ABF | Operating ratio 86.9%

ArcBest earnings are impressive, but 86.9 OR isn't the number. All P/L statements are the same. It's the bottom number that counts. That's 91.6, 4% less than 2020. More importantly these are EBITDA numbers. EBITDA means before taxes, depreciation and amortization. Amortization meaning equipment and facilities which cannot be written off at the time of purchase.

ArcBest earnings are impressive, but 86.9 OR isn't the number. All P/L statements are the same. It's the bottom number that counts. That's 91.6, 4% less than 2020. More importantly these are EBITDA numbers. EBITDA means before taxes, depreciation and amortization. Amortization meaning equipment and facilities which cannot be written off at the time of purchase.
ABF Freight (Asset Based) did indeed operate at an 86.9 OR 4th Quarter. If you add in the non-asset based, it comes in a 91.6 OR. Blade, our bonus is based on the Asset Based portion. Nice try at making ABF Freight look worse though. We can always count on your spin on things.

Last edited:
ABF Freight (Asset Based) did indeed operate at an 86.9 OR 4th Quarter. If you add in the non-asset based, it comes in a 91.6 OR. Blade, our bonus is based on the Asset Based portion. Nice try at making ABF Freight look worse though. We can always count on your spin on things.
I think I said the numbers were impressive. Did you miss that part?
It's still true that operating ratio and net profit are different numbers.

RB, when did you get back from England? Has been quiet for a while since you have been gone. What kind of profit is this in pounds/Euro ?
No clue. I am lost with that crazy money. I don't know what anything costs. We put everything on the card and let American Express deal with exchange rates and figure out the price.

Then try these numbers. ABF had $2.6 Billion dollars in Revenue, and $260.7 Million in Operating Income for the calendar year of 2021. If we are going to figure in the non-asset based portion of ArcBest, then we need to go back and re-figure our bonus for 2019 and 2020. I think they owe us some money. LOL!!!

Then try these numbers. ABF had $2.6 Billion dollars in Revenue, and $260.7 Million in Operating Income for the calendar year of 2021. If we are going to figure in the non-asset based portion of ArcBest, then we need to go back and re-figure our bonus for 2019 and 2020. I think they owe us some money. LOL!!!
This article states their drivers will double in size by 2025? What are the thinking? 300-400 lbs each? Bertha, and Buela size?

This article states their drivers will double in size by 2025? What are the thinking? 300-400 lbs each? Bertha, and Buela size?
Trust me when I say that in a lot of cases, we have already achieved the 300-400 lbs. range.LOL!!!

If I read this right they took a $44.7 million loss for the 4th quarter a $109.1 loss for the year the operating ratio came down & the outstanding debt rose $330 million?

Yellow Corporation Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2021 Results Strong Fourth Quarter Results Include Operating Income of $55.8 Million and a 95.7% Operating Ratio OVERLAND PARK, Kan., February 2, 2022 – Yellow Corporation (NASDAQ: YELL) reported results for fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2021. Fourth quarter operating revenue was $1.309 billion and operating income was $55.8 million. In comparison, operating revenue in fourth quarter 2020 was $1.165 billion and operating income was $13.7 million. Net loss for fourth quarter 2021 was $44.7 million, or $0.88 per share, compared to net loss of $18.7 million, or $0.37 per share in fourth quarter 2020.

Yellow's fourth quarter report makes my point. Operating ratios do not indicate the overall health of a company.
Fourth quarter 95.7 operating ratio and fourth quarter operating income of $55.8 million.
Fourth quarter net loss was $44.7 million.
The difference of more than $100 million.

Yellow's fourth quarter report makes my point. Operating ratios do not indicate the overall health of a company.
Fourth quarter 95.7 operating ratio and fourth quarter operating income of $55.8 million.
When it comes to our bonus, the OR of ABF is the only indicator in our contract. Yellow is in an entirely different situation with outstanding debt in the billions thanks to Zollars and company. To my knowledge, the Yellow contract does not even have an OR/MOU in their contract. ArcBest is very healthy for now, so you can quit worrying and wishing hard times on us Blade. Maybe in the future ABF will experience the ”Great Freight Apocalypse” you have predicted due to us Teamsters being overpaid and asking for more thru contract negotiations. Hopefully, that will never happen. But, if it does, you can at least then brag and gloat about how right you were. Would that make you feel better?

Yellow Corporation Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2021 Results Strong Fourth Quarter Results Include Operating Income of $55.8 Million and a 95.7% Operating Ratio OVERLAND PARK, Kan., February 2, 2022 – Yellow Corporation (NASDAQ: YELL) reported results for fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2021. Fourth quarter operating revenue was $1.309 billion and operating income was $55.8 million. In comparison, operating revenue in fourth quarter 2020 was $1.165 billion and operating income was $13.7 million. Net loss for fourth quarter 2021 was $44.7 million, or $0.88 per share, compared to net loss of $18.7 million, or $0.37 per share in fourth quarter 2020.

I think I just mentioned this in the above post….