Oh. My. Gosh!!! You guys do this all day every day???

wiggletrain

TB Lurker
Credits
First solo run down. 14 stops, almost 1000 cases. and 4 freaking hours behind. I'm sore. I'm tired. Yet I'm feeling oddly invogorated. Had to be bailed out. Odd to be the one that needed help, but thankful for the help!

I am going to love this, just not so much the days like today. Barely room to move in my trailer even after unloading half of it. Loaders put cases inbetween and around and on every board; and wherever else they could hide the ****.

I have been assurred that every new guy goes through this day. It was said by the higher-ups that I have the right additude.

Yep, after an almost 17 hour day I was still smiling and joking. And to the few pissed off people I delivered to today... Lighten up, for Christ's sake. It's just food!

Wish I had taken a picture of the mess my trailer started with and how it unfolded... But who has the time to take a picture?

Your right WT, we all went through it, 4 hrs behind is about right, it will pass though, it just takes time, I know you won't give up but most people, especially the ones that have never thrown groceries get washed out in that first few weeks to a month or two, it takes patience. However when it clicks, it will feel really good, and it will click.

Shuttle

Well its official, unless they take the bid down again, I'm a shuttle boy, the Steward bid for me, I sent him a text last night, they canceled me monday, tues was normal day off, today I got a doctors appt, so the router helped me out with the day off, I didn't wanna drive 18 miles to work just to sign my name, its gonna be a hard transition but I'm looking forward to the change! :)

First solo run down. 14 stops, almost 1000 cases. and 4 freaking hours behind.

I had 900 cases 11 stops Monday, was 40 min ahead, 800 cases 16 stops Tuesday and was an hour behind, the loading wasn't too bad, it was the routing. There are lots of factors that can get you ahead or behind. I hate Tuesdays for this reason, except when I'm at Macarthur's Bakery of course.

And to the few pissed off people I delivered to today... Lighten up, for Christ's sake. It's just food!

A couple of things to remember about the kitchen folk, most are nice, but the fancier the restaurant, the more the chef looks like he's wearing pajamas, and some of them can be real prima donnas, it's their boat and you're rockin' it. Some of them work in kitchens because it's one of the few places left that don't require a drug screen.

Wish I had taken a picture of the mess my trailer started with and how it unfolded... But who has the time to take a picture?

The pictures on the scanner can take a couple of days to get back to the management. The night warehouse supervisor gives out his cell phone number, if it is too screwed up, he wants us to text him the pictures.

First solo run down. 14 stops, almost 1000 cases. and 4 freaking hours behind. I'm sore. I'm tired. Yet I'm feeling oddly invogorated. Had to be bailed out. Odd to be the one that needed help, but thankful for the help!

It gets better over time. And I see your not playing with a full deck like the rest of us, LOL. Welcome to the club.

I am going to love this, just not so much the days like today.

Yup, missing a few cards, like the rest of us nuts, lol

Barely room to move in my trailer even after unloading half of it. Loaders put cases inbetween and around and on every board; and wherever else they could hide the ****.

I have come to the conclusion this is industry standard. Let's see how bad we can screw the driver, lol

I have been assurred that every new guy goes through this day.

But most quit after a day like that. You got a positive outlook.

It was said by the higher-ups that I have the right additude.

I have been doing this type of work for over ten years. Seen many come and go. I have to agree with your higher-ups.

And to the few pissed off people I delivered to today... Lighten up, for Christ's sake. It's just food!

LOL, ain't that the truth.

grocerythrower said:
I'm a shuttle boy

Good luck. You earned it.

When I first started I never got behind. When your the best you just never get behind. LOL I usually ran right on time at first but as weeks went on I got faster on the route and would get done earlier. Now you got the crappy day under your belt just give it time you will get faster. You have a good attitude so keep it up. 15 stop route in my future? Possibly

Yeah right, MM... never behind? You must be a god!

OH, the damn scanner. To make my day more interesting, my scanner kept going down. SO I ended up counting and double checking.

Today was almost 700 cases and only 11 stops. I did okay until halfway through, then got behind. I don't have the skills yet to catch up.

Was told tonight to bring a bag tomorrow. They don't think I'll make it back. My run tomorrow is to Seaside (Oregon Coast) and apparently with the weather and holiday it is blowing up... WooHoo! Laying over tomorrow...

Oh, and to add to the bruises on my arms and legs, I gave myself a black eye: hit myself in the eye with a milk crate as I threw it on my shoulder to carry it somewhere.

And still looking forward to what each day brings... :)

And Double r... Nice!

Yeah, nuts, I've been accused of that.

Funny, I went to the foodshow at our yard the day after my day from he!!, and heard so many times from the other drivers "you didn't quit??" There were even a few that were mad that I was given a run like that for my first out. Part of me thinks they were trying to see if they could break me. I keep telling them I'm too dumb to give up...

Ted, that's what one of the guys that helped bail me out said "6 weeks or 6 years, a day can blow up on anyone at any time!"

Goodnight... my three hours of sleep is calling me, lol!

If I ever meet a loader in a bar I may just end up in jail for murder!

Oh yeah? Well..I moved like 12 skids with a forklift today....Who's the hard worker now?

Seriously though, I don't know how you guys do it.

We are all made of awesome, and a big sprinkling of bad ass..LOL!!!

GT - you are so not kidding! LOL! I have a huge amount of respect for Sysco drivers. And they say I'm as nuts as the rest of them because I keep coming back...

I've got a big route tomorrow... wish me luck!

I'll be dreaming of being a shuttle driver!

Last Friday one of our shuttle drivers brought some trailers in, then ran a route, then had to finish shuttling his trailers.

Last Friday one of our shuttle drivers brought some trailers in, then ran a route, then had to finish shuttling his trailers.

We are subject to doing that also, its not common but it does happen, I wouldn't mind, unless it was friday, then I would throw a hissy fit!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Bro, I don't understand.

Sorry GT, Spare-ing is being a casual, you know day to day , not on the seniority list. When I started out , it was very hard to make a seniority list, the general rule being you needed 96 hours in a thirty day period to make a seniority list.Most companies would shut you off in your fourth week. Thus you had to work a few companies, juggling to make a weeks pay.Usually back then the pay rate was the same as the list rate too.

Sorry GT, Spare-ing is being a casual, you know day to day , not on the seniority list. When I started out , it was very hard to make a seniority list, the general rule being you needed 96 hours in a thirty day period to make a seniority list.Most companies would shut you off in your fourth week. Thus you had to work a few companies, juggling to make a weeks pay.Usually back then the pay rate was the same as the list rate too.

Thanks Kevin, I had never heard that word, back then it had to be pretty frustrating, that would be hard to do today, everybody seems to be full time but on the extra list, when they call they expect you to be there, no saying, "you ain't called in 6 days I'm at my other job" "well ok, so long then".