SAIA | Philosophical/management changes?

Good discussion guys, very thought provoking. I'm beginning to wonder what, if anything, a guy in my position would, could, or should do. I've taken the appropriate steps and followed the chain of command up to this point. This company has given me a lot, so I want to keep that in mind as well. I brought this situation to the attention of a group not involved in the trucking industry, and it was suggested to me that perhaps litigation is the next step. I have been keeping a journal for several years now, and I'm curious to see if it would amount to anything. Down side there is I would automatically be terminated, and may get me blacklisted. If only I had a crystal ball...

Good discussion guys, very thought provoking. I'm beginning to wonder what, if anything, a guy in my position would, could, or should do. I've taken the appropriate steps and followed the chain of command up to this point. This company has given me a lot, so I want to keep that in mind as well. I brought this situation to the attention of a group not involved in the trucking industry, and it was suggested to me that perhaps litigation is the next step. I have been keeping a journal for several years now, and I'm curious to see if it would amount to anything. Down side there is I would automatically be terminated, and may get me blacklisted. If only I had a crystal ball...

I doubt you would be "blacklisted" as the need for qualified and professional drivers is in high demand.
If you have kept a journal of everything, that would be like a bible and could be potentially harmful to some management.
It could be your ticket to a better workplace.

The root of this whole management thing starts with managers who cheat on their numbers the way it works here as was explained to me by a tm that I trust is that the goals for company performance are set by the history of each terminal just like they are an individual business and here where it gets screwed up . First it starts 6-8-10 years or however much earlier the cheating manager is hired in order to make their numbers and get their bonus they cheat on cut times close times city production making drivers work through lunch breaks etc .Ive seen one transfer bills from one city driver who is a go getter to a lazy one aka a tm's pet to make his bph and sph look good they also cheat on maintenance terminal and equipment as to save every penny possible to keep their bonus safe. The problem with this is they were able to hide it for years but when all this electronic stuff and real time dispatching and gps monitoring came along It started to catch up with them. The result is what we see now all this has snow balled over the years and caught up with all those crooked tm's and now they are backed into a corner and everyone knows what happens when you back a mad dog into a corner he attacks everything that comes toward him and that's what you got folks.

I like the way you think suicidejockey... I have often wondered what amount the managerial bonus is. And what specifically goes into that equation to determine the amount. And let's get real for a minute...if a TM gets a bonus, wouldn't it only be right for him/her to share some of that with the people that execute on a daily basis in order to make those numbers in the first place? Like a pizza party for example? Receive your bonus, then share a fraction of it with the employees, and remind them how this is a team, we need each other, etc...? Such a small and simple gesture could really go a long way in support of each of us.

The root of this whole management thing starts with managers who cheat on their numbers the way it works here as was explained to me by a tm that I trust is that the goals for company performance are set by the history of each terminal just like they are an individual business and here where it gets screwed up . First it starts 6-8-10 years or however much earlier the cheating manager is hired in order to make their numbers and get their bonus they cheat on cut times close times city production making drivers work through lunch breaks etc .Ive seen one transfer bills from one city driver who is a go getter to a lazy one aka a tm's pet to make his bph and sph look good they also cheat on maintenance terminal and equipment as to save every penny possible to keep their bonus safe. The problem with this is they were able to hide it for years but when all this electronic stuff and real time dispatching and gps monitoring came along It started to catch up with them. The result is what we see now all this has snow balled over the years and caught up with all those crooked tm's and now they are backed into a corner and everyone knows what happens when you back a mad dog into a corner he attacks everything that comes toward him and that's what you got folks.

Sounds as though you work for YRCF-Orange, because my barn is run exactly as quoted above. Same dishonest fluctuation/manipulation of numbers.

But in the end, manipulating numbers gets you nowhere. Just end up chasing numbers in the end. We are a freight company for gods sake, don't make it harder than it is

SJ ... I wouldn't underestimate corporate. Honestly they are not stupid. They know what's going on in regards to manipulation of numbers. Technology has too many safeguards in place and TM's know it.

Train...this discussion brings me to the phrase of "dime smart and dollar dumb". Safety needs to always be first and foremost, and too often this company is manipulating numbers and doing things that don't promote safety. Great example is my TM constantly texting me. This is unsafe as well as illegal and needs to stop.

Train...this discussion brings me to the phrase of "dime smart and dollar dumb". Safety needs to always be first and foremost, and too often this company is manipulating numbers and doing things that don't promote safety. Great example is my TM constantly texting me. This is unsafe as well as illegal and needs to stop.
You must not answer a text while you are driving. That's on you if you are doing it. Saia always puts safety first. ALWAYS. Perhaps lapses in judgment exist from time to time. Even from management. Nothing is perfect. At the end of the day it's up to you. Rest assured Saia is always improving the way they communicate with the staff. Saia hears you whether you believe it or not. Safety will always be first with Saia. You read that slogan everywhere .... I believe Saia lives that in the culture they have created. Through the dedication in safety programs like the Smith System and many other initiatives. You have certain things you can do to remain anonymous and protect your anonymity if you feel that your TM will retaliate on you for implying he's jeopardizing the safety of you and your co-workers. Texting in and of itself is not illegal unless you answer it. DON'T ANSWER IT UNTIL YOU ARE PULLED OVER AND STOPPED IN A SAFE SPOT. If you have problems that affect safety at your terminal send me a PM and I will help guide you through a process. Trust me. Corporate will not tolerate a rogue TM that does not put safety first. We have a great safety man in our region. He understands numbers mean nothing when safety is sacrificed.

Last edited:
I have seen several T.M's fired for manipulating #'s or so that is the explanation for there dismissal. But if the executive and management bonuses are based on #'s there will always be some sort of manipulation. Their jobs and bonuses are dependant on their #'s just like rank and file's jobs are dependent on their production.

Train...thank you for your thoughts and guidance. Trust me when I tell you that I have exhausted all avenues when it come to the processes that my TM uses on a daily basis. Anonymous tip line, HR, safety have led no where. Only other step I can think of, in house, is Paul peck or Rick himself. I have been keeping a detailed journal of activities that occur that are directly against the written policies. My lawyer wants to proceed, and says we have a great case that Saia would readily settle in order to avoid the publicity. I am praying daily for guidance from th man upstairs, and when He is ready I will have my answer.

Train...thank you for your thoughts and guidance. Trust me when I tell you that I have exhausted all avenues when it come to the processes that my TM uses on a daily basis. Anonymous tip line, HR, safety have led no where. Only other step I can think of, in house, is Paul peck or Rick himself. I have been keeping a detailed journal of activities that occur that are directly against the written policies. My lawyer wants to proceed, and says we have a great case that Saia would readily settle in order to avoid the publicity. I am praying daily for guidance from th man upstairs, and when He is ready I will have my answer.
I could never recommend a legal option. When that happens all things shutdown and anything positive in the works would be lost on your behalf. Things are always moving behind the scenes and to walk away when things may change at any moment is a gamble. Depending on how many years you have invested you may want to hold off. Things could change tomorrow and all the dues you paid would be lost. I just don't want you to throw it all away ... When changes could be just right around the corner.

Train it's been the same at my yard for the last 12 years and nothing is done I made my cut time once in the last two weeks and they miss multiple pick ups every day and our terminal is not that busy so far it's not gotten any attention and don't look like it's going to

Bigbuck this company as im sure you know has been around 90 years. Im sure employees have tried to sue them for everything under the sun.If your looking to make a point with them im really not sure how it will work out for you. Paul Peck is in operations , Marty Ready V.P of human resources might be of a little more help. Good luck to you.

Train it's been the same at my yard for the last 12 years and nothing is done I made my cut time once in the last two weeks and they miss multiple pick ups every day and our terminal is not that busy so far it's not gotten any attention and don't look like it's going to
SJ our barn has late departures every night also. And it is usually the same schedules that are late. Are your barns late departures causing service failures ? If they are i cant imagine it would be tolerated by Atlanta. Too many people have to answer for late departures especially when it causes service failures. I know our T.M has meetings everyday with dock supervisors and they have to explain late closings. As far as the missed pickups usually it is crap freight or another company missed them and they call us.If we are constantly missing the same pickup thats our bad and im sure they will not give us the opportunity to miss them again !

I'm hopeful we can make some improvements in the next couple of years.

SJ our barn has late departures every night also. And it is usually the same schedules that are late. Are your barns late departures causing service failures ? If they are i cant imagine it would be tolerated by Atlanta. Too many people have to answer for late departures especially when it causes service failures. I know our T.M has meetings everyday with dock supervisors and they have to explain late closings. As far as the missed pickups usually it is crap freight or another company missed them and they call us.If we are constantly missing the same pickup thats our bad and im sure they will not give us the opportunity to miss them again !
Great Point .... Cut times usually don't affect service. Missed pick-ups is a different animal. That affects perception and must change. I believe it's mostly a staffing problem and can be fixed. To my understanding Rick wants the operation ratio at 89 .... And that is very much attainable when you consider OD operates in the mid 80's .... We could be closer to 89 now if Saia raised our healthcare premiums like everyone else. If Saia cut others benefits as well. That's why I believe in this companies direction. They take care of their people. When you look at the big picture Saia is the best LTL company in the business to work for. I am very grateful. You should be too >>>>>>>>>> IMO

Last edited:
A bit of a reach ... All public information. But OK .... I can go with that. Your point being that nothing is perfect I suppose. Something that most people know and that I already admitted. In the big picture most of our customers are very happy with us. A great O.R. that's getting better and a union free company that's moving in the right direction. I won't continue this discussion with you any longer on this forum because it serves no useful purpose. I receive PM's on a regular basis in which I can put you and the Teamsters in their place in a not so civil manner. Bring it on HOT SHOT !!!
Kind of easy to have a "Great OR" when your canned response is we have been in business 90 years and we're not paying your claim

I would listen to your lawyer, also whistle blowers law will protect you from retaliation