ODFL | physical ability test

I came on last year in SEA and it was just hooking a set and road test along with pre and post inspections. I dont think anyone here who has hired on lately has done one. and where you worked before like me ,makes you qualified
Thanks.
I was asking for a friend of mine, she's fresh out of school, and was flagged to do the PAT because she has a fairly extensive list of surgeries to repair sports injuries. She'll be working at the Seattle terminal, and being "green", will go through the four week driver training class.

Yeah, they want to make sure she's okay to perform the job and that previous injuries are fully healed. Some employees who had surgery or injuries to wrists, ankles, backs, knees have had to pass a PAT before returning to full duty.

"The PAT is a full-body test, divided into six separate components, that evaluates the test taker’s general strength, agility, and cardiovascular endur- ance. It is graded on a pass/fail basis. To pass, an employee must perform various tasks roughly designed to mimic those required of Line Haul and Pickup and Delivery drivers. The PAT was created for Old Dominion by an independent com- pany in 2001 "to be used in the hiring process."

After my operation my test was: 1. Lift 20 lbs 25 times 4 " over your head. 2. Lift 45 lbs 8 times 4" over your head. 3. Lift 100 lbs to shoulder height, once. 4. Lift and carry 75 lbs 150 feet. 5. Push a sled with 135 lbs on it 20 feet. 6. Pull 85 lbs upward 1 foot. 7. Ascend and descend a Ladder with a height of 18". You have one chance only to pass this test. Good luck

I wanted to bring this back to the top of the forum. This agility testing is getting outrageous. Im aware of at least 3 people that have been off for simple injuries under fmla. 1 came back within the 12 weeks and was still required to this agility test. I don't believe that is legal from all my research. Under 12 weeks fmla the company must accept the doctors certification that you can return and perform your job description. Secondly linehaul drivers don't even close to perform heavy duty work like in the test. Under ADA ive read of cases of people at other types of companies fighting this. They've used the fact that only as small percentage of their job requires lifting. In linehaul case only about 1% of the day involves lifting the dolly. You can't require someone to comeback from surgery 100% healed and ready to perforom a million what if tasks far and beyond your normal and average day. I challenge anyone going through this to fight them. Here's another example of the OD dark side. One driver at a terminal I won't name was off for a surgery, shoulder i believe. When he went to come back they sent him for agility test, couldn't do, likely reinjured himself trying as many have done. About 2 weeks later was sent a retirement check. He called the terminal was told come in we'll do a cake for you. He told them he wasn't retiring he would retake test when physically able. He was told he didn't have an option in the matter. He brought a lawsuit against them. Part of the suit was that others from the same terminal had been off for surgeries and not been required to take the test. They first offered to try and settle and he refused and wanted to take them to court. OD lawyers came back and told him if they went to court their solution would be to fire the other 2 guys that had not been made to take the task...to make things "fair." The lawyer agreed that could pass the muster test in court, so last I heard they had made a settlement and this individual was now driving for another carrier. This entire physical test policy is something David Congdon needs to wake up to. People have tries to call him to talk about it and they get a return call from someone in HR, probabaly DeeDee giving quick short answers, not forwarding them to CEO. The company turning routine surgery into career ending is mind blowing. How can you do this to your people when you claim your people are OD. We now have to be extremely careful. The slightest of injuries can result in loss of income to support our families. I could understand if when someone comes back we sign agreement that if we reinjur the area in question that OD is not responsible. But how in good consience can you take their lively hood away. This is a huge deal, and will become bigger. Do research, watch your back, and fight them. This company seems to loose most suits that end up in the court room. I'll reiterate I really like my, I really like this company. But this topic turns my stomach. Sad to see good people ran over by big corporation.

Well maybe Earl needs pulled out of retirement because I'm with you on that one. Those of us who pay attention can already see where things are headed and we know it's highly likely it's not for the good of the employees (family went away about 4 years ago). It's for ad you said the profit and wallstreet. Our biggest concern maybe that the congdon family doesn't decide its become too big for them to manage and sell out. Starting on too many tangents, better bit my tongue.

Know several of the city guys who have had to take test.Talking to them it is a % test .A total score even you can't do one thing.No problems with them.They were unable to do the 100 pound test.But,still passed&back working.

Well maybe Earl needs pulled out of retirement because I'm with you on that one. Those of us who pay attention can already see where things are headed and we know it's highly likely it's not for the good of the employees (family went away about 4 years ago). It's for ad you said the profit and wallstreet. Our biggest concern maybe that the congdon family doesn't decide its become too big for them to manage and sell out. Starting on too many tangents, better bit my tongue.
"Family" died with John Yowell.....

My guess is this is more an "insurance" thing. They don't like paying disability. If they can prevent it, they will.

Just wanted to bring this back up since I'm looking at 12 weeks out.Anyone else have took the test.I did get a copy of the test last week.Freak'n Crazy.The bad thing is you have to take the test after Doctor Releases you.If you fail test you can't retake till 30 days later.Remember you have been released from Doctor so there's no disability payments the way I take it

Just wanted to bring this back up since I'm looking at 12 weeks out.Anyone else have took the test.I did get a copy of the test last week.Freak'n Crazy.The bad thing is you have to take the test after Doctor Releases you.If you fail test you can't retake till 30 days later.Remember you have been released from Doctor so there's no disability payments the way I take it

We've had people take it, fail and then get more physical therapy and go back month or even 2 months or later and pass and retain job. However it is true once your Dr says yourre OK to return you will not get anymore short or long term disability eve. If you fail the test. Some drivers have been forced into bankruptcy by this. You are on your own. Under fmla if your doctor signs off on their paperwork and for that matter even attaches a letter that you are capable of completing your job description. And you return within the allowed 12 weeks of fmla protection, they cannot require you to take the test. If they insist, you go to the department of labor website and find the nearest office and call them. Explain to them your doctor signed off, you would likely pass a dot physical and then explain the overkill and unrealistic tasks of the test they want versus your typical day at work.