ABF | Pretty picture: I have questions

hobie

TB Lurker
Credits
The Richmond TM said he needs drivers to start now. I have submitted ap. and he said it looks good. He said it would take approx 1 month for background checks. If I get on and start at bottom of board, and probation period ends on good note. On an average, how many hrs can I expect to work ea. week?
Can I get laid off if another teamster driver from Roadway or Yellow gets laid off and wants to drive for ABF? How long does it take to get benefits? He said that he needs drivers now. If I start will I get to drive right away? I asked about winter hrs. He said they slow down but drivers get about 40 hrs a week working 4 days @ 10hr a day. Help!

The Richmond TM said he needs drivers to start now. I have submitted ap. and he said it looks good. He said it would take approx 1 month for background checks. If I get on and start at bottom of board, and probation period ends on good note. On an average, how many hrs can I expect to work ea. week?
Can I get laid off if another teamster driver from Roadway or Yellow gets laid off and wants to drive for ABF? How long does it take to get benefits? He said that he needs drivers now. If I start will I get to drive right away? I asked about winter hrs. He said they slow down but drivers get about 40 hrs a week working 4 days @ 10hr a day. Help!

I don't know about city terminals about how many hours you will work each week.Benefits you will pick up after you get through probation but you might have to pay the difference.See hear in the northeast if your short hours in a qtr. you have to pay the difference if you want your insurance, if you don't pay then you just go with out for 3 months.I don't now about down there,here in the northeast you have to work an average of 3 days a week to pay your bennies.As for a YRC employee coming in there :1036316054::1036316054:as long you were hired before him or her you can't get laid off they can't jump over you just because their a teamster.It's first come first serve.Good luck I hoped that helped a little bit.

hobie, If someone from YRC or any other union company gets laid off and they want to work for ABF then they must fill out a app for ABF and hope that ABF calls them. If they do get hired at ABF then they will have a seniority date behind you making you the senior driver.
Just because they are Teamster companies, they are still totally different companies and you have to go thru a hire process with any company to work there.
As far as hours and all that other stuff goes. It may be tuff the first couple of years but if you hang in there it will be the best move you ever made as long as the Teamsters union is alive in the freight industry. However if the Teamsters ever was to die in the freight industry then we can all (union and non union) kiss our good paying and good benefit jobs goodbye because once these companies know there is no more threat of the “big bad Teamster mobsters” then they will reek havoc on their employees.
It is obvious that you know very little about union freight companies so I would like to welcome you to the Teamster family and ask that you get to know your union and how it benefits us all. Be proud to be a part of the Teamster family, show up at the monthly meetings and support our union. Don’t just be another person that works a union job just for the pay and benefits.
Good luck with ABF hobie :1036316054: