ODFL | Old Dominion Makes Iteris Lane Departure Warning Technology Standard Equipment...

DirtyRice

TB Lurker
Credits
Old Dominion Makes Iteris Lane Departure Warning Technology Standard Equipment on National Truck Fleet; Carrier Becomes Largest Fleet to Install Iteris Safety Technology

ANAHEIM, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 9, 2006--Iteris, Inc. (AMEX:ITI), a leader in vision-based technologies and Intelligent Transportation Systems that optimize traffic flow and enhance driver safety, today announced that Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc., a leading less-than-truckload (LTL) super regional carrier, will install Iteris' Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system in 1200 tractors in its existing fleet of over 4,400 with plans to make LDW part of their standard specification on all new truck purchases in the future. Old Dominion is the 10th largest LTL carrier in the country, according to the most recent published Transport Topics Top 100 list.

Old Dominion will begin deployment of the Iteris LDW system in August 2006 and expects to have the trucks fully outfitted within six months. The LDW systems will be installed at 10 of Old Dominion's 178 service center facilities located across the country.

"Installing the Lane Departure Warning system in our fleet of trucks gives us the ability to be proactive instead of reactive," said Brian Stoddard, vice president of safety and personnel for Old Dominion. "With safety remaining a top priority for our company, we are confident the decision to install this technology will prove to be an effective means of preventing accidents."

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060809005302&newsLang=en

Maybe

Maybe you could set it to play a tune instead.How about a little Lynyrd Skynyrd ?If it saves one life,its worth it all.

They started installing them on all trucks including team trucks when they come in for service. This should make getting good rest in a team truck even harder. Maybe they should get us seeing eye dogs too.

Skywalker said:
Been riding around with one of these things and it can be annoying in the constuction zones,sounds like a woodpecker trying to get through the cab.

The ones I have heard about can be disabled for about 15 min at a time...which would be good for constuction zones....not sure about yours though.

Beeman said:
They started installing them on all trucks including team trucks when they come in for service. This should make getting good rest in a team truck even harder. Maybe they should get us seeing eye dogs too.

I guess the point of having them is "only one of you is supposed to be resting"...LOL

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
I guess the point of having them is "only one of you is supposed to be resting"...LOL

Unfortunately the sleeper isn't much of a soundproof booth. Every time the buzzer goes off it sure won't make it easy to rest. Maybe they should hook it to a dog shock collar.

Everyone knows truckdrivers are never sleep deprived. I guess it's to eliminate tire wear from weaving.