TForce | On call for Monday Jan 4, 2010

Gater

TB Regular
Credits
We were all called today and were told that we all would be on call for Monday January 4th. How many of you were told the same thing? Being that you have to work the day before and the day after the holiday to get paid. I wonder if they are trying to find a way to not pay some of us for the holiday? Or they don't expect us to have much to deliver on Monday. I know that we have a good amount of pick-ups to do on Monday.

We were all called today and were told that we all would be on call for Monday January 4th. How many of you were told the same thing? Being that you have to work the day before and the day after the holiday to get paid. I wonder if they are trying to find a way to not pay some of us for the holiday? Or they don't expect us to have much to deliver on Monday. I know that we have a good amount of pick-ups to do on Monday.

I believe if your a 10%er, then no you don't get paid for new years if your on call.
If your a 90%er, I don't see why you wouldn't. If they are anticipating a slow day for the day after, why can't they do the same thing they are doing for new years eve and just have it as an excused day without pay.

Better yet, its a new year, call in and use 1 hour descretionary day. this way your day off is excused, you get paid for 1 hour and you get your holiday pay cuz your day is an excused time off....

The whole terminal was called? I have not heard anything like this.

Yes the whole terminal. It came from our TM. He had one of the people in the office call everyone. She would not answer any or my questions. The more questions I asked she got pi$$ed and $hitty. When I asked to speak to the TM she said he was in the bathroom. He is always in the bathroom I guess that is where he does his best work. He never called me back. I guess it came down from the RDO.

Yes the whole terminal. It came from our TM. He had one of the people in the office call everyone. She would not answer any or my questions. The more questions I asked she got pi$$ed and $hitty. When I asked to speak to the TM she said he was in the bathroom. He is always in the bathroom I guess that is where he does his best work. He never called me back. I guess it came down from the RDO.

Only thing I can think of is that, your locations freight projections for Monday are extremely low.

At our terminal, if you are available for work, you get paid for the holiday. If you don't get called, it doesn't matter. I am getting day 2 on Saturday plus the holiday.

Up here in the great pacific northwest, There were no linehaul or dock operations Dec. 31, @ POR, in the eve. All the freight we delivered New Years eve was due 1/04 which means we will have very little to do on Mon. This could be their basis for their "on call" call. I know some here will not be working.

Were working Monday, everyone is scheduled as normal. The majority of the routes are already loaded, as the freight was broke yesterday. Dec 31st was a different story, seems most of drivers were told to stay at home, as they only ran a skeleton crew, delivering our major accounts and normal deliveries. Those few drivers that worked were out there just about 12 hours (instead of bringing in more drivers to lighten the load), and they had parttimers on the dock, instead of bringing the fulltime P&D drivers in to get some hours. The steward is already looking into this.

It is the scheduled day b4 and the scheduled day after, so if you dont get called then the next day you get called woild be your day after and you would get paid. Second of all, why did you all answer your phone,show up monday, punch in and then you have proof you were there and if you are in the 90% it does say when put to work, and you were.

I believe if your a 10%er, then no you don't get paid for new years if your on call.
If your a 90%er, I don't see why you wouldn't. If they are anticipating a slow day for the day after, why can't they do the same thing they are doing for new years eve and just have it as an excused day without pay.

Better yet, its a new year, call in and use 1 hour descretionary day. this way your day off is excused, you get paid for 1 hour and you get your holiday pay cuz your day is an excused time off....

90%/10% has nothing to do with holiday pay. as long at you have completed the probationary period they have to pay you for the day. it's not your fault there was no work. if you are ready for work and didnt refuse it, you get paid.

90%/10% has nothing to do with holiday pay. as long at you have completed the probationary period they have to pay you for the day. it's not your fault there was no work. if you are ready for work and didnt refuse it, you get paid.

You are 100% correct and would advise anyone not getting paid for the holiday to grieve under this statement, it is not your fault the company has no work, if you are ready to work.

This happened Christmas last year and everyone was both paid christmas and new years for this reason.