Yellow | Poor Management

uncle wiggly

TB Regular
Credits
Is anybody else expieriencing poor management in their region? I don't mean your average run of the mill incompetance, I'm talking major malfeasance? Here in LOU we have some major problems with the meet turns. 13 utility drivers in a tiny terminal.....(PHI has 6 and they're twice our size) 4 of our UE's haven't left the yard since the implementation of the change. Our meet turn lanes that the company wanted so badly are being undercut by the CTI/MEM lane, not to mention that 2 of the 6 meets that we're supposed to run with LIR are being cancelled every day because we have 2 LIR drivers in bed. Our STL turn is being sabotaged internally as well. They put the driver off duty every time he walks through the door. 2 or three hours hold time every night.....1 hook an hour is all they do....(the TM laughs at that ) Our meet with RCH hinges on his prompt return with the RCH freight. If you look in the computer, they show 2 RCH pups loaded to go but they send 1 LOU and 1 RCH back with the early guy. The late guy brings the other split back and the RCH meet never works. He gets back late and the STL leaves late...viscious circle so it is.....(sounds like bigfoot LOL)
My TM doesn't seem to be concerned with YRCW as a whole, just whatever happens in his own little "Kingdom" if you will. I guess I need to get my flashlight out and start exposing the bugs that could be squashed if somebody in K.C. would open their eyes.....UW...."a lonely crusader in the battle against poor freight company management..." I want that on my tombstone......:chairshot:

Poor Management at CTI

Rumor has it that there's a labor problem in CTI. Linehual manager from COL is now line haul manager at CTI too. Why does it always seems that labor problems move when management moves? They ruined COLS, to get rid of the "labor" problem. How can a labor problem go to a "no work rule" terminal?
Maybe it's not the labor that was the problem at COL, but the local and regional management. Now it's followed them to CTI (very few COL drivers went to CTI, they dispersed to IND/CVE and elsewhere) de-de-dee.....
Another reason for KC to get their head out of a bucket of ...........(fill in your favorite comment)

Brains ?

anyone with any degree of brain wave has long since had the door in the Bee hind. All that is left are the numbers people and the Yes We Can Team.
Good thing the circus is coming to town!
Help Wanted
We need a few new clowns
Work for the greatest show in freight
State of the art dock stand
No Air
No HEAT
13 hour days ( No forced OT )
If you hate your wife and kids this is the job for you.
Direct deposit
No brain wave required !!

To be honest, I think he's on the working end of the circle. They have about 50% of the LIR board working on average I'd say. They are frequently cancelling both meet and laydown guys. The more desperate ones go to the extra board and skim off the little thats falls there. The word keeps coming down "...be patient, we'll get it worked out." Those asking us to be, however, are still getting a paycheck during the "Patient" process. The rest of us just suffer.

I think we are going to go back to the break bulk spoke system. The end of the line road guy is killing this company. They were so worried about divide and conquer that they have destroyed the revenue machine. Now that YRCW owns it all maybe they will start making money again. We have road trucks sitting at end of lines while we wait 2 hours for a truck and hook at a break bulk. Eol drivers run empty to CVE sun and then start there week. By tues they are out of sync to take there own freight home and go through LCP and MBK to go home. Its insane.

Wiggly does miss Lancaster.....notice I didn't say LCP. I have a 16 yr old Son that plays football for Manheim Central......My Parental units and my Sister are both still back there along with the love of my life that can't make up her mind if she wants to follow me yet one more time.......this all hinges on a skewed and corrupt bidding process where junior men were the victors and those with seniority took it in the a$$.....I'm running RFO 3 rounds a week on a start time......not breaking the bank but I'm getting by. The heart is whats killing me........can't wait for the bar to open here at the lovely Quality Inn.....

Don't feel alone. Rumor has it that they are closing LH in TXR. A few Brothers sold and bought (moved 100-1000 miles) because of a promised new hometown. Now we are waiting to see where we get to bump in.
I see 2 more shifts coming because of the re-re-planning of the north American super hiway sestem.
This Port Huron to Laredo I-69 thing has got YRC jumping the gun. CVE/RFO have their west coast road set. It's the Exacts that the salary's can't figure out.
Going back to the spokes is eminent, with a few modifications.
The economy will determin the volume.
Why is COL an end of line like DET? Are the Teamsters truly fighting NAFTA/NAU?

I'm a feelin Yer pain!!! Just spent a week or so at home, getting it ready to sell. After the latest week of game, my wife has announced she terminated her LR job search until something works itself out. The new playing field will probably extend my excile from the wife n kids at least another 3 or 4 months.

I had a belief they were going to try and get this fixed until what I consider a blatant violation of the COO occurred the other day. Its one thing when you hear they're gonna get it fixed and the problem is that MEM is running 18 of these relays a week. However, someone decided to change 3 of the meet drivers dispatch in LOU and send them straight to LIR, they cancelled some of the LIR meet drivers that were supposed to meet them for that day and the next. They also cancelled a LIR to LOU bid driver, the day they sent the the 3 LOU guys home. When the company is actively breaking/circumventing bid runs they set up, rather than fixing whatever the problem is to make them work according to plan, its time to realize we're screwed IMO.

Wiggly does miss Lancaster.....notice I didn't say LCP. I have a 16 yr old Son that plays football for Manheim Central......My Parental units and my Sister are both still back there along with the love of my life that can't make up her mind if she wants to follow me yet one more time.......this all hinges on a skewed and corrupt bidding process where junior men were the victors and those with seniority took it in the a$$.....I'm running RFO 3 rounds a week on a start time......not breaking the bank but I'm getting by. The heart is whats killing me........can't wait for the bar to open here at the lovely Quality Inn.....

Don't feel alone. Rumor has it that they are closing LH in TXR. A few Brothers sold and bought (moved 100-1000 miles) because of a promised new hometown. Now we are waiting to see where we get to bump in.
I see 2 more shifts coming because of the re-re-planning of the north American super hiway sestem.
This Port Huron to Laredo I-69 thing has got YRC jumping the gun. CVE/RFO have their west coast road set. It's the Exacts that the salary's can't figure out.
Going back to the spokes is eminent, with a few modifications.
The economy will determin the volume.
Why is COL an end of line like DET? Are the Teamsters truly fighting NAFTA/NAU?
I think you are most likely correct that the meet turn between TXR-STL will come to an end. There were supposed to be 5 of them a day(mon-fri) and TXR only got 3 drivers in the change. When the COO started in early July we at STL had CVE and beyond freight coming out of every seam and we were running that freight to CVE. After about 3 weeks the braintrust at Overland Park changed something and we now run most of the same freight to IND. I remember the word "Velocity" being used in the same sentence as " the freight will hit less terminals" so it will get there faster.....What Happened?

next step: grievance

I'm a feelin Yer pain!!! Just spent a week or so at home, getting it ready to sell. After the latest week of game, my wife has announced she terminated her LR job search until something works itself out. The new playing field will probably extend my excile from the wife n kids at least another 3 or 4 months.

I had a belief they were going to try and get this fixed until what I consider a blatant violation of the COO occurred the other day. Its one thing when you hear they're gonna get it fixed and the problem is that MEM is running 18 of these relays a week. However, someone decided to change 3 of the meet drivers dispatch in LOU and send them straight to LIR, they cancelled some of the LIR meet drivers that were supposed to meet them for that day and the next. They also cancelled a LIR to LOU bid driver, the day they sent the the 3 LOU guys home. When the company is actively breaking/circumventing bid runs they set up, rather than fixing whatever the problem is to make them work according to plan, its time to realize we're screwed IMO.

File, file, file! Cover them up with paper!

:bicycle:

Conserve gasoline !!!
Flatten the tires on your neighbors convertible!

Yeah and get them heard 6 months from now after you've alienated all the people you care about......We have local hearings tomorrow.....I gotta meditate before I go over there......ohmmmmm......ohmmmmmmm........ohmmmmmm. I get one eye roll and I'm gonna SNAP.....

Give us the Skinny on the results. Inquiring minds want to know!!! :1036316054:

I agree with your statement about alienating everybody you work with also. Our TM is awesome. I have never worked for a greater guy. Our steward is aces also. If they weren't so wonderful to work with, I'd would've cranked up the paper mill here already. As long as you give them 110%, they give you 110% back.
If the whole company was this way, we'd be number one in the Fortune 500 IMO.

Yeah and get them heard 6 months from now after you've alienated all the people you care about......We have local hearings tomorrow.....I gotta meditate before I go over there......ohmmmmm......ohmmmmmmm........ohmmmmmm. I get one eye roll and I'm gonna SNAP.....

Patience

Yes the grievance procedure can be a long, sometimes frustrating process...but if you have a legitimate grievance and DON'T file, how long does it take to resolve?

uw.

this aint central pennsylvania, this is central states.

if you have a valid grievance with substantiated evidence, fill out the form and hit the timeclock with it.

just scrutinize it like the arbitrator would and remember that you cannot tell YELLOW how to service their/our customers (especially as the result of a greivance, been there done that).

IF THEY ARE REDUCING EMPTY MILES BY DOING WHAT THEY ARE DOING THERE AINT NO CLAIM (remember fuel is 4 bucks a gallon).

if they're tweaking the freight flow in the face of a valid claim they'll pay if they aint, they won't.

you don't think they're done tweaking this velocity network yet, do you?

the bumpy lanes will be tweaked or eliminated and the smooth ones will be enhanced s'more.

remember, all the grievances pertaining to the recent change have to be heard at the COO panel and not at the local level.

so anything you file has to be at least worth the planefare for someone to present it.

Most grievances are about:
1) who is doing what on the dock/yard.
2) utility pulling road loads.
3) drivers running over drivers
The Stewards are in a spot protecting their barns. All they want is the contract honored.
It would be nice if there was a complete contract with sup's available online. If every member knew the rules the Steward's could concentrate on enforcement without having to search for every violation.

As long as Brothers are doing the work the fixes are minor. But allowing dues paying casuals is VERY bad. Casuals are getting 50+ hours/wk. This is NOT good for the Brotherhood.

Now we have the merge added into the mix. I see a merged bid coming 01/09?

If casuals were limited to 20+/- hours/wk (NO dues) I believe a more secure Brotherhood would result.

Second most important, I believe, is that freight arrives at it's destination un-damaged.

mdR

You are correct. "Liar, Liar, Pants on fire", is not grounds for a grievance in and of itself. You need to establish some proof of a violation. I think we have it here and am in process of checking it out.

<snip>
As long as Brothers are doing the work the fixes are minor. But allowing dues paying casuals is VERY bad. Casuals are getting 50+ hours/wk. This is NOT good for the Brotherhood.

Now we have the merge added into the mix. I see a merged bid coming 01/09?

If casuals were limited to 20+/- hours/wk (NO dues) I believe a more secure Brotherhood would result.
<snip>
mdR

Unless you're talking about the new part-time casuals, what exactly is your problem with a casual in general?? A dues paying casual is every bit as much a Teamster as you are. Over my many years in the craft I've been a casual many times at various jobs when my seniority list job was slow or else when my seniority list job went under and I didn't yet get hired to another seniority position. There were many guys who preferred to spend their whole careers as casuals. They just didn't want to be on a seniority list and be obligated to show up for work every day and just wanted the freedom to take off whenever they wanted. They were still dues paying red blooded Teamsters.

The Teamster brotherhood doesn't become more secure by limiting casual hours. The Teamster brotherhood becomes more secure by having all Teamsters (seniority and casuals alike) becoming more involved in THEIR union.

SIGH, I have concluded I lack sufficient grounds to file. I guess I'll just hang out on TB until we rebid next month.:nutkick:

You are correct. &quot;Liar, Liar, Pants on fire&quot;, is not grounds for a grievance in and of itself. You need to establish some proof of a violation. I think we have it here and am in process of checking it out.