FedEx Freight | Platooning

Yes, a computer is capable of making those decisions .

In one situation, it will make more calculations, and compute more variables, and possible outcomes than you will in a year of driving, and will react better than you.

5yrs ago, we had humans that could beat the best computers in chess.
Today, a computer has won the game before the human gets to his 2nd move

The pace at which technology is gaining is absurd..

Side note: I am very much an analog/manual mindset individual and prefer things that way
But, I am also very aware of where we are headed.
If I didn’t know better, and I may not, I’d say you have an embedded financial interest in this? You WANT to see this happen? You WANT these family-wage jobs with decent benefits to basically turn into no more than a burger-flipping job (no disrespect)? That’s the ‘New America’ right???....drive DOWN wages, drive DOWN (or eliminate) benefits so ‘the boys’ behind this whole driver-less technology can profit!! Yay!!!!!

I can see this bs taking place in the next few years but getting rid of drivers all together will be awhile. When they get rid of railroad engineers that’s when our jobs are gonna be on the line. Trains don’t really need an engineer anymore but they are still there. Public doesn’t like the idea of unmanned trains. How are they gonna feel about unmanned trucks that they share the roads with?

You do know that the Jetson's is a cartoon and that Star Wars is a movie series and not a documentary, right? By the way, will a computer know when to hit the grass, to avoid a pileup or will it lockup when there is no concrete place to go?

Yep, I also know Dick Tracy, his 2 way wrist radio, Buck Rogers and his space ship, these were cartoons but look
what has come to pass.
In the 50s, we starting getting trucks with 10 spd on 1 stick (Fuller Roadranger),most trucks still had 2 sticks
In 55, we got a fleet of hydramatics, Ryder was a proving ground for GM, after all the problems we had with these,
I thought you would never see automatics, "look around you"
A lot of guys have never drained an air tank on a truck, used to be an everyday requirememt.
You carried a 9/16s and 3/4 wrench, fitted most slack adjusters, keep your brakes adjusted, "take a look today,
automatic slack adjusters or disc brakes"
Parking brakes? no such thing, don't think we had a truck with the emergency brake that actually worked.
Today you have plastic reflectors for breakdowns, we had smudge pots filled with kerosene wicks.
I don't think all this self driving will be here in my lifetime, but just sit back and say, "Wow, never thought I'd
see this" IT'S COMING.

Yep, I also know Dick Tracy, his 2 way wrist radio, Buck Rogers and his space ship, these were cartoons but look
what has come to pass.
In the 50s, we starting getting trucks with 10 spd on 1 stick (Fuller Roadranger),most trucks still had 2 sticks
In 55, we got a fleet of hydramatics, Ryder was a proving ground for GM, after all the problems we had with these,
I thought you would never see automatics, "look around you"
A lot of guys have never drained an air tank on a truck, used to be an everyday requirememt.
You carried a 9/16s and 3/4 wrench, fitted most slack adjusters, keep your brakes adjusted, "take a look today,
automatic slack adjusters or disc brakes"
Parking brakes? no such thing, don't think we had a truck with the emergency brake that actually worked.
Today you have plastic reflectors for breakdowns, we had smudge pots filled with kerosene wicks.
I don't think all this self driving will be here in my lifetime, but just sit back and say, "Wow, never thought I'd
see this" IT'S COMING.
Back in your day you went down the mountain with one foot on the brake and one foot on the running board...just in case you had to bail!!

The initial investment to automate driving will pay for itself super quick.
Your salary of one year, + your benefits will pay to update a unit.
People are far more expensive to maintain than equipment.
I'm not saying it's coming tomorrow, next week, or even in 5yrs, but make no mistake, it's coming in our lifetime.

You overestimate your importance.
You overvalue your worth.
The same could be said of you. Don’t care about what the rest of you do, but once I pay off a vehicle I don’t buy another until mine is worn out. 15-20 years worth genius. Even then I will opt to buy a vehicle I drive not a computer. Go ahead and tell gov will force me too. Not gonna happen down here bud

Back in your day you went down the mountain with one foot on the brake and one foot on the running board...just in case you had to bail!!

Yep, was the same going up (old) Fancy Gap, one cylinder misfire, you could roll backwards, never had this happen to me, but Hennis Freight out of Winston, wrecked so many trucks on a certain curve, it was named
the (Hennis Hole)
Guys that talk about running Fancy Gap, should see the real Gap, southbound trucks have been banned since I 77
opened.

Yep, was the same going up (old) Fancy Gap, one cylinder misfire, you could roll backwards, never had this happen to me, but Hennis Freight out of Winston, wrecked so many trucks on a certain curve, it was named
the (Hennis Hole)
Guys that talk about running Fancy Gap, should see the real Gap, southbound trucks have been banned since I 77
opened.
Yep, been up the old road a few times but never down...I hear if you get caught going down the hill they’ll put you under the jail

Today’s Gap isn’t much of a hill anyways, usually run 70 all the way to the bottom

Yep, been up the old road a few times but never down...I hear if you get caught going down the hill they’ll put you under the jail

Today’s Gap isn’t much of a hill anyways, usually run 70 all the way to the bottom

The old road from Cana, north has changed over the years.
My first trip over the gap, was an A50 Mack gas burner, 431 in engine, 5 spd direct, no duplex.
When I got to my destination, I tossed and turned about 10 hrs., dreading the trip back down.
When I got back to Charl. the old Mack had no defects except the seat, my fanny had chewed out the bottom.

According to Fred, “it’ll make people more productive.”

Let's look at the entire quote:

"And for those of you wondering what happens to humans in this robotic future, Fred has some words of inspiration. “Don’t be afraid of technology and innovation and robotics. It makes people more productive. It makes goods less expensive. It makes life better.”

It WILL be DIFFERENT. Better? That is just a little bit subjective, and remains to be seen...

Let's look at the entire quote:

"And for those of you wondering what happens to humans in this robotic future, Fred has some words of inspiration. “Don’t be afraid of technology and innovation and robotics. It makes people more productive. It makes goods less expensive. It makes life better.”

It WILL be DIFFERENT. Better? That is just a little bit subjective, and remains to be seen...
I was being facetious...

I can see both sides of the debate here but let’s all be realistic for a minute...

We all know what happens when you catch a YRC, XPO, Averitt, etc, it’s takes a minimum of 3 miles to complete a pass!! Now let’s factor in all companies participating in platooning (3 trucks each)...in order to complete a pass safely and continue platooning, it’s gonna take at least 10 miles for all three trucks to complete such a pass!!

I can see the motoring public loving this...it’s not like they love us already!! Soon they’ll be a ban on when trucks can platoon (ex: outside a 50 mile radius of any metro) in order not to “obstruct the flow traffic”...it’ll be no different than banning us from the two left lanes even though most of the idiot 4-wheelers ride in the right lanes!!