Yellow | Ok, I can't figure it out!!

TiredDvrsWife

TB Veteran
Credits
I've been reading but not quite understanding the difference between your usual runs/delivery system/etc. and Velocity?

And no, I'm not versed in the Teamsters and all of the ins/outs of the way they work. My dad was Teamster years ago but I was too young to understand. I've had family members that are/were Union but I don't sit and ask details.

Even at my grand ol' age of being a granny, I don't mind learning NEW things and hearing the other side of the coin, so to speak.

So anyone up to filling me in? Thanks! :1036316054:

Velocity is "Yellow-ese" for, "it's ten years later and we're still trying to learn how to move regional freight"...

I'll try to help you

I've been reading but not quite understanding the difference between your usual runs/delivery system/etc. and Velocity?

And no, I'm not versed in the Teamsters and all of the ins/outs of the way they work. My dad was Teamster years ago but I was too young to understand. I've had family members that are/were Union but I don't sit and ask details.

Even at my grand ol' age of being a granny, I don't mind learning NEW things and hearing the other side of the coin, so to speak.

So anyone up to filling me in? Thanks! :1036316054:
We have velocity which to me is just a change of wording on something I have been doing for seven years with Yellow which is linehaul but customer critical. We have a Utility Employee (UE) who does cartage, yard and dock work (I think Conway has some sort of employee that does this type of work) and we have a normal city/cartage driver...and there are specifics for each one but this may help you a bit (I hope).

Ok, I understand the pick up/delivery guy during the day. Some of the larger barns have dockworkers, husband's doesn't but when he gets in he's at the end of his 14 hour shift and can't work dock legally. I know at night he hurries (laughing here because his truck won't do over 62mph!!) to get to the FAC barn where everyone gets together, unloads and reloads freight and then gets out when just enough time to spare to get home. I know he does do dock work up there.

Your terminology threw me off a little bit!

He can work the dock legally at the end of his 14hr shift, infact he can work that dock until his 70hrs is depleted. However, he cannot drive after his 14hr until he completes a 10hr DOT break.

He drives 5 hours, then works dock about 3 hours or so then drives back in 5 hours. I think there's hook up time in there along with fueling because he's maxes out his 14 hours pretty much every day. Makes for a tired driver :1036316054:

Set @ 62mph

Ok, I understand the pick up/delivery guy during the day. Some of the larger barns have dockworkers, husband's doesn't but when he gets in he's at the end of his 14 hour shift and can't work dock legally. I know at night he hurries (laughing here because his truck won't do over 62mph!!) to get to the FAC barn where everyone gets together, unloads and reloads freight and then gets out when just enough time to spare to get home. I know he does do dock work up there.

Your terminology threw me off a little bit!

:biglaugh:FYI a big % of yrc trucks are set @ 62mph.USF is the acception!
USF units are set above 65mph.

He can work the dock legally at the end of his 14hr shift, infact he can work that dock until his 70hrs is depleted. However, he cannot drive after his 14hr until he completes a 10hr DOT break.

But to start his next shift, he must be back under the hours of service rule , and those dock hours count towards that. He must also have enough hours left to cover his bid, (counting those extra dock hours) if he has a bid; besides the 10 hours off to drive.

So to work a bid, working 14 hours plus lunch, plus the 10 hours off is impossible, for you'd only be off 9 1/2. For example-- 8pm-4:30 am, Sun- Thurs. Work 14 on a Sunday night gets you off at 10:30am Monday morning. Only 9 1/2 hours left until 8pm again. Couldn't cover your bid.

:biglaugh:FYI a big % of yrc trucks are set @ 62mph.USF is the acception!
USF units are set above 65mph.
Which USF trucks are over 65. I was at 64 until They cut the Holland fleet back to 62. I'll file a grievance, by God!!!! I cant pass a Yellow or Roadway unless I got about 10 miles of pavement and a big hill to climb. Swift and JB blow by me like i'm up on blocks now-a-days!

He can work the dock (or any other non-driving job) well beyond his 70 hours (assuming the company doesn't have a rule against it). He just cannot legally DRIVE if he has over 70 in 8 (or 60 in 7 where that applies).

He drives 5 hours, then works dock about 3 hours or so then drives back in 5 hours. I think there's hook up time in there along with fueling because he's maxes out his 14 hours pretty much every day. Makes for a tired driver :1036316054:

A tired driver bringing home a fat paycheck is much better than a cranky driver waiting on the phone. Remedy for a tired driver is a nice meal,
(I'm not picky, nothing special, I can warm it up in the microwave) rub my shoulders a little and put me to bed. Nighters.

As I've told before (not here) but he gets home to lay on the bed, with his snacks and I've taped his favorite shows the night before. Remote ready to go.
Then at night I wake him, bring him his food so he eats in bed, lay out his clothes and have everything ready for him to walk out the door. Sometimes I drive him to/from work. :1036316054:

A tired driver bringing home a fat paycheck is much better than a cranky driver waiting on the phone. Remedy for a tired driver is a nice meal,
(I'm not picky, nothing special, I can warm it up in the microwave) rub my shoulders a little and put me to bed. Nighters.