Central Transport | Pjax-Chris

as every company has some issues but pjax as said before you got raises twice a year .50 each time and you went to work and you knew you did your part.if you had an issues with equipment for the most part they would take care of it. if you did your job they pretty much left you alone. and said nothing no screwing with start times. no issues on pto days if you needed off they gave it to you. not like now. "runaway" you pretty much covered what i had written before but worded better when i get going on my soap box the words are in my head but my fingers can't type fast enough and i jump from this to that. it is a damn shame that things have gone in the direction that they have the other thing if you were given an area to do on peddle run that was were you went not like now all over the land .the puppets at the helm don't know what to do unless they email somebody. they can't think on there own. they say to much on labor cost but they will hold you up for hours on end waiting for a box or one skid and then you have to travel 50miles or more to 1st stop and doing pick up's the same way. everything is ass backwards. no common sence applied at all. it is easy to sit behind a screen crunching numbers but if you don't know what your bread winners are up against or don't care how can you ever turn it around. we all know the anwser to that question. i am one who thinks on solving problems with simple solutions. but at vitran we make the simplest thing complex.and then ask why it is not working .my grandfather used to say this all the time keep it simple stupid. i like to say work smarter not harder.like you said if it is not broken don't fix it tinker with it just put your ego aside and leave it alone.

Brother Glory....Your grandfather was a wise man....My daddy always told me.....Be the right man in the right place at the right time doing the right thing in the right way....I don't think Vitran will let me carry on my fathers legacy in a manner I had hoped. As he looks at me from above I'm quite sure he knows I'm in the wrong place to be the kind of man he hoped for. But its not over yet dad....Not by a long shot. I will be the man you want me to be....Just probley not here....Hold on Pops.

I just wonder if Pjax was once a good place to work..A place like Chris when you woke up in the morning you looked forward to going to work...Where everyone pulled together because they knew things would always be better than the day before. And truly,,,,They were. Can we honestly look at Vitran today and say we are better off than yesterday...Sadly the anwser is no.

In my opinion its, the Vitran quazi-military style of management that has killed the company. (Everything is looked at from a punitive angle) Another words you have a list of don'ts and that is the only measure of success or failure. You are always focused on watching your back and not working as a team to accomplish your goals. It's all about blaming the other person and never about fixing the process and moving forward, so you end up with a bunch of people that are super good at covering their butts, but can't do squat beyond that.

PJAX stood for Pittsburgh-Johnstown-Altoona--Expresss. PJAX got its start in 1982 I believe after Donnie Hammel Sr. broke away from his older brother and started PJAX. Before that, Donnie and his older brother owned what was called "Hammel Express" for 5 years or so. They got into a fight and Donnie broke off and started PJAX. Hammel Express became PittOhio as it is now known. PJAX was always smaller in revenue because Hammel Express/PittOhio had about a 5 to 7 year head start on PJAX. Donnie Sr. had three sons involved in the company ( Jeffery--Donnnie Jr. and Jimmy) . When the old man started to think about retirement he brought in Mark Kosovec who was a CPA by trade to help Donnie Jr. run the company. From what I have heard, PJAX was always a highly profitable company operating typically in the very low 90's up until the last couple years before selling to Vitran they had a bad year and operated at a 97 which is still not bad. Raises came every year for everyone, typically 3%-5%. In 1999 their revenues were 59.5 million dollars. When they sold out to Vitran in 2006 their revenues were 179 million dollars. PJAX knew how to grow , they did it organically through growth and internal expansion of their service areas. They never ever purchased another truck line to grow.

one thing you forgot we sold our service as next day anywhere in the system ( at least until we opened chicago then the east coast became a two day point) so if you were in Detroit and needed it in Baltimore next day call PJAX I think we were the only carrier that promised next day service anywhere in our system without an additional charge (I may be wrong).

Pjax had a next day service they called.. HOT SHOT!!! they charged customer for next day service and notified shipper who and what time it was received. it was a minimal charge.

your right "blue chip" hot shot was another company /i worked for , vitran had silver service. don't know if they still have it. Probaly in up in OS&d .

one thing you forgot we sold our service as next day anywhere in the system ( at least until we opened chicago then the east coast became a two day point) so if you were in Detroit and needed it in Baltimore next day call PJAX I think we were the only carrier that promised next day service anywhere in our system without an additional charge (I may be wrong).

spot on there Fudgie, good memory Bro!