SAIA | p&d pretripz

badnews12

TB Lurker
Credits
What is the deal with our dispatchers bitching at us lately to be dispatched and, be en-route within 20 minutes of clocking in? I'd like to see one of them find a fueled, and available tractor hook up and pre-trip in 20min. Next quarterly meetings lets see a person from safety show us it can be done in 20min. It takes 10minutes just to fuel the damn things.

Better yet...contact the DOT or a qualified motor carrier enforcement officer and ask them for a "ballpark" number as to how much time it should take you to do a proper pretrip. Get it in writing. Always remember that your CDL belongs to you, and that you are responsible for the safe and satisfactory condition of that rig while you are using it. Do not be bullied by dispatch or any manager. Safety really should be first priority, and if your company doesn't see it that way, then at least you should.

I can pretrip in 20 minutes with no problem. I drive the same tractor everyday and I fuel once a week. For those that don't drive the same tractor and have to fuel daily it can take a bit longer especially if you must wait at the fuel island. Dispatchers have "yard time" that's watched by the TM. What's happening here is simple. A few guys that spend too much time BSing with there buddies ruin it for the rest. Dispatchers know who are hosing them and they will say things to the problem children. If I'm delayed by a marker light (IE) that forces me to visit the shop I just give the dispatcher a call and let him know I will be delayed. No Problem. If my bills are ready I have no problem getting off the yard in 20. Most dispatchers are not that strict and will give you 30 in most cases anyway. Again it's the ones that are just BSing. I see it everyday as I'm driving out the gate. As a city driver if my truck is in the shop and I need to fuel I never fill the truck up. We are told not to. Just put enough in one tank to get through the day. 5 minutes and I'm done.

Last edited:
....As a city driver if my truck is in the shop and I need to fuel I never fill the truck up. We are told not to. Just put enough in one tank to get through the day. 5 minutes and I'm done.....
It's understandable that every department is looking out for itself but partially fueling a tractor to save another 5 minutes, it's just stupid. I, like everyone else, have time constraints, and every night I fuel my linehaul tractor, which gives me and the city driver that uses it during the day, more than enough fuel to complete our assignments. It takes less than eight minutes to completely fuel the tractor plus check fluids. When the time numbers get so tight, that the city boss demands that you do not take an extra 3 or 4 minutes to completely fuel a tractor, that's a clear sign that common sense is leaving the building. Jeez.

There is no time frame in the regulations has to how long a pre-trip should take, only that the driver is satisfied with the safety of the vehicle. Just remember though, it's your license and CSA score....

....As a city driver if my truck is in the shop and I need to fuel I never fill the truck up. We are told not to. Just put enough in one tank to get through the day. 5 minutes and I'm done.....
It's understandable that every department is looking out for itself but partially fueling a tractor to save another 5 minutes, it's just stupid. I, like everyone else, have time constraints, and every night I fuel my linehaul tractor, which gives me and the city driver that uses it during the day, more than enough fuel to complete our assignments. It takes less than eight minutes to completely fuel the tractor plus check fluids. When the time numbers get so tight, that the city boss demands that you do not take an extra 3 or 4 minutes to completely fuel a tractor, that's a clear sign that common sense is leaving the building. Jeez.
As it was explained to us line haul fueling is built into there pay.We just do what we are told. It's not our jobs as P&D drivers to question the dispatchers. Right or wrong.

There is no time frame in the regulations has to how long a pre-trip should take, only that the driver is satisfied with the safety of the vehicle. Just remember though, it's your license and CSA score....
When you drive a new tractor and trailer almost everyday you breeze through pretrips. I cover my ass and never cut corners. I check my fluids and lights and paperwork and I'm out the gate in less than 20. Line haul drivers take longer because of fueling and hooking sets. They never ask them to hurry but I see many do so they can complete there run and get home. You are right it is your license and CSA score that's why it never pays to cut corners.

I get paid mileage, drop n hooks, breakdown, and delay, Nowhere does it say fuel on my paystub.
I'm just saying what we are told. If I'm told to fill both tanks fully I will.We get paid by the hour. I really don't care either way.

Working an inside terminal job, dispatching, dock, or city is the last thing that I would want to do and what's even worse is doing it in a big yard like DLS or HST. Train is wrong, on one thing. Linehaul drivers are held to departure times. If a linehaul driver misses a departure time, then someone is going to ask why. However, Linehaul does not get paid by the hour and there is the difference between Linehaul and City. The only clock involved is my departure time and my dispatcher, whether it is local, regional, or national, couldn't care less how early I start prepping for my shift, as long as I make my departure time. As a Linehaul driver, I can get there as early as I want to, take my time doing pretrip stuff, or as late as I want to, as long as I make departure time.
Train is an experienced driver. In order to get out the gate, he knows what he has to do. If having an assigned tractor, helps Train make his 20 minute dispatch, then why doesn't everyone have an assigned tractor?

With allot of drivers start at close the same time and have city guys getting off at that time, it sure would make it easier to make them departure/ dispatch time if both fuel pumps work. Lately here in GRL and DLS 1 pump is down and 3 to 4 drivers waiting on 1 pump.

Dracula makes an interesting point. If a LH driver misses his cut time by one minute, heads will roll. I do know that if LH leaves late, the computer automatically puts this bills into an extra delivery day. That means that XG shipments fail. Common sense says that this shouldn't be the case, but I didn't write the program. All depends on who you ask as to the answer to the question: who fuels tricks?

The easiest solution to this problem is Linehaul fuels the trucks before starting their run. Linehaul will not be on the clock so there is no ticking off dispatcher wondering why the 20 minute window was not met. I can't see why it would be necessary to refuel in the morning, after finishing a run. My run is 500+ per night. I fuel when I get to HST. That tankload will carry me the rest of the route, what the city guy needs, and back to HST with about a quarter of a tank left. Altogether, not quite 575 miles. There is no need for a city guy to refuel the tractor. In theory, if Linehaul fuels the truck then there shouldn't be any congestion at the pumps, in the morning. The next question is, how many city guys use the same truck?

Just a question and not trying to stir the pot but it sounds like you guys run some small tanks or only have 1 tank. I know everybody is different ,our fleet can run about 1,000 before refueling,.I don't usually run my tanks that empty when it hit's 1/4 it's getting fuel not taking any chances of having to sit somewhere and not have any heat up here in my area

The newer trucks still run 2 tanks but one is smaller to make room for the DEF tank. However, the tanks are more square than round so they can hold more fuel than the old tractors. The older tractor, that I use, could probably run 800, but like you, I don't let it get that low.

The newer trucks still run 2 tanks but one is smaller to make room for the DEF tank. However, the tanks are more square than round so they can hold more fuel than the old tractors. The older tractor, that I use, could probably run 800, but like you, I don't let it get that low.
Thanks Dracula That's the way ours are except the Freightliner I just got has round tanks.our Volvo's and IH run a square tank more or less . The first Volvo's we got in only ran 1 tank but that only lasted until the the company found out it was spec'ed wrong from the factory, (sidenote) I'm in carhaul and some of our stuff is different. Haven't been in a regular road truck in years just saying Stay safe