Lurker
Credits
Last updated October 30, 2008 11:42 p.m. PT

Strike at trucking company near 7th week and counting
By DAN RICHMAN
P-I REPORTER

A strike by hundreds of workers at Auburn-based Oak Harbor Freight Lines Inc. will enter its seventh week Tuesday with no resolution in sight, spokespeople for the company and the Teamsters union said.

"I like to be optimistic, but I don't see an end to this," said Al Hobart, vice president of the western region of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which represents all the striking workers through 12 locals.

"I don't think the company is serious about doing something. They're just trying to wear the union down, period."

Company spokesman Mike Hobby said, "It's really not up to us whether there's an end in sight," but he said the two sides are continuing to negotiate.

"The Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service has been involved since June, and we're working toward another meeting Nov. 7," he said.

Troubles at the family-owned trucking business, which serves the five westernmost states, began Sept. 22, when 40 percent of the employees -- 578 drivers, dock workers, office workers and mechanics -- walked off the job. Since then, 177 have returned to work, Hobby said.

The striking workers staffed all 10 of the company's terminals in Washington state, its single terminal in Boise and the four unionized terminals in Oregon, where the company maintains a total of eight terminals. All those terminals are operating but are being picketed. Some nonunion company facilities also are being picketed, Hobart said.

The union struck over the company's alleged unfair labor practices. Hobart said those consisted of "intimidating and influencing" workers to accept the terms of a new contract to replace the one that expired in September 2007 but under which the company and its workers are still operating.

Contract issues in dispute include the possible termination of health care benefits to retired employees and the possible reduction or elimination of paid sick leave, Hobart said. Hobby described the central issue as whether the Teamsters are willing to join the company's health insurance plan.

Hobart said he expects rulings soon from the National Labor Relations Board on the alleged unfair labor practices. He said if the rulings favor the union, the company will have to rehire the striking workers, whom it has replaced with workers through Modern Staffing & Security Consultants Inc., of Sarasota, Fla.

The strike caused the company's revenue to drop to 40 percent of its usual level during its first week, Hobby said. That has since grown to 60 percent.

"Most companies under these conditions would be shut down by now," he said.

Oak Harbor Freight Lines is run by co-Presidents David and Edward Vander Pol, who took over from their father, Henry, himself one of three brothers who bought the company in 1936.

The company has annual revenue of more than $150 million, according to its Web site.

Here is another article for you too.

MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 30 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Teamsters, United Students Against Sweatshops and Jobs with Justice are informing the public about Gap's support of labor abuses by passing out fliers at singer Matt White's "Vote for Love" concerts. The concert series, sponsored by Gap, started in Minneapolis last night and has become a focus of labor rights activists.

More than 600 workers at Auburn, Washington-based Oak Harbor Freight Lines, the company that delivers Gap merchandise, were forced to go on strike on Sept. 22 in response to violations of federal labor laws that protect workers' rights. The company then unilaterally stopped paying for health care benefits for current workers and retirees.

"It is ironic that Gap would sponsor a 'Vote for Love' tour, but is unwilling to show any love toward these American workers, including many whom are grandparents now without health care," said Rod Palmquist, National Organizer for United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS). "Unlike the Gap, other Oak Harbor retailer customers such as REI and Urban Outfitters have dropped the company in support of these workers."

White wrote "Songs of Freedom" for Gap's "Vote For_____." campaign, a song about the individuals who stood throughout history provoking thoughts and questions about established norms. "White's song is a contradiction of what Gap is doing with Oak Harbor," said Jenn Doe, organizer at Boston Jobs with Justice. "Workers are singing songs of abuse and exploitation while Gap sings all the way to the bank."

In addition to the loss of health care coverage for retirees, Oak Harbor wants to cut paid sick leave for employees, reduce pension benefits and prohibit union representatives from talking to workers at the workplace. The freight company also has created a special "Gap" rule that would deny overtime pay for weekend work on Gap business.

The Teamsters, USAS and Jobs with Justice plan on continuing to take their message to the remaining cities of White's "Vote for Love" tour.

"We will continue to take our message to the Gap until it stops supporting Oak Harbor's abuses. Oak Harbor should be willing to negotiate with our workers in good faith and allow for a dignified retirement," said Tyson Johnson, Teamsters International Vice President and Freight Division Director.

Actually in this case the media did not contradict themselves, as "they" are only responsible for the first article. The article in the PI is a story written by an employee employed and paid by a recognized member of the national media. The "article" on Newswire isn't an article at all, but rather a press release written and put out by the Teamsters. Newswire, like MarketWatch, is simply an avenue through which businesses and organizations can publish their press releases for a fee.
Heck, I could write a press release that states that "ConWay just attacked Iraqi villages with midgets dressed up like Strawberry Shortcake" and get Newswire to put that on the web. For a fee, of course.

I do not believe I addressed the validity of the press release, I simply responded to the label of it being an "article".

Granted you may have taken something from my example of the Iraqi attacking strawberry shortcake loving midgets, however I was simply indicating that a press release on Newswire or MarketWatch does not have the same journalistic scrutiny or libel and defamation implications as would an article in a major newspaper.

In short, they (Newswire, MarketWatch, etc.) will print anything for a fee.

A year long labor dispute south of Seattle has mushroomed into a struggle of national significance.

And it’s not about Boeing.

Teamsters Local 174 last month went on strike against Auburn-based Oak Harbor Freight Lines Inc. in a dispute over alleged company violations of federal labor laws, which union leaders say has national implications.

The union and the company have been wrangling since Oct. 31, 2007, about a series of unresolved pay and benefit issues. But union leaders say the key reason workers walked off the job Sept. 22 is that Oak Harbor had been negotiating directly with workers instead of through the union, among other violations of labor law.

This is an article posted in the Puget Sound Business Journal 10/24/08

bosses_beware_bw.jpg

every other union carrier needs to see what Oak gets away with. You might be next.

Please everyone stand strong. ABF, Yellow/Roadway and Reddeway are still standing with us.