XPO | One in a Million.

StrokerAce

TB Lurker
Credits
There may be one in a million chance that any of you will need this information, but it may help you out one day.

I tried to log on to the trucking forums Monday night and got a "you have been blocked for open proxy" message. I didn't even know what an "open proxy" was, so I wasted four hours of my life trying to figure out what was wrong. All I could find out was that maybe my computer had been hijack by spammers and was using it to email bulk messages across the world.

I ran anti-virus programs and nothing would come up wrong with my computer. Tuesday morning I went to one of the anti-spamming sites called Sorbs, that the trucking forum message said was blocking my IP. After typing in my IP, sure enough it was on the list as a spammer IP. I thought WTF? I noticed that it was blocked on May 25, 2004, over two years ago. It was then I realized that my IP had changed sometime Monday morning. The IP that I had now had been used in the past by a email spammer.

To fix this mess, I went to START then click RUN and typed in cmd and click OK. Then I typed in ipconfig/release. Turned off the computer, unplug everthing, and waited a few hours for it to reset. Turned it back on, plug everthing back in, and went to START, then RUN, and typed in cmd and click OK. Typed in ipconfig/renew. It gave me a new IP and everything is back to normal.

StrokerAce said:
There may be one in a million chance that any of you will need this information, but it may help you out one day.

I tried to log on to the trucking forums Monday night and got a "you have been blocked for open proxy" message. I didn't even know what an "open proxy" was, so I wasted four hours of my life trying to figure out what was wrong. All I could find out was that maybe my computer had been hijack by spammers and was using it to email bulk messages across the world.

I ran anti-virus programs and nothing would come up wrong with my computer. Tuesday morning I went to one of the anti-spamming sites called Sorbs, that the trucking forum message said was blocking my IP. After typing in my IP, sure enough it was on the list as a spammer IP. I thought WTF? I noticed that it was blocked on May 25, 2004, over two years ago. It was then I realized that my IP had changed sometime Monday morning. The IP that I had now had been used in the past by a email spammer.

To fix this mess, I went to START then click RUN and typed in cmd and click OK. Then I typed in ipconfig/release. Turned off the computer, unplug everthing, and waited a few hours for it to reset. Turned it back on, plug everthing back in, and went to START, then RUN, and typed in cmd and click OK. Typed in ipconfig/renew. It gave me a new IP and everything is back to normal.

Nice stoubleshooting Stroker Ace. You jumped through a few more hoops than you needed to but you found your way back on your own.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CFer said:
Nice stoubleshooting Stroker Ace. You jumped through a few more hoops than you needed to but you found your way back on your own.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, when it comes to computers I'm dumber than a sack of rocks. If I hadn't seen the date when it had been blocked, I would have figured it out. I would have never guessed that a IP that someone else used over two years ago could have caused me so much aggravation.

Roadeo said:
Hey CFer What is a better way to cure this problem because it has happen to me also. Thanks

Roadeo, The steps Stroker Ace followed were right. The only thing he didn't need to do was reboot or turn the computer off.
There is no need to reboot, As long as your computer is not behind a router you will get a new IP right away.

If your computer is behind a router, you must renew the IP through the router because technically, the router has the IP from the ISP and the computer is connected to the router.

Anyone with a router should be able to access the setup by opening your browser and going to 192.168.1.1