Yellow | Older drivers found to be a Danger on the nation's highways.

Kinda have to agree here to a point ,as have seen some really old driver's that can barley walk , and why do truck stops have handicap semi parking ?? How can they drive if Handicapped ?? and this is what they want is to keep you driving forever ,thanks to CSPF going broke !!

Kinda have to agree here to a point ,as have seen some really old driver's that can barley walk , and why do truck stops have handicap semi parking ?? How can they drive if Handicapped ?? and this is what they want is to keep you driving forever ,thanks to CSPF going broke !!
If you are content with your truck driving job wong, then start planning your own individual retirement. Good paying jobs in this country, that don't require more then a high school education, are becoming a thing of our past.

Last edited:
The problem is they are comparing old drivers to young ones, which they claim are nonexistent but yet somehow still have statistics for. Of course older drivers are in more accidents. We are the ones still driving all the trucks. It's like saying more men wreck trucks than woman. Of course we do. There's more of us driving.

The first sentence of the article makes no sense. 48,000 drivers to move 70 percent of the freight in this country? Last I knew, there were over 2 million truck drivers in this business.Maybe they should have interviewed some of the 70 plus year old drivers and ask them why they still drive? I would bet a big percentage would say they had little or no pension benefits for years, and cannot live on SS alone. And many more would say they never made enough during their younger days to save money for retirement since wages in the last 20 or so years, especially in the truckload segment, have been stagnant at best. And yes, there is a percentage out there that I believe, are the last of their family, and have no reason to go home, so they keep working because they enjoy it....

The first sentence of the article makes no sense. 48,000 drivers to move 70 percent of the freight in this country? Last I knew, there were over 2 million truck drivers in this business.Maybe they should have interviewed some of the 70 plus year old drivers and ask them why they still drive? I would bet a big percentage would say they had little or no pension benefits for years, and cannot live on SS alone. And many more would say they never made enough during their younger days to save money for retirement since wages in the last 20 or so years, especially in the truckload segment, have been stagnant at best. And yes, there is a percentage out there that I believe, are the last of their family, and have no reason to go home, so they keep working because they enjoy it....
That and where did they come up with only 70% of the freight hits a truck? I'd say 100%.

I'm dangerous going to work! Slow lane . I do 55 on a 70 mph hwy. Really 85. Give em 70 they take 15 more. But I only drive slow to work. No hurry to get there.
:smilie93c peelout:
This is what it looks like leaving the lot!

We have 2 city drivers that are 72. By law they have to collect their pension, ss benefits, and any other retirement they have coming to them. And they both work 60 hour weeks. You cant take it with you guys!

We have 2 city drivers that are 72. By law they have to collect their pension, ss benefits, and any other retirement they have coming to them. And they both work 60 hour weeks. You cant take it with you guys!

Let them alone. I have seen too many die within 6 months of retiring. Many have no hobbies and nothing else beside their job.

Let them alone. I have seen too many die within 6 months of retiring. Many have no hobbies and nothing else beside their job.
I agree totally. But I also think that is sad. Working 60 hours per week while getting over 4 or 5 grand in the mail. Find a hobby, enjoy whats left of your life, dont die working. You see these stories of guys in their 80's saying "I've been driving truck for 60 years!" Not impressed pal. Feel bad for you.

I agree totally. But I also think that is sad. Working 60 hours per week while getting over 4 or 5 grand in the mail. Find a hobby, enjoy whats left of your life, dont die working. You see these stories of guys in their 80's saying "I've been driving truck for 60 years!" Not impressed pal. Feel bad for you.

Yrc-atm, don't you think it's possible that some people actually enjoy their jobs? P&D driver might have built up friendships with folks at the accounts he serves and he enjoys the daily contact with those folks. A road driver might enjoy the ride and scenery and solitude of the trip. A dock man might enjoy the daily camaraderie with the other guys on the dock. A shop mechanic might get personal satisfaction in solving a mechanical problem with some equipment. In spite of the comments on here by some, not everyone hates their job. Just saying. Try keeping an open mind.

Yrc-atm, don't you think it's possible that some people actually enjoy their jobs? P&D driver might have built up friendships with folks at the accounts he serves and he enjoys the daily contact with those folks. A road driver might enjoy the ride and scenery and solitude of the trip. A dock man might enjoy the daily camaraderie with the other guys on the dock. A shop mechanic might get personal satisfaction in solving a mechanical problem with some equipment. In spite of the comments on here by some, not everyone hates their job. Just saying. Try keeping an open mind.
Never said anything about anyone hating anything.